Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

Looking for good horror wads

Horror maps like circus.wad (I think that's what it's called) are fun. I'm looking for good horror maps. I'd especially like it if the wad does some thing different like Lasting light. Help appreciated.

Let's get the usual suspects out of the way first.

The map you're thinking of is Happy Time Circus.

It also has a much improved sequel.

There is also Asylum of the Wretched, an atmospheric map for Boom compatible ports (I think, might just be limit removing, the text file doesn't say) that achieves a lot with just DeHackEd changes and good design.

The Ghoul's Forest 3 is a jumpscare-y ZDoom map where the horror comes from the screamers and how outmatched you are against the ghouls. I'd like to have linked to Ghoul's World, which is the improved, screamer-less version, but it isn't on /idgames.

The two big horror WADs for GZDoom are Unloved and The City of the Damned: Apocalypse. Both use atmosphere and GZDoom-specific level design to invoke a feeling of deep wrongness, but in different ways. TCotD's theme is corruption by an outside force, while Unloved is more a spiral into madness.

Unloved also has an incomplete sequel that BlueEagle discontinued because he got into a really bad argument with unpleasantness on every side.

Solarn said:

Let's get the usual suspects out of the way first.

The map you're thinking of is Happy Time Circus.

I've actually played Happy Time Circus. It wasn't what I was looking for. But the other stuff like Unloved and CoTD I'll try. Yeah... I want maps that feels deeply wrong. So thanks. Since Doom horror maps aren't as many as other types of maps, I'll try whatever I can get.

Memfis said:

Mall of Mayhem is a good horror wad taking place in a realistically designed mall. Very nice selection of custom graphics.

I was impressed by the first 1/3 of the map, good atmosphere and with fun moments. Then there were many annoyances like unobvious interactive switches, way too much repeated shotgunning of high-HP monsters, and an unexpected death trap. A shame.

Marcaek said:

Buttpain

It's not what you'd probably expect from the name. :P

I haven't played this through yet. I'll get back to you when I've finished. So far, 2 problems really stood out:

1.Many rooms are two dark to see anything.
2.The flashlight has very insignificant effect.

But besides that, it seems like a master piece. Thanks
EDIT: I AM SUCH AN IDIOT! I accidentally replied to the wrong guy.

Zulk-RS said:

I haven't played this through yet. I'll get back to you when I've finished. So far, 2 problems really stood out:

Make sure you have dynamic lights enabled!

Ancient EviL said:

Here's my WAD, my second ever, tell me what you think if you get the chance! It's kind of a survival horror wad, not sure if it's what you're looking for, but it is horror.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u056juall914mt2/The+Haunt.zip

EDIT: Dynamic lights? Okay.

Army of Darkness wad.

Excellent Doom wad. Feels more like a survival horror. Large open first level, scary-creepy, and just dang good. Seems underrated.