Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fulgrim

Resident Evil: HD Remaster

Well, it's on Steam for 20 bucks.

So far I'm enjoying it. They updated the models, added better lighting and put a lot of detail into the environments. Some sections where rebuilt from the ground up as well. But, there are some downsides It does carry over some of the bad camera angles from the Game Cube release and it's clear in a few sections that some textures and other resources where not updated.

Also, they did introduce a new control setup as well that makes controlling a character less like driving a tank. But for those of us that liked the tank controls, you can switch between the two setups.

I'd say this is the definitive version of Resident Evil and while new players to the series will have fun playing it, it's still old school survival horror. So don't count on the game changing your mind about old school s.h. games if you already don't like them.

So it's basically the same game, newer graphics? Kind of cool then if they didn't mess with the core gameplay at all. If it goes on sale I was thinking of buying it. Now we need a Dino Crisis Re-Release.

Clonehunter said:

So it's basically the same game, newer graphics? Kind of cool then if they didn't mess with the core gameplay at all. If it goes on sale I was thinking of buying it. Now we need a Dino Crisis Re-Release.

More or less, yes. Seems like the only changes where the rebuilt areas and new control setup. The redone areas simply replaced the worst areas of the game cube and ps 1 versions of the game. So they are welcome changes.

Personally I'm still hoping for a Silent Hill 1 - 4 HD release. Or just a Silent Hill 2 HD.

Fulgrim said:

Personally I'm still hoping for a Silent Hill 1 - 4 HD release. Or just a Silent Hill 2 HD.

They did, but it's shit.

I want to buy this too. I played the original for Playstation all the time. I hope they also do 2 and 3. Those three are the core of the series. I liked code Veronica, but that's when I feel the series started to go into a direction I didn't like.

Oh, you know I'd been looking forward to this one for a while. Kind of funny how Capcom's essentially made this as a "sort-of sorry but not really admitting we were wrong" apology for screwing up Resident Evil 5 and 6.

Kind of a bummer they didn't update everything, but at least now ResE1 can be played on non-legacy hardware.

Now let's just hope Microsoft doesn't screw us over compatibility-wise with future Windows versions.

Neptune.... never fails to scare me. It's funny how small the shark was in the original Resident Evil compared to the remake where they made it just freakin' HUGE.

Patrol1985 said:

Neptune.... never fails to scare me. It's funny how small the shark was in the original Resident Evil compared to the remake where they made it just freakin' HUGE.

The guard house in general was probably the scariest part of the game. I remember how creepy the music was in the original.

One thing in Director's Cut about the Guardhouse (or Residence, at it's called in REmake) was the first statue pushing exercise; frustrating as fuck to get it wrong every time you have to pass one of the holes in the floor, resulting in a 5-second strangling from Plant 42. Hardly an issue (unless you suck at the game and have no herbs left) outside of purely being an unnecessary annoyance brought on by some Capcom dev deciding that a guessing game is a good idea.

I think the coolest thing Capcom could do for its old-school resident evil fans, is officially remake/finish off Resident Evil 1.5 (what was originally supposed to be Resident Evil 2, but scrapped).

I remember seeing the previews for it back in the day in one of those old gaming magazines (Gamepro I think). They were supposed to have zombies with different body types. They were also supposed to have cockroach-human hybrids.

I still haven't' checked out the ones made by modders

The groans of the zombies sound very eerie.

As a Resident Evil fan I definitely buy this. As kontra kommando said, please capcom do justice to 1.5 version, we desperately want it. If I remember right the original 1.5 demo was in some disc that came with magazine or something

I wonder how it would be, modding the original playstation version of resident evil. Since the backgrounds are pre-rendered images, with 3D models super-imposed on them; you could take pics, and upload your own as new areas.

The Remaster is awesome. I never got to play it on GC so it's all new to me. The first crimson head startled me so bad I had to quit lol. I saw him raise in the mirror but left the room and thought I saw him running, but figured I was imagining things then the fucker caught up to me outside first safe room.

Kontra Kommando said:

I think the coolest thing Capcom could do for its old-school resident evil fans, is officially remake/finish off Resident Evil 1.5 (what was originally supposed to be Resident Evil 2, but scrapped).

I still haven't' checked out the ones made by modders

By my understanding, all of that is based on an actual leak of a very rare copy of Resident Evil 1.5. In its original form, the game was barely functional. I have an old copy of the slightly fixed up version. The game crashes if you fire certain weapons at enemies, picking up items would break the game, and most rooms were only accessible via debug commands. Worthy of note, someone found the unused body armor models still within the prototype, but it was only accessible via RAM hacking.

Don't expect Capcom to release anything official pertaining to 1.5; the director behind Resident Evil 2 actively ignores or rejects requests for details or information about the canceled game.

On another note, I was very surprised to see a PC version of the REmake pop up at all. Considering how Capcom lost the source code to the Outbreak games, I was amazed they still even have the source code for their older projects.

Edit:

Waffenak said:

If I remember right the original 1.5 demo was in some disc that came with magazine or something

I've never heard such a thing; what you're probably thinking of is the now-rare demo that came with early prints of Resident Evil: Director's Cut in the United States. I can't say if other regions came with a copy of the demo. The demo was basically everything Capcom had built after scrapping 1.5; there's even tons of unused 1.5 content still on the disc.

Personally, I'm pining for a remastered version of Resident Evil Zero - a forgotten classic which had an interesting character-switching system. Though a complete remastering of all of the classic RE games would be very cool.

Oh well, the re-REmake is pretty awesome to have. I know the game inside out, but I had fun taking a trip down memory lane and attempting a sub-3 hour, no-saves run on my first attempt. I was only foiled by that deceptively simple clock puzzle which I couldn't remember how to solve.

Hey, Im at the balcony with the dogs, got 15 bullets but I cant seem to kill them. Is there some trick to get them or do I suck balls?

TheEndOfUs said:

Hey, Im at the balcony with the dogs, got 15 bullets but I cant seem to kill them. Is there some trick to get them or do I suck balls?

Shoot at them until they die.

But in all seriousness, shoot at them from a moderate distance until they're downed, then run up to them and finish them off with your handgun or knife. Unless you're playing it on Hard, this should be sufficient.

Hehe allright, thanks. Think Im just gonna roll a new game on very easy lol. Cool game, first time playing a real resident title, wasted all my ammo at the very beginning

REmake is pretty unforgiving early on for ammo wastage. It starts being slightly more generous just before you get to the Residence, and then goes back to kicking you in the balls just after that.

BlueFeena said:

On another note, I was very surprised to see a PC version of the REmake pop up at all. Considering how Capcom lost the source code to the Outbreak games, I was amazed they still even have the source code for their older projects.

I was surprised by that as well. I first found out about this on my Xbox dashboard in an add, actually. But I will buy it for the PC instead.

DoomUK said:

Personally, I'm pining for a remastered version of Resident Evil Zero - a forgotten classic which had an interesting character-switching system.

There may be a possiblility.

The closest Capcom's come to REmaking all of the old Resident Evils were the two Chronicles games for the Wii and PS3. They're really more lightgun games with a Resident Evil skin that covers 0, 1, 2, 3, CV and some other things that needed tying up. I had fun with them, but they're not true remakes.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I bought it due to nostalgia. The voice-acting is re-recorded but remains atrocious. Chris' voice doesn't match his body at all. Jill is apparently autistic. The story is awful. The pre-rendered scenery would barely look good at 640x480. Still have to have an ink-ribbon in my inventory to save the game, which necessitates taking it out of my inventory when I load a game. The camera angle changes too frequently to get used to the controls. Capcom didn't even bother utilizing the hardware properly, for example, by using the PS4's DS4 light bar to indicate health status. It is clear that absolutely no effort went into this re-release and it was done exclusively to make the floundering, broke-ass Capcom more money.

I fucking love Resident Evil HD.

I'm a big fan of classic Resident Evil and REmake, so I got it again. The backgrounds look better than I expected and it was interesting trying the new control scheme. I was very pleased to discover that they added a reload button, and also somewhat disappointed that they didn't use the DualShock4's light bar to indicate health status. It's going to be fun beating all of those old challenges and unlocking stuff again.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Coopersville said:

also somewhat disappointed that they didn't use the DualShock4's light bar to indicate health status

Damn, son. That would be so fucking handy. Guess I'll add it to my complaint list.

It's a shame that they didn't bother with the wii u I suppose the reason is that they wouldn't have generated enough profit(?) to even consider it. I am, however, swung by the idea of breaking my bank to upgrade my ancient desktop just to play it (still unlikely to happen). Already there's been rumours of the second getting a remake and I hope that is true (the best in the series, in my opinion) if it is, hopefully Nemisis will follow.

Why not re-release the original Windows 95 game? Will it kill them or something? TBH I think this is great, but I don't understand why the original Win95 game isn't re-released in HD yet (or available as unlockable). Would be great along with exclusive director's cut content, and documentary game making behind the scenes videos; better yet all three first ones like this.