Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Civ

Strafe: A Bleeding Edge Game Set For 1996 Release Date

I present to you, Strafe. An oldschool First Person Shooter with "bleeding edge" technology.

Here's the official website: http://www.strafe1996.com/news.html

This looks promising, very promising. It looks like someone is finally getting the oldschool formula right. Fast speeds, ridiculous gore,
and a commercial where the player's head explodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHbpdKiInn8

What's your opinion on this? In all honesty, I'm more excited for this than Doom 4, by a longshot.

Wow, with Final Doom coming out soon as well, this year looks like a very promising one indeed! I wonder how id is doing working on Doom 3? I hope it's good. Oh wait...

I guess it'll boil down to how well the game procedurally generates the levels. Some FPS are okay for that, like Ziggurat, others not so much. Also what your starting weapon is and how long you keep it before finding something else. A lot of roguelike FPSes stick you with something boring and/or wait quite a while before giving you an upgrade.

Mr. Freeze said:

A little tryhard, but it looks pretty good. Might donate.

To everyone talking about it being too silly or tryhard, the
creator has stated that only the commercial and website are going for the humerous aesthetic, And that with levels of seriousness, the game will be far closer to Doom or Quake, not Duke Nukem, with most humor contained in small pockets of cleverly crafted secrets.

That commercial is the best fucking thing I've seen in years.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I wanna play it.

Also, that website and commercial are golden..

Da Werecat said:

Too exaggerated

Mr. Freeze said:

tryhard

My impression as well.

The Civ said:

To everyone talking about it being too silly or tryhard, the
creator has stated that only the commercial and website are going for the humerous aesthetic

Well yeah maybe it's humerus.

But that's a commercial that's not selling the game to me because it makes the game look too tryhard. Which I guess makes it a bad commercial, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Memfis said:

Spaceship ICARUS??

Oh come on, it's not like it ever was a very original name for fictional ships that are doomed to crash and burn for plot purposes.

I thought it captured the 90s ad vibe pretty well, even if a bit exaggerated (which only makes it better). I'll keep an eye on this but it remains to be seen whether it has more to offer than a nice ad.

Oculus Rift?! Where's the support for the CyberMaxx?!

First I misread as Strife, and I thought that its old developers have resurfaced even with their old website. Years seem to be the same too. Second, I thought this was meant to be a parody of Strife, but looks to me more like Quake (at least those goblin-like sprites do; I did not watch the video yet). Third, I think the website design looks more like a fan's site, not like an old company one. Those had practically the same sidebar navigation style as now, just with less dynamism.

I remember playing Final Doom back in 1996 and having this feeling I couldn't quite put into words. I can now. It was "Yeah, this is definitely over..."

At that point Doom clones and even "official" Doom sequels were stale. For me, the novelty had worn off and the genre had gone a different route which probably is more interesting. Certainly was for me.

Furthermore, auto-generated levels sounds like a really bad idea. Maybe it's fun for a while. Personally I think the peak of shooters was reached somewhere around the Jedi-Knight/Half-Life time. The former with interesting layouts that encouraged exploration and varied progression. The latter with the very context heavy approach. Ideally the levels don't just support random shooting, but come together to create a sum larger than the elements.

Shaviro said:

I remember playing Final Doom back in 1996 and having this feeling I couldn't quite put into words. I can now. It was "Yeah, this is definitely over..."

At that point Doom clones and even "official" Doom sequels were stale. For me, the novelty had worn off and the genre had gone a different route which probably is more interesting. Certainly was for me.

It's strange to read something like that on a Doom forum.

Well, I've never been able to decide whether my favorite game is Doom2 or Tie-Fighter so it's not like I in any way dislike Doom today. I love it. With all the time I've spent on the original games and "now" doing stuff for Doom3, I have spent a pretty damn big chunk on my life in this game universe. It's awesome. It's just that at that point in time so many interesting things were going on, just like Doom was a new interesting thing back when it came out. Final Doom (and Episode 4) back then was more of the same and I don't really think I personally would have missed out on anything important had they never existed.

Woah,this is very rare .. like Sonic X-Treme will be Released after it's cancelation, The trailer made me thinking this game was released back to 1996,but when i saw the guy playing it i changed my Mind >_<
EDIT : What the hell,even it's website ?

I don't really trust a project that is so heavily leaning on nostalgia / shock value to get attention. You had a guy who literally makes commercials for a living make you a commercial, great I guess.

I guess it's true to the spirit of 90s video game magazine ads that were unrelated imagery with maybe a tiny screenshot in the corner, though.

That's a pretty big CRT screen for a 1996 computer in the "ad"....anything above 14" cost a small fortune, back then. Maybe they were the richest kids on the block or something.

So...essentially STRAFE would play like a Quake with much more colorful graphics and speed. If that shit actually existed in that form in 1996, it would be the motherfucking ass.

The game? Wait and see. Could be good. Could be bad. It does seem to have that false mid 90s feel - you know, it feels like it could be a 90s game at the most cursory of glances but then you start noticing inconsistency after inconsistency that tells you, actually, it's not really like a mid 90s game at all. That doesn't mean it's bad or that it won't be fun of course.

However, that advert in all its cheesy faux-90s OTT-ness was all that and a bag of chips.