Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

Koliko's Adventure - Abandoned, released as-is

Some of you may remember that I used to have a total conversion that targeted Boom-compatible engines wherein you played as a stoner cat trying to save his home island from invasion. Problem is, I had no idea what I was doing and bit off far more than I could chew. I figured I should probably just spit it out if anyone wanted to take a look at it.

Download it here. Run kadvdoom.wad as the IWAD (old Freedoom with palette conversion) or as the lowest priority PWAD.

As you can see, not much work was really done on it and was more of a "screenshot studio" than a real game to any extent. Feel free to use assets from it as long as you credit me (except where otherwise noted, should be a credits file in the WAD). In case that credits file missed anything, Jimmy refined some rough MIDIs I did and DeathEgg helped with some maps like E1M4 and E2M3.

It's not totally dead. I won't say too much about it, but I restarted the project from scratch as "Zed's Quest" (unrelated to Zed here) and the design has been heavily revamped. I intend to go commercial with it, and I'm considering using the Eternity engine (though I'd like to make some heavy modifications to some areas). I'm still in pre-production/planning and it's a long way off from getting anywhere serious at this point. Without going into detail, I'll say that I have one other collaborator and a potential business platform willing to assist in having it as a side project under their roof provided that I have a workable basis to build upon.

I'm not hyping it, nor is it even a for-sure thing to get produced ('tis quite ambitious), merely stating my current plans. I intend to work on no other projects (aside from one other obligation) as if I want this thing done it must have my full attention, and I do want it to come to life. As it progresses, I'll reveal more about the project and am open to other collaborators if interested.

Why do I see so many HOMs in the first map? Why does kadv.wad contain non-Doom-format sounds that are incompatible with PrBoom (make noises)? How do I properly load all the wads?

scifista42 said:

Why do I see so many HOMs in the first map?

It's sloppy and unfinished.

scifista42 said:

Why does kadv.wad contain non-Doom-format sounds that are incompatible with PrBoom (make noises)?

By the end of the project I was being lazy and used ZDoom to test with and it was just more convenient for me to use the sounds as I mixed them than to bother converting them to Doom format.

scifista42 said:

How do I properly load all the wads?

As the OP states, use kadvdoom.wad first. kadv.wad and kadvmaps.wad can be loaded in any order as long as it takes higher priority than kadvdoom.wad.

Forgot to mention, I was targeting Doom 1 (dumb idea, but so were many things I was doing before scrapping it).

Are you effectively releasing this under Freedoom style license? Like, if someone wants to use some of this to make Freedoom Chex Quest style game, that's not so serious compared to regular Freedoom...

Clonehunter said:

I guess we'll have to yiff elsewhere.

I know you're just kidding, but you wouldn't have gotten anything like anyway as 1. it's not my thing and 2. even if it was I wouldn't want to drive any potential audience members away.

Springy said:

Well, I was not expecting this. Good luck with the new one, though.

Well, I quietly cancelled it in mid 2012 so it wasn't a recent event. Thanks, though, I expect that it will turn out a much better game than if I had finished this version.

hex11 said:

Are you effectively releasing this under Freedoom style license?

As long as it's not used commercially and the author of any particular asset is credited (me in most cases except where otherwise noted) I'm fine with it.