Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xindage

Feedback for a Perfect C1M2

This map is try to replace c1m1(c1m2 now) here i tried to keep the map big, beatifull and easy to play.

Now i'm only waiting for final feedback about skill gameplay since the layout i'll not change anymore (maybe).

The map has some special tiggers to deathmatch to make the map more easy to play.

Final Screenshots:

Download Link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/6t17sq
Sorry for soo many updates in a single day this is a bug fix noticed by catoptromancy.

For who like of original c1m1 dont be scare of losing that map i already have a wip about that map i only dont finished because i'm lack of ideas, but you can find more information here:

About the original c1m1:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/freedoom/70817-well-i-need-help/

I dont like of removing already maps:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1307411

Protox said:

More that 1 patch to exit. - Let the player be free to go to anywhere he want.

You mean one path - yeah, it's a good idea, without a doubt.

Protox said:

More than 1 way to find secrets. - have more than 1 chance to find the same secret if you missed it before.

Depends - I'm unsure how do you imagine realization of such an idea, since you haven't included any secrets in your map to demonstrate it.

Protox said:

Big and Free for test movements command. - Nothing better than configure your controls when you begin to play, so why not have a space to walk free whitout fce instantly a monsters.

It wouldn't be exactly good if a map was oversized, but yours was alright. Really short and simple in structure. Monster placement will matter to make it an appealing one.

scifista42 said:

Depends - I'm unsure how do you imagine realization of such an idea, since you haven't included any secrets in your map to demonstrate it.

heh i planed 4 screts in this map you my have noticed some strnge wall and doors is this map they are secrets. wait i'llitle the min layout is not fully done too.

what i want whit this post is to get more knowledge about both pro and begginers player to do a good map for both.

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is a good start view, and your map definitely needs an improvement in that regard. Otherwise I find it okay, as I said. When placing monsters, make sure to efficiently place them to be potentially threatening (while keeping the challenge amount relatively low).

I love it. Some suggestions though:

1. I'd change the opening view, use something that uses angles, variable height levels, etc. as right now it's very boxy and uninteresting. The section afterwards is great, though.

2. Raise the platform that the armor is on a bit so it can be seen from the room to its left.

3. I think the level needs an outdoor area somewhere that you can see through a window and later access. However if you intend on making these two alcoves lead somewhere, other than that, don't. The play area is big enough as it is.

I like it, though I find it a bit too complex for an opener already. It's too easy to get lost in so many interconnected corridors. Also, it's not necessary to show *everything* the game has to offer on the first map, though I somehow feel your urge to do right this throughout the map.

As scifista42 already suggested, I'd also move the starting point into e less monotonic part of the map. And, even more important from my personal point of view, please try to avoid *any* frustrating moments that early on, e.g. parts of walls that look like doors or switches but actually aren't (c.f. Marnetmar's comment). Unfortunately, your map is full of them.

Apart from this, fine and thanks for your effort!

Thanks muchfor this i'll kepp your idea and made everything like door being a wall ;)

wow i missed magtar ideas too i'll use some too nd make the beggining area less "boxy"

I took the opportunity of a lengthy train ride to watch "Devs Play S01E05 - Doom" with John Romero on Youtube, which is highly recommend - especially as a source of inspiration for level designing. In the second part [1], when they discuss E1M1, Romero cites something that could be the Golden Rule of a First Map: Make it a right-handed horseshoe! So, you can see a part of the latter map right from the beginning and get a feeling of "I want to go THERE!".

Unfortunately, in the map you posted, I actually have no idea where to go at all. I am feeling lost and find the exit just by coincidence. I know that "make it a horseshoe" is a somewhat very generic criticism and I am sorry for that. :/

The current E1M1 and MAP01 of Freedoom implement this concept already pretty well, BTW.

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6HlBa88js

I dont understand much inglish on "talking" but i got a little of what you want to say but is impossible to do it in that map atm.. only if we use this map to replace other slot... maybe e1m9 thats a copy of doom one.

I feel like the current C1M1 map is a very strong map itself, one of the best of Freedoom. However, there are plenty of crappy maps that could be replaced.

Hmmm well lets put this map on c1m9 but i wnt some help to continue the map, because for a c1m9 they are too fast (dont beat cato record on c1m1 of 12 secs) but this map can exited in 20 seconds if someone like to expand it on future i'll be gadly.

Sorry for double post main thread updated whit new download link and new screenshot.

Main coop layout changed, and improved.

I like the map, but IMO it's already too big and complex for E1M1, it might be better for another slot. It's also rather dark, I'd personally prefer if every sector was lightened up by 16 at least, I wasn't keen on the dark halls in the middle of the map. It's possible to straferun out of a window on the east side and get stuck in a small garden.

scifista42 said:

I like the map, but IMO it's already too big and complex for E1M1, it might be better for another slot. It's also rather dark, I'd personally prefer if every sector was lightened up by 16 at least, I wasn't keen on the dark halls in the middle of the map. It's possible to straferun out of a window on the east side and get stuck in a small garden.

east side hmmm, i'll edit that area soon i have to edit the ouside there too loks so simple and strange.

Well the map is done now i only need your feedback about skill (dm too if us can) the map can be played anywhere you want: Vannila, boom, oda, zandro and etc.

everything is on main topic and now i'll work in the real c1m1 and try to finish it too.

Since that map of i do is hard for a initial map we can use it on e1m2 since is not hard for that slot and about the original c1m2 is a good candidate to replace c1m9 for now since that map has ever spectres.