Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

PSX Doom map57 trap

There is a trap on map57 ("The Marshes" - a secret level) of PSX Doom. One can find clusters of teleports (in groups of 4) scattered around the main area. One such cluster teleports you to a small stone building with quite a low wall, but high enough for the player not to be able to walk over it. There is a switch nearby which activates a crusher. I couldn't find a way to escape this small building and thus had to get killed by the crusher.

Is there a way to escape it or is that a single most retarded Doom trap ever? I hate a "trial and error" traps with no indication whatsoever that you're about to be severely punished. I mean - to the best of my knowledge once you enter this teleport you have to die and start over (or load a save state).

Afaik it's impossible to get out. Probably the stupidest thing in PSX Doom, especially since you don't actually get proper savegames

Eris Falling said:

Probably the stupidest thing in PSX Doom, especially since you don't actually get proper savegames

Yeah, I'm playing PSX Doom for the very first time now (a PC conversion) and I think this moment just took the first place in my personal ranking of "Doom bullshit".

Yes, it's stupid. There's not really anything to warn you beforehand (be it coloured lights, light type or flat used) so wandering over that particular teleport is a death sentence in disguise. But on a map as short and easy as The Marshes it's not the worst example of mapping bullshit out there.

BaronOfStuff said:

The Marshes it's not the worst example of mapping bullshit out there.

Which makes me wonder what you (and anyone else) would consider to be the worst "mapping bullshit" in an IWAD, PSX-DooM or otherwise. I have a hard time deciding, myself...

Now you mention it, Tricks and Traps on the PSX.
Because fuck that final death pit when you can only turn with those tiny arrow keys, and there is no saving.

EDIT: Although the lack of saves isn't the mapper's fault in this case, I absolutely hated that map, and it's probably the sole cause of why I despise death pits.
Wasn't Doom II keyboard only when it first came out? Still qualifies for bullshit I guess.

Olroda said:

Which makes me wonder what you (and anyone else) would consider to be the worst "mapping bullshit" in an IWAD, PSX-DooM or otherwise. I have a hard time deciding, myself...

My vote goes to the very end of Doom 64's Map16: Blood Keep. The exit room is a rectangular room where without warning the outer edges drop and leave you in a pit to die with no way out.

I died there the first time I played that level.

Curse words were spoken.

Eris Falling said:

Now you mention it, Tricks and Traps on the PSX.

This level made me so mad as a kid. I fucking hated it.