Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Northeast Blizzard of 2015

So, who else is holed in inside due to the tri-state area blizzard? NYC and Long Island are enacting a travel ban at 11 PM to non-essential vehicles (IE non-emergency, Police/Hospital/Firefighters/Snow plows, etc) to prevent the piles of abandoned cars on the roads that happened last year. The LIRR/Subways are also being shut down at that time as well.

I am also in the area where I am bordering or in the region where the snow will be the heaviest (24 to 36 inches).

Feel free to report the conditions and news stuff in here so we can keep this as a thread for the blizzard stuff.

Glaice said:

Feel free to report the conditions and news stuff in here so we can keep this as a thread for the blizzard stuff.

It's quite cold but clear, here, in Ontario, Canada. I've also heard it's cold but dry in Islamabad, Pakistan.

I'll post more updates as they occur.

I'll be watching out my window, but down where I am we are slated for just 1-3 inches. Might get lucky and get in to work late tomorrow morning. Other than that I have it really damn easy compared to NY and the further north states.

Here's the latest update from Carl Parker of TWC:

He compares various models, and then presents the forecast model he thinks is the best guess based on the other models:

So this model is the latest forecast, with everything to the right of the drawn line being of very high confidence (so Boston will get hammered, but NYC might not).

The Euro model, which the experts say is a very good model, but they aren't going with it solely.

This is the U.S. GFS model.

This is the High Resolution Model, which Parker said has a lower confidence than the others, but since it's so much different than the others it drags down the forecasted total for NYC.

Again, here is the latest forecast map, with confidence being less to the west (to the left) of the drawn line, and very high to the east of the drawn line.

You can see the track of the storm in the models. Basically, the farther west the storm tracks, the more snow NYC and New Jersey will get (so the Euro model has it tracking farther west than Parker thinks its actual track will be).

Here is a forecast map just released:

I predict 22" for Boston.

Here is Accuweather.com's latest snowfall total for the storm:

@8:46pm a moderate breeze (5-10mph) can be seen out my window. Not much in the way of snow yet, tho. Just a thin coating so far. It started snowing intermittently around 4pm.

Here in minnesota, 50 degrees above average temps, no snow anywhere, perfect golfing weather. I wore a tee shirt to work today, in fucking january. I love it. You can have all the snow, all of it.

And Akron Public Schools tends to remain open during bad weather. I hate the APS administration, so glad I graduated and don't have to put up with them anymore.

Yeah, Ohio got shafted as far as the snow situation goes. The roads were pretty bad this morning though, I slid through an intersection and almost got in a car crash on the way to school. Isn't this why we're supposed to have snow days in the first place?

Just got back from traipsing about in the snow around Harvard. Fair amount of peopler were out, mainly students. Snow was swirling a bit, decent rate of snowfall (about an inch an hour). There was about an inch when I left and 3 inches when I returned two hours later.

This doesn't make sense: they are saying 24" of snow total for boston and surrounding areas, but then they say 11" more of snow before storm's end. There's only 3 inches of snow on the ground. How does 3 + 11 = 24?

I don't mind snow; I just hope it doesn't knock out the power for a whole week like it did last year.

Avoozl said:

Well I was expecting Warcraft 4, so close.

I thought they would finish starcraft 2 and and sell it in a pack as a one full game for reasonable price, instead of being lazy and selling it in parts.

We have snowing too, here in czech, but it is far from blizzard. I guess it is because of winter on northern hemisphere. :p

I live in NH now, and the snowfall is fucking crazy. Glad I'm getting a few days off, travelling to work would be a nightmare.

I thought they would finish starcraft 2 and and sell it in a pack as a one full game for reasonable price, instead of being lazy and selling it in parts.

Would it make you feel better if they named Heart of the Swarm "Starcraft 3", the Protoss expansion "Starcraft 4", and didn't update WoL or HotS? There's enough content in each of the standalones to be worth a full price release, heck even if you exclude the multiplayer entirely there's more content than in most complete video games these days.

It seems like an oddly specific gripe and you only hear it in video games. Could you imagine if people complained Tolkien should just have stopped being lazy and released the whole saga in one book? George Lucas should have stopped being lazy and crammed the original trilogy in one movie instead of three. Every TV show should just run through its entire storyline in one season, or better yet in one episode.

Everywhere else people understand things are divvied up by some expected length that makes sense for the medium as well as the author in an effort/reward way, but with video games there's a large amount of people who have this strange idea one video game should be "the complete thing", no matter how arbitrary the definition for said completeness is, no matter if that game would last 200 hours while another game at a similar price point would be 4 hours.

It boggles the mind. I know it stems from SOME companies who aggressively lock content behind additional paywalls; even then, those complaints are overblown most of the time as said content is more often than not tangential stuff not critical to the main experience. Again, this is like bitching you don't get the Silmarillion when you buy The Lord of the Rings.

LEAVE STARCRAFT 2 ALONE!!!!! *sob*

Here's hoping that storm makes its way to Colorado. Last thing I want is another summer drought and a bad wild fire season.

Hmm you might be right, I think I agree, I will just buy the game right now and enjoy it. Dime owns it and he is still alive, it can not be that bad :)

OT: I went out on my bycycle, to get some fresh air and relax, and it was nice outside, then it started snowing and it was still nice. I do not really mind cold weather, it is exhilarating, perhaps it's because of my nord blood, but there's...

The worst is when tempratures often change between above 0°C and below 0°C, then there is lot of dirty wet mud on certain places and it kills fun from hiking and riding on bycycle.

Looks like another storm is coming Super Bowl Sunday into Monday morning. Hopefully, this means a 3 day weekend. I hope my bosses don't come into work today. I think they want to be there even less than I do.

Linkrulezall said:

Isn't this why we're supposed to have snow days in the first place?

Yes, but the state government removed them altogether.

Phml said:

Could you imagine if people complained Tolkien should just have stopped being lazy and released the whole saga in one book?

Not the best example, as Lord of the Rings was actually written as one book but was split into volumes at the behest of the publisher. Apparently it was more cost-efficient to mass produce that way, though I'm not sure how.

I was supposed to get about 8-12 inches of snow in Trenton NJ, but only got like 2-3 inches.

oh-em-gee
el-oh-el

17" is being forecast to fall on Boston Sunday night into Monday evening from another winter storm, according to the weather channel.

Are you telling us we may have a heap more snow than what already dropped? Mother Nature is like "Bitch, I'm not done giving you snow!"

Looks like my Monday class is most likely going to get cancelled because of the snow.... That means more time for Doom! I just hope the power doesn't go out.

I should probably be thankful this year. While I have been wanting to see some significant snow I have not been impacted in any significant way by any of these storms, including the newly projected one. My want of seeing snow and having days off is countered by remembering what having 40 inches on the ground is like for two weeks straight o.o