Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egregor

ROP 2015: Finished!

I've seen the occasional straggler make their way to that teleport, but not that many. It was fun randomly telefragging one. But after seeing that manyI think block monster line is in order.

Caleb13 said:

-E1M9: When I exited the map, I was transported to E1M7 instead of E1M5, so I effectively skipped 2 maps. Is that supposed to happen? Apart from that, I couldn't lower bars to the green key all the way down. I managed to lower them by about 2/3 of their height, but not more, no matter how quickly or slowly I completed the sequence. Is there some other trick to this? Eh, I used noclip cheat in the end.

I can address both of these.

-The level skipping is an interesting quirk pertaining to the episode format: you can put the exit to the secret level on any map in the main episode, but exiting the secret map always brings you to the map hardcoded into the engine. You can find a few wads for Doom 1 that use this, although in this particular case I don't think it was intentional. :P

-That one is actually a neat little puzzle I concocted: the buttons need to be pressed in the correct order before pressing the switch in order to make the bars lower all the way. Pay attention to your surroundings for clues.

As for the other things you noted in my maps, I'll upload a fix later today when I'm not strapped for time.

Egregor said:

at this point there is no custom TITLEPIC for Realm of Parthoris 2015

How about something kinda like this?

(I mean, this is just a lazy concept.)

Parthoris map from Heretic II. Font is Gargoyle Wing from the Realm667 Font Press, which is to say it's really a bitmapified "Tie Wing" from Boba Fonts. Frightening amount of laziness is all by me, however.

Obsidian said:

-That one is actually a neat little puzzle I concocted: the buttons need to be pressed in the correct order before pressing the switch in order to make the bars lower all the way. Pay attention to your surroundings for clues.

I did pay attention. I used sequence

Spoiler

that is displayed near lift sector 115. When viewing in the map, I run to upper left corner, then LR, then LL, then UR and then I pressed the switch. And the same sequence is apparently encoded into the hidden auxiliary sectors (195 etc.), too.

But it didn't work, the bars lowered only 2/3 of the way.

Had a crack at the title track, as promised: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7j71f43s25m44he/05%20Realm%20of%20Parthoris%20%28Title%29.mid?dl=0. It's not all that innovative - sorry about that! If you're not fond of it I can always back it up and try another; they don't take all that long to make. Also, will we be needing intermission music?

EDIT: Updated. Tinkered with the mixing and instrumentation a bit.

Cool, congrats on the release! A pity it didn't make it to the full 3-episodes, but can't be helped :/ Maybe next time.

Up to E1M3 on easy so far. Loving the themes, but my god is it difficult, I've died loads already. Is the difficulty of this WAD just that high or do I just suck at Heretic? (which wouldn't surprise me :P)
Anyway, despite this I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far.

For anyone who's interested, the higher quality MP3 of The Occultist (E1M5 theme) is now available for download. There's also a youtube link here, though that's been around for a few months now.

Thank you very much people for this new wad! Im at e1m7 and i like it a lot! :D
The new textures are really cool and the level design too!

The nice are pretty playable for everyone. :)

I havent found the secret level, but i will try to find it when i will re-play the wad in black plague...

Nice to see more single/coop wad for Heretic! :)

"I laughed, I cried. I give it a thumbs up!"
And with such a great soundtrack, I give it an additional thumbs up!

I don't know if it was said, but i noticed some problems, maybe you can fix but it's not a big problem !

Spoiler

The "hexen" switch on the left:

The switch who is cut at the end of the platform, i don't know how you can fix that...

Im at e2m1 (smite meister/ 1life per map), and it's a very nice wad, shorter than "Curse of D'sparil" but really fun and beautiful !

I was happy when i have seen e1m8 wasnt the last map, hehe....

Too bad, i havent found the secret map..but i will retry it !

Sorry for bumping this, but is there a way you can get to the secret at sector 520 on map E1M5 (Blistering Catacombs), or is this secret unreachable?

In the corner of the room next to that sector is a wall panel at ground level. Triggering that panel is supposed to reveal a switch which lowers the bookcase, allowing access to the secret. Unfortunately, the sector between the panel and the switch has its floor set too high, blocking access to the switch. The secret is unreachable. Use 'kitty'.

59 minutes ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

In the corner of the room next to that sector is a wall panel at ground level. Triggering that panel is supposed to reveal a switch which lowers the bookcase, allowing access to the secret. Unfortunately, the sector between the panel and the switch has its floor set too high, blocking access to the switch. The secret is unreachable. Use 'kitty'.

Yes, I found this hidden wall panel. While one of two panels that cover this switch do lower, I couldn't find a way to lower the second one making the switch unaccessible. Thanks for clearing up that this can't be done. Extra cheers for a quick reply!

This wad for zdoom? Otherwise, this mappack works very poorly in crispy-heretic. Most switch's are displayed incorrectly, e1m6 does not start tk due to the lack of textures, e1m8 does not start due to the fact that there are a lot (more than 8) firemace spot at the level. (Crispy heretic 5.12.0)

Oh hey, didn't realize I was following this thread, heh. I was studying in Auckland when this was happening, how the days go by~

4 hours ago, Kenon said:

This wad for zdoom? Otherwise, this mappack works very poorly in crispy-heretic. Most switch's are displayed incorrectly, e1m6 does not start tk due to the lack of textures, e1m8 does not start due to the fact that there are a lot (more than 8) firemace spot at the level. (Crispy heretic 5.12.0)

Hey @Kenon, these maps were tested with ZDoom and GZDoom. I can't vouch for other engines, so my recommendation would be to try them in these ones. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for showing interest in this project.