Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hardcore_gamer

You guys heard of Starmade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyxsW_2xmo

Have been playing it for about 19 hours so far according to steam. A pretty awesome game. It feels a bit like Minecraft in space but with an actual sense of purpose compared to minecraft where building things just for the sake of building was the only real goal (which is the reason I got bored of the game before too long).

I hear future updates will make the game even better with single player AI factions and more.

First impression (after watching half of the trailer): "Looks like Lego Star Wars without the Lego and with actually impressive lighting."

Second impression (after watching the whole trailer): This looks pretty good and promising! Seems like a good way to utilize procedurally generated environment: A multiplayer/singleplayer shooter with side focus on exploration and creativity (building things). I'm not into this kind of games anyway (space flight / strategy / inventory / trade based), I wouldn't trade them for Doom by any means and so I probably won't play this game. But either way, my feelings about it are positive, from what I've seen. Their website has multiple tutorial videos and an active forum: http://star-made.org

Oh and by the way, there's a credits screen at the end of the trailer, and one of the creator's nickname is TheImperialDonut, I wonder if there's any connection to TheMionicDonut here.

Tried the free alpha last year (or was it in 2013?). I don't care very much for space or spaceships so it bored me fast, but the batch construction tools and blueprint system were pretty fun to toy with.

You mention a sense of purpose, as in objectives, plot, endgame? Or do you mean in the sense that you build a spaceship you can then fly? Not a knock on the game, just curious. There was nothing but the occasional pirate ships when I played.

Phml said:

You mention a sense of purpose, as in objectives, plot, endgame? Or do you mean in the sense that you build a spaceship you can then fly? Not a knock on the game, just curious. There was nothing but the occasional pirate ships when I played.

I mean a sense of purpose as in that even though there is no official end game there are still actual logical reasons for wanting to go and do certain things. It's not like minecraft where after you have build your first shelter you could just stay there for the rest of the game and be fine. There is like an actual reason to do things. Want to be safe from pirates? build yourself a powerful space station of ship. Need the resources to build the station or ship? Go harvest asteroids or planets with resources (it's not the same in minecraft because there mobs can't destroy your home or get to you if you dig underground). You aren't doing things "just cus" like in minecraft. As as I already mentioned, future updates will add even more interesting things into the game, like AI npc's and faction

I remember playing the free version some time ago. Interest waned pretty fucking quick when realized I couldn't leave the vicinity of the space station thing you start near without a pack of space pirates instantly in pursuit. Pretty difficult to go explore with that happening.

hardcore_gamer said:

It's not like minecraft where after you have build your first shelter you could just stay there for the rest of the game and be fine.

Nobody does that though. There are plenty of quality mods and mod packs that can give you something neat to work toward like a giant, self-sustaining nuclear powered machine that can spit out any item you want. The fun and enjoyment of doing something like that isn't necessarily the end product but the process of getting there. You have to be self motivated in that regard.

There is like an actual reason to do things. Want to be safe from pirates? build yourself a powerful space station of ship. Need the resources to build the station or ship? Go harvest asteroids or planets with resources. You aren't doing things "just cus" like in minecraft.

That sounds exactly like minecraft though. Wanna do stuff? Go do stuff.

Tried the demo a while back, but sadly my crappy old gfx card doesn't seem to approve. Everything renders without textures, so the game is pretty much pitch black aside from the starry backdrop.

Avoozl said:

So what's the difference between Starbound and Starmade?

Starbound is like Terraria, Starmade is like Minecraft.