Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Wads with notably "clean" design?

I'm not sure if I can properly describe "clean", but what I mean is: Stylish, seemingly perfect and flawless, both varied and unified in a great way, and generally enjoyable.

To give an example, Ultimate Simplicity and Austerity 2 are known for that exact stylish-ness.

I'd be interested for example in a specially "clean" Doom E1-style mapset. Or anything. Just mention wads off the top of your head.

Not Jabba said:

Bauhaus?

I wouldn't call it a clean design at all. It's a great mapset anyway, just more incoherent and "dirty looking" than what I was asking for here. (when I say dirty looking, I mean not in a bad way)

I would consider BTSX E1 to have very clean and polished design, too. BTSX E2 fits the description only partially, because, while the maps are more than awesome, they're not always that coherent between different maps and sometimes not even inside a given single map.

Dutch Devil (Morbid Doomer, Dutch Doomer, etc?) is always very thorough about alignment, all textures and flats matching each other perfectly, etc. He spends a lot of time on his maps, polishing every little detail.

I guess I could list a bunch of famous wads but don't want to look lame by naming the obvious stuff lol. Recommendation threads are much more comfortable on sites where each person has a list of what they have already read\seen\played.

My "guess" is you are looking for stuff that could have been made by people like Tango and Skillsaw? And maybe to a certain degree Erik Alm.

I didnt really contribute much here, as I guess you are familiar with mentioned mappers.

Suspended in Dusk is the ultimate example of this IMO, for its clean and careful design and effective minimalist theming with two starkly-differentiated aesthetics. It also has some great special effects integrated seamlessly and nonchalantly into the levels, and textures treated as materials long before it was standard practice, both of which have helped it age remarkably well in relation to many of the other wads that were considered beautiful in the mid-2000s.

Yes, Suspended in Dusk is the epitome of clean, elegant design. It also has great secrets. I remember it very well though I haven't played it in years.

SiD is GoD.

Also check out Back to Basics for the same Espiness filtered through a classic lens. You'll like.

I'll suggest Way Too Many Dead Guys as a recent map set with clean architecture.

Phml said in another thread:
a clean design; but that's a loaded term, everyone is inclined to use it for their favorite wads.

Interesting point, I haven't realized it when posting this thread. I've considered the "clean-ness" to be defined as a visual style loyal to a certain design concept (simple, while strict one) and free of any distractive out-of-place details not matching this concept - but even that might be perceived subjectively.

Anyway, thanks for all suggestions so far.

hex11 said:

I just played babdm:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/deathmatch/a-c/babdm.zip
Very nice, not cluttered. Detail level reminds me a bit of njdoom.

I agree, it's rather clean and consistent in its simplicity, which is what I was looking for, so thanks. Terribly homage-y, terribly blocky, simplistic, but the word clean is in place, IMO. Good for some simple fun, nothing less and nothing more.

Gez said:

I'll suggest Way Too Many Dead Guys as a recent map set with clean architecture.

I can't find this map set anywhere. All I see is a preview set on reddit, and a Map 5 standalone release in the forums...

VGA said:

Is that only MAP05?

The very bottom link contains maps 1-4. The link above it contains map 5.

Yeah, I cleaned the WTMDG post up a bit. The downloads should be more prominent.

On the subject of the thread, I'd probably would rate 'BauHaus' for it's very distinct style. I've yet to play 'Swim With The Whales' but from what I've seen of it, it also adheres to a strong visual design.