Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AD_79

50 Monsters - on idgames!

50 Monsters is a vanilla-compatible megawad, composed of small maps with exactly 50 monsters each. This started off in September 2014 as nothing more than a simple mapping exercise, but grew into what it is now. Let's see how you all like this! Thanks to Breezeep for a few guest maps (03, 12, 21), Obsidian for Dehacked work, and others for various contributions.

These maps are designed primarily for pistol starts.

screenshots:

download

original post:

Spoiler

Back in September 2014 I started working on a vanilla mapset composed of small and simple maps, with exactly 50 monsters per map. I now have 10 maps finished, so let's see how you all like it.

Download

Screenshots:

Yes I like METAL2 :P

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Awesome 90s style mapset, I can happily retire now knowing that my dream wad is already made...

Don't I know MAP10 from somewhere? :P

Excellent looking little maps, I must say. The low monster count is pretty cool too, it's always nice to see a map use monsters sparingly and still be dangerous. Jolly good show.

Heh, yes, I was having issues making a good ending map and I decided "Screw it, I'm just gonna take my speedmap and change it a bit" :P

Very nice work, I had alot of fun with it.

Might I ask you how to thumbnail your screenshots? Your presentation is great.

JCB said:

Very nice work, I had alot of fun with it.

Might I ask you how to thumbnail your screenshots? Your presentation is great.

I used PRBoom+ to take those shots, using slow-motion to get things how I wanted them.

Obsidian said:

You gonna make an 11th map to round things off? I can help you out if you like.

Well, eventually it will be a 32 map wad, which I will be working on for quite a while.

AD_79 said:

I used PRBoom+ to take those shots, using slow-motion to get things how I wanted them.

He probably meant something else, how did you make the elegant screenshot quarteto. (Probably in a graphic editor.)

scifista42 said:

He probably meant something else, how did you make the elegant screenshot quarteto. (Probably in a graphic editor.)

Right as usual Scifista; I can easily create something like that in photoshop with my screenshots, but as far as I can tell when I post the links on here, they're just links!

I can't find any attachments or html code to make it happen!

Not trying to hijack your thread though, once again nice work, will keep following it.

Cool maps, this was a lot of fun to play. I hope you'll raise the difficulty a bit more in E2/E3 in case you'll decide to continue this mapset, i'm looking forward to it.
Beside map04 where i struggled a bit, ammo distribution seems to be on the spot, maybe a bit more wouldn't hurt in case you miss one of the secret berserks, nontheless pretty good job there.
Got stuck in map08 RK door is kinda broken as you can see in the demo, hence i needed to quit and record the other 2 maps separetly.

FDA'S played all maps from pistol start.

Here are my FDAs for MAP01-05. I have to say, great vanilla-style mapset. You have a keen eye for creating minimalistic, while beautiful visuals, and clever, efficient monster placement. This 50 monster limitation only affected the maps in a good way - I dislike slaughters, and I appreciate clever usage of monsters. I've enjoyed playing these maps a lot.

MAP01 - Good mild starter, while it actually killed me once! I liked how the layout loops into itself (cliche?). Very switch heavy, but I didn't mind it at all.

MAP02 - Curved water canal is definitely a MAP02 cliche, but alright. Guess how many attempts did it take me to grab the red key prematurely? Anyway, very nice again.

MAP03 - As good as the previous maps, not much to say here. However, it seems like a good intro to damaging floors.

MAP04 - Ouch, now this damaging floor usage was zealous! In addition, the map's only secret area became inaccessible at one point. I've seen bugged stimpacks leaping up when the blue key platform started to descend. Other than that, well done map.

MAP05 - Didn't finish because of repeated mistakes (but I've tried at least 5 times), but it wasn't that difficult, it's just me. I liked the map's difficulty and particular fights where I've found myself enclosed by monsters, but still with enough space and possibilities how to survive. Later on, I've recognized the map's sinking area as a map I've already seen in Doom Editing. :) Good one again.

I'll surely play the rest later.

EDIT: @JCB: Use [img] tags. Quote his post to see how he did it.

Having playtested an earlier version of this, I like what I see so far from this project. I have high expectations of the final release from AD, and can't wait to stream it sometime!

I like the concept of limited monsters and I love the old school style of the maps. AD_79 is a young mapper that continues to improve with every release.. I suggest you keep your eyes on this guy.

tourniquet said:

Got stuck in map08 RK door is kinda broken as you can see in the demo, hence i needed to quit and record the other 2 maps separetly.

Hmm, I've never had this issue. I'll release an update that changes a couple things in MAP08, to see if I can fix that.

EDIT: Link updated, see if that helps.

FDAs for maps MAP06-10. I'm continuing to enjoy this wad. I forgot to say this before, but I also admire your music choices, they always seem very well fitting every particular map.

MAP06 - I've considered this map to be the weakest one from them all (distinctly straightforward gameplay), but still good. The lower texture in Hell Knight's pit in front of the yellow key looked odd.

MAP07 - Nice layout. I haven't noticed whether the tags 666/667 were even used, nevertheless I liked how this map played. Near the end of my demo recording, there was a sound glitch and I couldn't hear anything but a single noise from that point on, I wonder how this will affect playback on your side (I'm using Portmidi).

MAP08 - Many flying health and armor bonuses. You know, this happens when you have instant moving floors anywhere in your map, strange behaviour indeed. Good map.

MAP09 - An okay one, too. I liked it. I blew my face with a rocket twice at the door in the yellow key room, almost 3 times. Anyway, this map provided a good challenge. I actually liked how ammo was relatively tight and that I had to rush forward a little to get some.

MAP10 - Not really an FDA, because I already knew the map from the last speedmapping session. It's a great one, doesn't feel subpar quality compared to the other maps at all, plays well. I gave up after my first fail.

Breezeep said:

You mind putting a list of the music used in your wad in the readme file?

Updated.

The first time I played just 2-3 maps and ran out of time. I just played the rest (with BD, not that it matters) and damn man you've got the DooM feeling down perfectly. Short and sweet little maps that feel like they've always existed. That's how I judge usually, lol.

Hi all, I've been making decent progress on this mapset, and I've decided on when I want to release the full thing (November 26 of this year is my goal). However, do any of you want an E2 release sometime before that date? Or, would you prefer to wait for the entire thing to be done? I've been working on E2 and E3 simultaneously, but I can drop E3 for a bit to get E2 done quicker.

Also, to not talk empty words, screenshots! You may or may not have seen some of this stuff before :P

Spoiler

E2:

Some of this stuff is pretty old and needs refining, haha.

E3:

This is shaping up pretty nicely, AD. I'd be in favor of nixing an E2 release if it means getting the whole thing out the door sooner. I typically wait til things are mostly done before giving them a whirl anyways.

In any case, I'm glad you've stuck with this project!

Really good maps and excellent music selection (from Memento Mori, etc). Enjoyed it from start to finish.