Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xit-vono

streaming?

I am curious if anyone knows how one would stream an official compet-n record attempt. I think it would be nice to interact with someone while I play, and it could be quite interesting to watch too.

Looper streamed while doing his Doom 2 UV Speed runs. I am a very active streamer as well, but I don't use dosbox or anything, so I can't help with that, but I can help with just getting a stream up and running.
First you should download either OBS or Xsplit. OBS is far superior in every aspect, and it is free, but sometimes it doesn't work if you don't have good hardware.
Next, you should make an account at twitch.tv, or hitbox.tv, but twitch is more popular, so you'll end it getting more viewers there most likely.
Then, in your account settings you need to look for a stream key, which you would input into OBS or Xsplit, then add the game feed to the program, mess with stream settings (I'd recommend 30fps/480p/1k~ k/bs as a starter, its what I use). I'm guessing that adding dosbox would probably work like adding any source port that I use, I'd recommend Window Capture, as opposed to Game Capture, since if you're constantly resetting it can screw up in Game Capture. Then disable Windows Aero (assuming you're on win7+ which might not be a given in this community :P), and it should be good to go. You can add more things to the stream, like a timer or text as well, but its not necessary I suppose.

If this was too complicated or whatever, I can make a video walkthrough as well.

Would it work if I am using another computer running win98? I would of course need a splitter and then something on my computer to plug it into. I have an Apple for my main computer, but I assume it's possible to stream with that.

xit-vono said:

Would it work if I am using another computer running win98? I would of course need a splitter and then something on my computer to plug it into. I have an Apple for my main computer, but I assume it's possible to stream with that.

You can get the video coming from another pc by using a capture card. I don't know if there is a more streamlined alternative. I think capture cards for non-hd signals are relatively cheap, but I haven't used them so I can't recommend anything. OBS has an os x version now, so that should work fine too as far as software goes.

Do you have any tips on how I can find the right video capture card, and what software I would need to go with it?

The only capture card I've used is the elgato game capture hd. It comes with its own software and is also apple compatible. It's probably a waste to buy something of that caliber for just a win95 signal though, and I don't know if getting the output through the card would be easy, so you would need to look into what cables/converters are involved there.

If no one on here has any advice, it might be worth asking over at the speeddemosarchive forum, since they have more experience capturing from older devices.