Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaviro

Your favorite DOOM III monster?!

Mine's the pinky, although it initially bothered me that they made it a cyborg.

It STILL bothers me that pinky is cybernetic. A monster from hell with metal legs? No. I just hope the other 'monsters' won't be carrying shotguns, grenade launchers etc.

GS-1719 said:

It STILL bothers me that pinky is cybernetic. A monster from hell with metal legs? No. I just hope the other 'monsters' won't be carrying shotguns, grenade launchers etc.

Ah, finally someone who agrees with me a bit.
I have accepted the new bull demon, but it's still kinda difficult for me to accept the new "lost soul".

The BULLPIG DEMON was also my favorite(CLASSIC)DooM demon, The way it flanks at you,when the attack you in packs, The wet,sloppy snorts,and grunts it makes always made my hair stand up,especially when I'm in areas shrowded in darkness. This is why I had a "FIT" when everybody was calling that new pinky the "PINKY". Even though the new version looks "OFF THA HOOK!" It'll never replace the original sprite version. I only wish id would build a remake of the original version and give it a much larger GAPEING mouth! Like how a small snake's mouth would gape when it's consuming a large egg......

Am I the only person to think the animation really sucked in some places? Like that monster walking through an big empty room with pillars, and the zombie guy at the beginning of the movie...

I found the walk animation for the "bird man" Hell Knight type demon quite neat, because with goat feet it would walk that way, don´t you think?

Fredrik said:

Am I the only person to think the animation really sucked in some places? Like that monster walking through an big empty room with pillars, and the zombie guy at the beginning of the movie...

why does it seem sucked to you? I don't see anything is wrong with that birdman/the white monster walking through the place with pillars? the way it walks, jumping over the columns/jumping and breaking through the window, those animations seem amazing to me

OK Well...

Zombie walking out of yellow haze: Looks silly. Why would anyone bend his arms and float-waggle like that.

Demon/Bathroom scene. Looks fairly realistic except for a couple of sudden and quick moves that clearly could be improved.

Pillar scene: That pendulum-style walking doesn't seem realistic to me.

Drooly: Excellent.

Birdman: Excellent.

Imp: Very nice.

Meh =P

Fredrik said:

My thoughts exactly, it looks like some old-fashioned go-motion technigue is used here.
But I'm confident that the animation will be better in the end - this is an old scene from the Macworld video and the animation might as well be rather improved by now as is evident by drooly and other things which look great.

Realistic animation when dealing with computer graphics seems to be extremely rare. And that's odd - consider that many old-fashioned cartoon movies look very good animation wise - and that animating on a computer with advanced tools ought to be way easier than doing it frame by frame by pencil.

I mean, the animation we've seen in DOOM 3 so far does fairly well, it is definitely on par with that in movie CG. That Final Fantasy movie, for example, was in my opinion horrible. Only one piece of movie computer animation comes to my mind that is as good as perfect... the cave troll in LOTR.

Fredrik said:

OK Well...

Zombie walking out of yellow haze: Looks silly. Why would anyone bend his arms and float-waggle like that.

Demon/Bathroom scene. Looks fairly realistic except for a couple of sudden and quick moves that clearly could be improved.

Drooly: Excellent.

Birdman: Excellent.

Imp: Very nice

zombies: it might be haze, or a reflection of the light screen, bending their arms and waggling like that is what classic zombies do usually, and yes, could use a litte improvement in this'

demon in bathroom: from the shot i saw - excellent, not sure in the video, so take your word

pillar scene: it is okay to me, classic movements

drooly: uh, the 1-eyed demon? the shot - great details

birdman: w3rd, my most fav by far

imp: o,o [sarcasm]yeah, right[/sarcasm] i don't think the fireball in the shot was blasted by the imp, it seems more like someone else shot at it

Fredrik said:

Yeah the fireball really sucked but that's a different story.

right, however, overall i feel disappointing in the new imp image

Fredrik said:

Realistic animation when dealing with computer graphics seems to be extremely rare. And that's odd - consider that many old-fashioned cartoon movies look very good animation wise - and that animating on a computer with advanced tools ought to be way easier than doing it frame by frame by pencil.

I mean, the animation we've seen in DOOM 3 so far does fairly well, it is definitely on par with that in movie CG. That Final Fantasy movie, for example, was in my opinion horrible. Only one piece of movie computer animation comes to my mind that is as good as perfect... the cave troll in LOTR.

yeah, during the demonstration of GeF3 at macworld, they have shown what the engine is capable of and this engine can make these realistic animations they have used to use in movies like bugs life or toy story 1/2

Fredrik said:

Yeah the fireball really sucked but that's a different story.

What are you talkin' about? The fireball attack rocks! The way it explodes on the floor, leaving a smoking area is just great.

has anyone confirmed or suggested which demon is re-made of or it's a brand new species, btw, excellent skinning work has been done there, looks sort of like a sea seal or something

so far only 4 remakes are certain. The pinky (the one you have in the pic above), the arachnotron, the imp, and the lost soul. I personally also think that black/white concept art demon is an archvile, but I'm the only one to believe so. There's also tons of different zombies.

And the rest are brand new in my opinion, or atleast have nothing in common with their previous versions.

There are guesses that the "bird" demon is a Hell Knight - personally, I think it looks too small to be a Hell Knight and it looks more like a beefed up "imp" or something.

dsm said:

There are guesses that the "bird" demon is a Hell Knight - personally, I think it looks too small to be a Hell Knight and it looks more like a beefed up "imp" or something.

Like I said before, if it is a hell knight it's one of those demons that really doesn't have anything to do with the original monster it's replacing.

I really don't like it's beak, looks like a dinosaur to me.

EDIT: no goat legs either.

I think the "bird" demon is one of the coolest looking critters - mainly because it doesn't look ugly as Hell in a negative fashion imho.

NarcoTerror said:

Like I said before, if it is a hell knight it's one of those demons that really doesn't have anything to do with the original monster it's replacing.

I really don't like it's beak, looks like a dinosaur to me.

Agreed. It most likely has nothing to do with the original demon if it were a Hell Knight. Also I personally think that creature belongs in the bird/dinosaur class

Fredrik said:

Guys.

I think the birdman is an "original" demon. Cool huh?

hehe, yes, new monsters are alweys a plus, as long as all the monsters from the original doom1 are there. Although some from doom2 aren't welcome in my opinion.

Since I've never actually played the original DOOMs, I have no clue what monsters there were in those...but from the screenies I've seen, I was reallly impressed with the look of that Giger-esque sort of robo-spider thingy...most cool.