Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RUSH

Should rocket jumping be in Doom 4?

Doom 4 has the great opportunity to introduce "new age" players to some of the more "old school" styles of gameplay that more recent games like Call of Duty are completely lacking. So I was thinking: should Quake-style rocket jumping be introduced into the Doom series for the fourth installment? If it's a refreshing angle for FPS games id want to take, I think this would be a huge step in the right direction.

Bouncing around walls like this while shooting at enemies would be a pretty cool way for players to show off skill in-game, it could become a part of Doom 4's identity much like "quick scoping" has become for Call of Duty. For those who don't know how this differs from double-jumping, see this:

Well, rocket jumping has always been more of an exploit rather than a feature. In fact, Romero didn't even know you could rocketjump in Quake until people found that out. I don't believe there's a place for dedicated rocket jumping in a single player game. And since DOOM4 already has double jump I don't think they'll implement that.

It is a cheesy feature, considering modern futuristic FPS bring super suits capable of increasing user's strenght alowing player to jump very high, dash with a temporary incease of speed, kick a heavy vehicle as it were a ball and fly through jet packs, temporary invisibility, temporary bullet immunity and so forth.

Crysis, Halo and now CoD Advanced Warfare exoskeletons are examples.

Even Halo 5, during the multiplayer beta, has copied the dash ability of CoD AW exoskeletons.

Not really i would like to see a realistic gameplay from DOOM 4, I Mean if Rocket jumping was in,players will be able to reach unexpected spots and break the game feel (Unfuckingbelievable) Rocket jumping in classic doom was not really useful since there was no mouselook and player was unable to look up/down ,i don't even remember i used it before (Except in some ZDoom mods),There will be No fun of it ..

I just don't see rocket jumping being in a modern shooter, with regenerating health(its going to be in it, even if its just partial regeneration) it would be so easy to abuse rocket jumping.

I wish Doom 4 had rocket jumping possible to do, and levels made with it in mind. NOT as an official intended strategy, it should simply be possible, and not break the maps in a way that they won't be able to complete / broken sequences etc. But as secrets or shortcuts... It would be sweet! Assuming that the level design will be (in principle) close to the early FPS games, with its variety, uniqueness and abstract crazi-ness. In reality, I don't have that high hopes. I just wish I was wrong about it.

Touchdown said:

Well, rocket jumping has always been more of an exploit rather than a feature. I don't believe there's a place for dedicated rocket jumping in a single player game.

Wrack tried it. There's a "blast guard" item that nullifies damage while rocket jumping. If Wrack's level design had been less generic and restrictive for the player, it'd be even more interesting than it was. It was interesting, anyway.

Touchdown said:

And since DOOM4 already has double jump

Wait, does it?

If the game is moddable,people may make a Rocket Jumping mod,i don't really think it's a good idea to have a Super skill that keeps players alive after shooting themselves ,and like i said before that's a kind of "bug" that developers didn't notice so i'm not sure if it'll be there..

Sure, but I'd like the explosion to do as much damage to the player as it does to anything else. Quake made rocket jumping practical not just thanks to 3D, but also because you received half damage from your rockets. That just dumbs down the risk and should really only be active in multiplayer. In single player, you should still be allowed rocket jumping, but at the expense of extreme self pain, just like in Doom, so that you can't do it too often.

It could be extremely useful as a makeshift triple jump or a way to high-tail it in a different direction if you ever find yourself flying through the air towards a lava pit or melee-centric enemy.

Am I the only one that thinks its absolutely retarded that some people think that abusing explosives and blast-resistant exoskeletons to give yourself a slight boost is stupid in a game where demons rip your arms off and hit you with them?

Jaxxoon R said:

Am I the only one that thinks its absolutely retarded that some people think that abusing explosives and blast-resistant exoskeletons to give yourself a slight boost is stupid in a game where demons rip your arms off and hit you with them?

Umm,Yeah ?
That's why humans are humans and demons are demons :o,, it is Fair since Humans have weapons and demons got only their hands ..

Jaxxoon R said:

I don't see why it's such a problem, just an extra trick you can do, right?

I'm not sure if it'll be included ,Since it was considered as a bug and wasn't possible till Mouse look came out, We'll just wait and see ..

Guest Unregistered account

How did I miss this thread?

Rocket jumping should DEFINITELY be in the new Doom. It's so damn fun!

Joe667 said:

Rocket jumping should DEFINITELY be in the new Doom. It's so damn fun!

At least SOMEONE agrees with me!

And remember, it doesn't mean the whole game needs to revolve around rocket jumping. Double jumping could put you high enough into the air that shooting a rocket at your feet gives you that little extra height to reach a secret spot with ammo and armor (or better yet, a secret level.) Or it could just be a way to propel yourself in certain directions faster during battle.

kristus said:

Rocket jumping should be in Doom4. So should strafe jumping and hopefully even crouch sliding.

Hmm..

I really don't think DOOM needs rocket jumping. They are going back to the roots of DOOM after all. And there's no need for jump strafing.
DOOM, as I remember, kind of didn't have rocket jumping. So, no need for that to go In there. Just good 'ol fast paced DOOM fun.
But this Is a sequel, or prequel I might add, since I heard It's gonna be a origin story. So things might be diferent. But who knows.

Original Doom didn't have jumping whatsoever.

And now you can double jump and parkour and wallrun and all that crazy shit apparently.

Jaxxoon R said:

Original Doom didn't have jumping whatsoever.

And now you can double jump and parkour and wallrun and all that crazy shit apparently.

Well, sometimes It doesn't hurt to try something new, I did leave out those. And I really don't mind, I suppose this IS a reboot after all.

As far as I know Quake was the first game by ID with intentional rocket jumping, it really wouldn't bother me if Doom 4 won't have any when I think about it.

Avoozl said:

As far as I know Quake was the first game by ID with intentional rocket jumping, it really wouldn't bother me if Doom 4 won't have any when I think about it.

Actually, now that I look back also. I really don't mind either, as I just got reminded of Quake a bit (haven't played It In a while).