Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Best way to play PSX Doom?

Ded10c said:

We can't legally distribute id's resources (maps, textures, and so on) because the PC Doom games are still being sold (this is why the Doom 1 PK3 above requires the Doom 2 iwad). Midway's versions are not still being sold, so using resources from there is another story.

That is a very confusing post Ded10c :p

Ded10c said:

We can't legally distribute id's resources (maps, textures, and so on) because the PC Doom games are still being sold (this is why the Doom 1 PK3 above requires the Doom 2 iwad). Midway's versions are not still being sold, so using resources from there is another story.

Copyright doesn't work like that. People online tend to be more willing to look the other way about copyright infringement of something isn't currently being sold, but it's not actually any different in a legal sense.

Don't understand why more games aren't open sourced. It's not like there's a bunch of different hardware architectures that compete with software. People can't have access to the resources unless they buy the game so why not? Also, most PC games already allow custom options like resolution change, higher color depth, etc; more options would make it better. It's not like I can buy a game like "Carmageddon" or "Resident Evil 1 for Win95" and play it on Windows 7 without trouble or difficulty. If it was open source the games would constantly be updated and stable on the latest OS, work on multiple OS's and architectures, less stressful for original developers, and more user friendly.

If I accidentally break my Doom install discs, I'd be willing to buy a new one for $5.00 even though it's a game from 1993. I know it's going to work on the latest OS because it's open source, and it only gets better with age (4k resolution, Occulus Rift, modders, etc). If Doom was still closed source, I'd have to wait for a sequel or something, I'd probably only buy it once, and ID software would get less money.

Holering and esselfortium said:
-snip-

I realised that when I wrote it, but at the time I was at a loss for a better wording. Thanks for clearing my mess up, gents.

Holering said:

Don't understand why more games aren't open sourced. It's not like there's a bunch of different hardware architectures that compete with software. People can't have access to the resources unless they buy the game so why not? Also, most PC games already allow custom options like resolution change, higher color depth, etc; more options would make it better. It's not like I can buy a game like "Carmageddon" or "Resident Evil 1 for Win95" and play it on Windows 7 without trouble or difficulty. If it was open source the games would constantly be updated and stable on the latest OS, work on multiple OS's and architectures, less stressful for original developers, and more user friendly.

Businesses are usually not interested in doing things that don't make them money. They would rather repackage a game themselves and sell them to you again on Steam, while dubbing it as HD or some nonsense to justify not releasing a patch for your 20 year old boxed copy.

I'd rather keep my original boxed copy and use that, instead of paying again for the same shit (no future support). If it was open source, I could buy it more than once because I know it would be well supported, it's more likely to work with the latest hardware and software OS's, and I don't have to spend extra effort keeping older hardware and OS's around just for that game (it may even work better than it used to with the older stuff).

Certainly wouldn't mind buying something like "Resident Evil for Windows 95" again if it had an opengl source port (GzRE ?). More so if Perkristian or someone released high resolution scans of 2D backgrounds, SFX and textures. Mods like "Resident Evil 1.5", 3D backgrounds, and other stuff would be cool.

You see what I mean?

esselfortium said:

Copyright doesn't work like that. People online tend to be more willing to look the other way about copyright infringement of something isn't currently being sold, but it's not actually any different in a legal sense.

Unless its Perdition's Gate or Hell to Pay.

Then there WILL be...hell to pay. B)

Perdition's Gate is great once you strip it down and pull out all the obviously non-Doom stuff... Hell to Pay, not so much. It's a shame it didn't make the deadline for Final Doom.

If id *wanted* to re-release the console versions of Doom, you COULD say I know a few people who would definitely help. :P

Personally I'd like to see a re-release of Doom 64, but that's unlikely... But hey, a man can dream, can't he?

Getting on topic though, playing the TC is the easiest (and looks a bit more accurate with capped framerate), but the real deal is the best way to go, especially on a nice CRT lit up in the night.