Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
scifista42

Duke Nukem 3D textures in the original palette?

I'm looking for a DN3D texture pack, preferably in a .wad form, but I really need the textures in the original DN3D's palette. The Duke Nukem 3D texture pack at Realm667.com has them already converted to the Doom palette, which I don't want. I wasn't able to extract them from DN3D's .grp file, even though I've succesfully opened it in SLADE3, I haven't found the textures. What can I do?

Even from .map lumps, or whatever subGRP-lumps where the textures are? (I have no idea where they are actually, as I said, I've already opened and examined the file in SLADE3)

Eris Falling said:

Aren't they in .ART format or something?

Checked, and you're right! Now how do I extract particular textures from those .ART archives?

One of these perhaps? I'll admit I never delved in to the GRP file when I was playing around with Duke editing, only map-making and editing the CON files, so I don't actually know if any of those are any good, but the descriptions suggest they're what you're after

Each of the .ART lumps is an archive of 256 graphic patches. What I want is to separate them from the archive, and directly place them into my wad as separate patches. If there's a way to avoid exporting them anywhere outside, or manually ripping a graphic sheet, I'd appreciate it.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

bastART is the one I use, and it's... passable.

I find it odd that the Duke community has a very advanced 3D/Hi-Res package, way in advance of any of the Doom ones and yet, at the same time, many of the tools for working on Duke are hopelessly out dated and nothing like as sophisticated as the ones available for Doom.

scifista42 said:

Each of the .ART lumps is an archive of 256 graphic patches. What I want is to separate them from the archive, and directly place them into my wad as separate patches. If there's a way to avoid exporting them anywhere outside, or manually ripping a graphic sheet, I'd appreciate it.

SLADE can right-click extract all graphics from a multi-image format like ART. So you can place the art file in the wad, then extract all, and you'll get all the pics in the wad.

Enjay said:

I find it odd that the Duke community has a very advanced 3D/Hi-Res package, way in advance of any of the Doom ones and yet, at the same time, many of the tools for working on Duke are hopelessly out dated and nothing like as sophisticated as the ones available for Doom.

I pretty much agree.

Gez said:

SLADE can right-click extract all graphics from a multi-image format like ART. So you can place the art file in the wad, then extract all, and you'll get all the pics in the wad.

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't block-select all .ART lumps and extract them all at once, but that's alright, they aren't that many to do one by one. What's much worse, the extracted patches all have the same name. I'll have to check one by one, delete sprites and graphics that I don't want, keep only the textures, and rename them individually. I can do it, but before I do so, hasn't somebody already done it? Isn't there any texture wad with Duke's textures either in truecolor PNG, or the original palette?

Enjay said:

While I could be off base, it seems easy to speculate why that would be; Duke Nukem 3D came with its own official tools, whereas Doomers got some format specs and had to build their own. So it doesn't seem surprising that Doom would have more of a tradition of making (and improving) custom tools.

It's also possible that the greater focus on textures and locations meant to mimic real world places in Duke created a greater drive for high-res packs than with a more stylized game like Doom.