Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Feyla

ReMooD 4 player split screen, sound issues!

Hi,

First of all, I can't get the music working for ReMooD, I've tried changing all of the sound options but nothing seems to work.

The 2nd issue is when playing 4 player split screen, it seems that only player 1 has sound effects, the other players don't hear any sound unless they are close enough to player 1.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Are the any other mods with 4 player split screen I can try?

Thanks. :)

Sadly, I dont think ReMood has been updated in a quite a long time. There are other bugs as well - The other 3 players will also aim wherever player 1 aims if freelook is turned on!

The best solution I've found is to use Doom Legacy, it's far more stable and is just overall a damn good source port. Unfortunately it only supports 2 player split screen, but if you have a second computer, you can get a LAN match happening with 4 players very easily.

I wrote up a tutorial here, but it's for the now outdated 1.42 version of Legacy. The process is very similar in newer builds though, the main difference being the launcher is now basically built in.

Hope this helps!

Jaxxoon R said:

I know 3DGE has rather competent local splitscreen.

I can't find a mod called 3DGE?

Doomkid said:

Sadly, I dont think ReMood has been updated in a quite a long time. There are other bugs as well - The other 3 players will also aim wherever player 1 aims if freelook is turned on!

The best solution I've found is to use Doom Legacy, it's far more stable and is just overall a damn good source port. Unfortunately it only supports 2 player split screen, but if you have a second computer, you can get a LAN match happening with 4 players very easily.

I wrote up a tutorial here, but it's for the now outdated 1.42 version of Legacy. The process is very similar in newer builds though, the main difference being the launcher is now basically built in.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, I will try that

ReMooD is derived from Doom Legacy 1.42.

DoomLegacy is currently version 1.45. Beware the SourceForge system as
it directs some people to version 1.42 and I have been unable to get them to fix that.

DoomLegacy has two player splitscreen. Many things about splitscreen have been fixed since 1.42, but the second player sound is still on my fix list. ReMooD inherited that problem from Doom Legacy. I have not checked to hear exactly what the problem is, or if it is still current.

DoomLegacy is developed on Linux. I only have Windows 98 for testing, there could be strange problems with the latest Windows 7/8. I get vague complaints but not real useful information on that. The new Launcher should help with the click-start nature of Windows. Look in the console for error messages, and in stderr file.
Linux users get the error messages on the command-line console, which Windows 7/8 lacks (so Windows users often do not know what is going wrong).

Am working on an update to all the network code. Caught some more Windows weirdness in the network code, which I may be fixing (or making worse, cannot tell just yet). I am fixing most of the incompatibility between 32bit and 64bit machines playing together.
The network code to connect to a server is being fixed and enhanced.
The new code will also make it easier for a Windows user to connect to a server.

The EDGE port got some strange spelling when they decided to be 3DGE.
Look for EDGE 1.35 (or possibly better).

EDGE is not 3DGE. EDGE is dead, and the final version does not have splitscreen.

3DGE is the successor to EDGE, and is developed by a completely different team.

That's only the sourceforge address you are pointing to, since it used a UNIX name scheme I could not start it with a numeral. I thought about originally using "hyper3DGE" but I liked the shorter name better. Same goes for the wadfile - needed something short or very similar.

I guess that Wikipedia article needs to be updated..

I have no doubt that name "3DGE" causes problems. But under Linux I use names like "23.diff" all the time. It must be some program limitation.

If it gets to be too much trouble, I would like to suggest "EDG3D".
That probably reads better too.
Then the binary would be "edg3d.1.36F", which has its own confusions.

As to the sound issue with ReMooD. My first guess would be that you are using Windows 7/8 and have the sound volume, music volume conflict, that occurs with those Windows versions. Other ports have resorted to using a separate executable playing the music (to get a second volume control).

Wesley, is there any chance in the future that Legacy will support 4 player splitscreen? I would love to see that implemented some day :)

Not likely right now. There are not enough keys on the keyboard for two players. Making it work for four would require joysticks, which are not the best controller with free look. DoomLegacy has more player controls than vanilla, and I am adding more, which looks to require about a third of the keyboard for one player. It is too much special purpose code with a small user base.

It would also mess up the network game messaging, where the second player code is already a hack of special 2 player message formats.
That cannot be fixed until the next network messaging version change.

Would first want to see how well four players works for those ports that have implemented it. Does it play well enough to make it worthwhile. What user demand is there.