Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skillsaw

Valiant.wad - now on /idgames!

Thanks Nevanos. I'd love to make another Valiant but the problem is always time. Instead of sequels I tend to want spend my time exploring something a little different with each project. I'm not going to rule it out but a Valiant 2 would be years away.

There are definitely ideas in Valiant I would like to flesh out more in the future, though.

Of course. I'd love to see a Valiant 2 as well, but there is absolutely no need to rush; I'd rather see something different once in a while anyway.

And yes, it is important to spend some time doing IRL stuff, especially with the holidays just around the corner. ;)

I love going to that spot on RZ2 just to watch that animated texture. It amusingly also fits with the map's MIDI track.

Also, RZ2 is probably my favorite map in the WAD... it's close with Candlecove. I love the ambient mood and design of that map. Once again, epic MIDI to go along with it.

skillsaw said:

Thanks Nevanos. I'd love to make another Valiant but the problem is always time. Instead of sequels I tend to want spend my time exploring something a little different with each project. I'm not going to rule it out but a Valiant 2 would be years away.

There are definitely ideas in Valiant I would like to flesh out more in the future, though.

Sup.

Funny how this came up as I never gave you my comments more than a year ago to let you know that this is one of my fav WADs of all time. Played it so many times it's nuts and I'm nearly done with what has to be my 20th playthrough of this thing. Can't wait for your upcoming works!

yeah it's amazing. great maps, custom enemies and a chaingun that kicks ass.

Absolute gorgeous megawad!

The reason I'm necroposting is however that I am getting some problems with prboom-plus 2.5.1.5 with -complevel 11:

- MAP07: The archvile "punishment" ambush does not work, I can kill the mancubus and nothing happens.

- MAP31: The lift-bridge from the last "block" to the exit is transformed into a (unsurpassable) wall. Had to idclip to exit the level.

- MAP17: becomes unplayable after the jump down the "pillars" from the elevated balcony after the yellow door.The path between the rocks suddenly transforms into a HOM, revenants seem to appear, and I could not see anymore where I was going.

Anybody else having that problem with that prboom version? Is this due to some change in 2.5.1.5 with respect to 2.5.1.4? I think if yes, then I should report the bug to the prboom project?

Edited by erzboesewicht

3 hours ago, erzboesewicht said:

Absolute gorgeous megawad!

The reason I'm necroposting is however that I am getting some problems with prboom-plus 2.5.1.5 with -complevel 11:

- MAP07: The archvile "punishment" ambush does not work, I can kill the mancubus and nothing happens.

- MAP31: The lift-bridge from the last "block" to the exit is transformed into a (unsurpassable) wall. Had to idclip to exit the level.

- MAP17: becomes unplayable after the jump down the "pillars" from the elevated balcony after the yellow door.The path between the rocks suddenly transforms into a HOM, revenants seem to appear, and I could not see anymore where I was going.

Anybody else having that problem with that prboom version? Is this due to some change in 2.5.1.5 with respect to 2.5.1.4? I think if yes, then I should report the bug to the prboom project?

Thanks erzboesewicht!

The MAP31 issue is definitely an issue with the map, I've been aware of it since just after the final release but since demos had already been recorded I opted not to fix it (the map can be completed, but there is a particular route that will mess up triggers and make it impossible to reach the exit ... it's been more than four years, so I don't remember the specifics beyond that).

I haven't heard the MAP07 or the MAP17 issues reported before, despite them being played and tested pretty extensively in 2.5.1.4 -cl 11.

On a quick test, MAP17 seems to work with the build of 2.5.1.5 on this page: http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/history.html (2.5.1.5 test r4526), at least, assuming this area is where you encountered the HOM:

image.png.42b412475df58d373909695383f80b6b.png

Archvile gimmick on 07 seems to work as well.

image.png.a633d00ccb25e5f4f2f020e90cf97447.png

Are you on a different build of prboom-plus? Any chance you could reproduce the bug?

Thank you for your fast answer! I was able to solve the problem. It's a bit embarassing: There was something wrong with my prboom configuration file. After I cleaned it and used a fresh one, both MAP07 and MAP17 worked as intended. I had before tried the SVN version you linked to, but without luck (same problems). So the error had to be at my side ... Sorry to waste your time and thank you for the great WAD!

6 hours ago, erzboesewicht said:

Thank you for your fast answer! I was able to solve the problem. It's a bit embarassing: There was something wrong with my prboom configuration file. After I cleaned it and used a fresh one, both MAP07 and MAP17 worked as intended. I had before tried the SVN version you linked to, but without luck (same problems). So the error had to be at my side ... Sorry to waste your time and thank you for the great WAD!

No need to apologize, thanks for reporting the issue... If a change in 2.5.1.5 had broken the wad, I would definitely want to know. But I'm glad it was something you were able to fix.

I hate to resurrect a dormant thread like this, but do you have a dehacked version of the super pistol and super chaingun by any chance? those weapons were really enjoyable to use and they improve gameplay balance imo

you need to release the soundtrack on every streaming service on the face of the earth. it's that good.