Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

[Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony] Achievement Ideas? (p13)

Huh. I seem to remember BoA having it's own settings menu. Perhaps it's configured in there. If not, wait for someone else to reply. :)

Dragonfly said:

To me it looks like your graphics card isn't handling the assets the way it should - can you confirm that your drivers are 100% up to date?

I can confirm the drivers are up to date, there was even an optional update but it didn't change anything.

Does it matter what GPU is being used? I'm running it on an AMD R9 290 and this is the only DOOM based mod I haven't been able to get working.

Do you have an integrated graphics chip? You have to make sure that your gpu card is used. Post the log from GZDoom.

I think you can open the console and give the command logfile log.txt to save the text in a file.

VGA said:

Do you have an integrated graphics chip? You have to make sure that your gpu card is used. Post the log from GZDoom.

I think you can open the console and give the command logfile log.txt to save the text in a file.

Integrated? Nah I have the card listed above, R9 290 4GB, ect. You think somehow the game won't use hardware rendering for some reason? I somewhat doubt this because the framerates are stable despite the glaring effects issues, if it was using software graphics it would definitely be noticeable FPS wise.

Also I tried making a logfile but when I checked it the log was empty. Everything seems to work fine except those light and grass textures as far as I can tell.

This was nothing short of amazing, very ambitious and professional work that really felt like "MoH meets RtCW and they together travel to mid-90s sprite shooters era", and it was really good at that. Not to mention that hearing Giacchino's MoH music somewhere else always puts a tear to my eye.
It's also fairly hard (on higher difficulties at least), needless to say that Doom tactis are mostly irrelevant, this game (I guess it's legit to call it this way) is definitely about different things and has different behavioral patterns in mind while also keeping everything fresh, as every mission offers different challenges and has its own ruleset.
The last mission was the only one I didn't care for, but that's frankly a personal preference since I dislike stuff like that in vast majority of cases.

Some bugreports/opinions/etc, I played the standalone version and never changed a thing aside from hud/display options and rebinding controls in-game:

Spoiler

- the description says it's 1944, yet the letter shown in the first cutscene is dated 1942;
- there's quite a number of instances where a message telling the player the door requires a key is misleading, e.g. you need a cyan key and the door says that you need a red skeleton key; such occurences can be disentangled by mere logic but nevertheless it's not a very good thing I suppose;
- it was sometimes hard to tell whether the fences were going to block bullets or let them through, I never managed to track any patterns; that was especially annoying when the enemy was able to shoot me and I was having a hard time retaliating since my bullets kept hitting the invisible wall;
- didn't take any screenshots for this paragraph, as well as for the next one, so I apologise for possible cryptic descriptions, hope they can still be deciphered: Paris - in the hotel restaurant (the one to the left from the main entrance, there was also a ubersoldat there), the food was on the floor under the tables;
- Paris - after the catacombs, the player jumps down into a dam control center or something like that; then he's to take a lift and go back to the streets level. Well, once you ride the lift up, then return to that section via the catacombs and open the lift shaft doors - you see pitch black, after pressing it the lift eventually comes down and its cabin appears kinda awkwardly like if it was a lower texture issue;
- Eisenmann: climbed the cliff on the right, jumped onto that boulder... and got stuck inside it, only managed to get out by noclipping through;
- merely a thought: I loved the idea of a hub between the missions, it's always relieving and relaxing, maybe something like protagonist's personal quarters that can be visited in the HQ and that may also have some interesting stuff inside (like collectibles or trophies, the stack might also become bigger with each mission beaten) would be a good idea.

Gez said:

If you are using one of the texture resize filters in GZDoom, turn them off and try again.

I'm using the version that comes with gzdoom and a blank ini. I haven't changed any options.

I was quite surprised how much I liked the gunplay, movement and even enemy balance. Really solid stuff there. I usually despise cratecrouch cornerpeek, but one can still play fast&loose like in Doom to a degree. Too bad this lovely pace gets ruined too often by the many minefields, sniper alleys and sniper minefield alleys. Those are invariably dull and/or annoying, heh.

Some bugs/issues:

Spoiler

The Paris mission is needlessly cryptic. I kept looking for the blue key and ignored the occult key, because I've long forgot about some silly ornament on a random wall by the start of the map. This needs to be telegraphed better, imo. Actually, I was so frustrated from scouring the map over and over that I found a critical bug - opening the side door of the bank building also opens the main blue-locked door and you can sprint inside to get stuck completely.

I also thought it was pretty strange to start the "cleanup" segment of the Paris mission with a random chance to get the sniper rifle from the first easily reachable sniper. This is a big gamechanger and some players will have a much easier time than others.

Also it's possible to find a blind spot behind the first machine gun in the city defence section of the mission, then just mow down everything from there. I destroyed the tank without ever seeing it, because I was crouched behind the gun, holding the left mouse button down for like 10 minutes straight.

It's possible to jump on one of the side cliffs at the beginning of the last map, then jump down past the fence and get stuck again.

The 20min limit for the mutant facility in the secret map is vicious. Next to impossible on the first playthrough, which is a big fuckoff to anyone using just one save as they'll have to replay the annoying sniper road as well.

I think the very first mission has two broken mirrors. One is completely black and the other only works from a small angle. Sorry, I don't have screenshots prepared.

Speaking of mirrors, there's a hilarious scene in the Rescue Captain Matt Damon mission. There's a Nazi guy staring into a mirror in a bathroom and he "spots" your reflection once you enter the room/sector. But your reflection is visible even when you're in the hallway and the Nazi is blind to this.

And speaking of... clean up the comments in your ACS code. There's a certain big spoiler regarding Matt Damon in there.

And now comes the bitchy nitpicky part...
Spoiler

The flag on the Eiffel tower is comical. You do know the tower is 300 meters tall, right? The flag is monstrous, gigantic, megahuge. And yet it 1) casually hangs on the antenna, 2) flaps in the wind wildly. A wind of such force would probably level the entire city, heh. I saw a video of a beta version of this map and it was called St. Quentin, so you obviously changed it to Paris to include the tower. I suggest making it not look silly.

Rick's Hotel Americain? Why go for such a subtle reference when anyone who'll recognize it will probably also know that Casablanca is actually located in Morocco? Also that map probably has more flushable toilets than the entirety of WW2 Tunis, heh.

Explosive dn3d fire extinguishers. Indestructible barrels of BENZIN. It's especially comical when they're right next to each other, like in the refuelling hut in the Normandy mission.

Speaking of Normandy, C-4 was designed in 1956. It's also utterly mindblowing that this is the only mission where we don't get equipped with the explosives, we have to find them. We search for Nazi caches of C-4. And where are they? On the shelf right next to the first flak cannon. The Nazis store American explosives from the future right next to the things we want to explode. Also it's a little suspect that the allies send their top behind-the-lines agent into the fury of the invasion... to take out some useless anti-aircraft cannons.

Why do the bags of money in the Nazi-occupied Paris bank have dollar signs on them? Did Hitler steal those from the Jews in his burglar mask and striped black&white shirt? Why are dollars used to buy stuff at the british intelligence HQ anyway?

The Indiana Jones theme park. Okay, I could stomach Egyptian and Mayan stuff in Tunis. Hell, I was fine with the sharks (although they're absurdly comical in the oasis pool). But cramming in the Grail as well is just tacky, blergh.

La Vie en Rose was written by Piaf in 1945 and wasn't ever performed live during the war. Dietrich started singing it even later.

...silly stuff like that cannot be called "bugs", but it clashes with your realistic Medal of Honor approach and kept putting me off. As I said, I like the basic concept and there's a lot of good gameplay moments, but the "vibe" comes off as tonedeaf. The serious realistic MoHAA stuff mixed with the less serious occult/agent RtCW stuff mixed with flat out joke-reality Duke3D dicking around. I both like and dislike it.

Fernito said:

The options at the bottom of the menu are "Strife popup screens".

Had the same issue. Unzipped the stand-alone version in a new folder and ran into this. I threw away the gzdoom.exe, -.pk3 and -.ini file and reinstalled the latest version. Configured gzdoom first, then ran with the BOA pk3 from the command prompt. Then the menu option "enh options" appeared below "options".

You can still throw grenades if you select them in your inventory (with the "[" or "]" keys, depending on your configuration) and press "use" to throw.

While we're discussing technical issues: there's also an issue with the sprint mechanic. I always run with, uh, "always run" on and that messes with the custom sprint bar. So I could never make it across those ditches in the training grounds; took me a while to figure out why. So either turn that off, or enable "sprint bar always full" (or something like that) somewhere in the custom menu.

Just finished the first mission. I'm really digging this game so far (you can't really call this a Doom mod anymore). I action feels good, and I like how there are several objects throughout the levels you can interact with (including magical healing water-coolers!). I wish more (G)ZDoom mods / games would emulate the sort of interaction that (I think) we all loved in games like Duke Nukem 3D. Also props for the tasteful use of models.

I do have a few small nitpicks though:

* For some reason, the sound in general (including music) is really loud. I'm not sure if this has to do with how it was ripped from its source-material or something, but it doesn't sound very pleasing (even with my speakers turned all the way down).
* The room where that first small boss-fight takes place in has some nazi-flag mid-textures that are one-sided. Barely noticeable unless you squeeze behind it like I did though.
* The dialogue at the start of the game and during the briefing is neatly contained within a green box, which looks nice. However, if you talk to any of the other NPCs throughout the base, their dialogue-text is not contained and can sometimes fill up half of the screen. I would personally stick to the green text-boxes for every NPC. I know that means you require more skipping through the dialogue, but I think it would look better.
* The opening credits, while looking pretty cool visually, felt a bit out of place at the start of the game like that, and moreover just drags on for way too long. To me, this belongs at the end of the game where it would feel less distracting to the player.

Overall I definitely think this is one of the better GZDoom games/mods to come out this year, if not the best.

Hello, I've been playing this as well, finished earlier today. I played on the "Herrenrasse" skill level (which I interpreted as being the Ultra-violence equivalent), and IIRC I found all of the secrets and completed all of the optional objectives, save for opening the supply chest in the very first mission, for which I could not for the life of me find the key (was I supposed to save the one from HQ, and then use the spare key picked up later for the secret chest in HQ itself?).

The overriding impression is that the game so far feels like a very authentic continuation and 'modernization' (if you'll pardon the expression) of Laz Rojas' work, reminiscent of the later/more developed chapters of WolfenDoom, ala Operation: Arctic Wolf, Operation: Eisenmann, or perhaps the better parts of Astrostein. The sense of adventure and gratuitous Nazi-threshing action that he sought is very much intact here; writ large WolfenDoom poses a much simpler brand of gameplay that more or less requires one to mentally disengage for a time from all of the mores that dominate the current generation of Doom PWADs, and while that's still true to a degree here, I was surprised that cover-based combat was as lively as it is, probably largely a result of the decision to treat enemy gun attacks as very fast projectiles rather than true hitscans. Thus, there's more room for tactical variety than it may seem, and the periodic attempts to create more open environments as a break from the corridor-shooting is most welcome as well. On the flipside, some of the old WolfenDoom bugbears are still very much in evidence as well, most notably the element of repetition in gameplay eliding from the use of 'modular' map-pieces which crop up persistently throughout the game. In the original WolfenDoom, it was dining halls; in BoA, it's those Gestapo dorm rooms, you surely know the ones I mean. Too much of this leaves the impression of padding (particularly in the Eisenmann level, where it constitutes sizable swaths of the gameplay), and has the effect of diminishing the sense of globetrotting variety that the mapset prides itself on.

A few bugs or functionality issues I noticed follow. Most things seem to work as intended, though the Eisenmann mission in particular seemed very rough or early-beta grade in many ways. I suppose I should note that I was playing the mod version of the game, using a g2.3-pre306 Git build of GZDoom, as advised on the BoA page.

* In the Normandy/pre- D-Day mission, there is a large/tall lift in some hills beyond the trenches that takes you down into the enemy bunker, ultimately spilling out by the flak tower before looping back into the start of the map, it's very possible to miss part of the objective and end up having to loop back around again. If this happens, and the tall lift is left down, the player has no choice but to suffer significant fall damage dropping down again. A switch that re-actuates the lift up top seems in order (there is such a switch that allows you to call the lift from the bottom, incidentally).

* Clipping/collision-detection issues are grossly apparent just about everywhere prop trees feature prominently, ala the earlier parts of the Normandy mission, the outdoor parts of the Eisenmann mission, the final segment of the French prison mission, etc. The actors are invariably wider than the actual sprites (or rather, wider than the visually open/unobstructed space beneath the boughs), and so block all kinds of shots that they look like they shouldn't, and render grenades effectively unusable. Given the nature of the engine there may or may not be some technical redress for this, but if so, I would suggest reducing the number of tree objects in the tighter/more winding outdoor passages. Their scene-building effect is not worth the sacrifice in gamefeel they entail, IMO.

* Early in the first lab in the Eisenmann mission, there is an area where you have to dive into a toxic purple pool full of sharks in order to acquire a key. There are 'scuba gear' items nearby, which I interpreted as being analogous to Doom's radsuits (the visual effect upon pickup seems to confirm this), but in practice these had no effect--I had to soak damage in order to swim down and get the key, which seemed like a bug. This particular place seemed rather buggy in general, come to think of it--in this same area, I also experienced Nazis relentlessly trying to shoot me through the impenetrable glass of the submerged corridor (i.e. with the purple pools on either side), and on two occasions I experienced the game crashing out immediately after killing sharks in rapid succession, which seemed to have something to do with all of the gibs they produce flying around.

* Also in Operation Eisenmann, there are a number of places where projectile-firing mutants will be stationed on an elevated walkway with a bounding wall above the player. The mutants as actors are just tall enough that they can fire over the wall down at the player, but the engine's autoaim will direct the player's shots into the wall if they attempt to return fire from below. Disabling autoaim and using manual targeting instead is a limited redress, allowing you to fire shots seemingly over the mutants' heads that will actually hit them. Could definitely use some retooling, perhaps as simple as replacing the bounding walls with shoot-through guardrails instead.

* I feel that displaying some sort of visual timer onscreen in order to track Eisenmann's 20-minute time-limit is very much in order, particularly considering that a similar (albeit much shorter) timer is displayed elsewhere in the game. 20 minutes is a span that's difficult to simply 'feel out', and since the level design here includes a considerable amount of content that appears to be chiefly intended to sap time I reckon this concession is only fair. Similarly, an autosave point just as the timer begins may be in order as well, to preclude a player having to restart the mission from the beginning (with its early sniper-based segment being decidedly slow-paced) if they find themselves in an unwinnable position during the later timed segment.

* Following on from Dew's comments about defending the captured piece of artillery at the end of the Paris mission, I reckon this segment probably needs retuning as well. Camping out in an enemy targeting blind spot and holding down the fire button is, as far as I was able to tell, really the only practical way of handling this part of the mission. The blind spot at the machinegun emplacement that Dew mentioned is probably the best position, but there's also the option of crouching down behind the crates on one side of the bridge and endlessly broadsiding Nazis as they shuffle by. Moving around from point to point over the battle proves largely untenable, again in large part because the railings on the bridge and the streets block bullets and projectiles, rendering bigger mass-kill weapons like the panzerschreck ineffective. Again, Nazis at the crest of the bridge will be able to hit the player while the player cannot retaliate. Some pathing issues ala the buggier maps of Stronghold also appear to be evidence, i.e. if you don't kill Nazis fast enough they will occasionally clump up and get stuck on the opposite side of the bridge or amidst the prop objects at the back of that area, messing with the flow of the encounter.

And now, a few other things, not bugs per se, that I felt would improve the game if adjusted:

* I feel like the scoped K98 rifle, which is rarely seen and intuitively intended for sniping segments, really ought to be strong enough for a guaranteed one-shot kill on all standard Nazi troops (i.e. versus the Wehrmacht snipers in the early outdoor parts of the Eisenmann mission). Scoped sniping is the sort of thing that is simply never going to feel anything but kludgy in any iteration of the idtech1 engine, but I understand the desire to try out these segments for cinematic purposes and such. Making the weapon strong enough to efficiently take down foes would help to shore these segments up considerably, as it is I found I often had to hit an enemy more than once with the rifle to kill them, and inchworming back and forth out of tree-cover (which, as mentioned above, often feels like it shouldn't really even BE cover) to pop multiple shots at them felt very meta-gamey in a bad way.

* I would definitely like to see more in the way of functional variety in the miniboss enemies. The William Riker lookalike who attacks outside the tomb in the second Tunis mission and the oft-seen Schabbs Jr. enemy each have their own unique attack (even if the former amounts to little more than an oversized imp from Doom), but the Ubersoldat, female Ubersoldat, and Elite Ubersoldat are all functionally interchangeable, the only really apparent difference being the amount of HP each possesses (none of the big Nazi cooks ever lived long enough to attack me at all, incidentally). Given the engine I reckon there's plenty of room to do more with differentiating these enemies' attack patterns and behavior, even if it's as simple as doing something like making the female Ubersoldat significantly faster and less tanky than her male counterparts or giving the Elite Ubersoldat an additional spreadshot attack or the like. This would do a good deal to enliven these encounters as mid-level climaxes, beyond simply being played just like all of the other incidental fights only requiring the expenditure of extra ammo. The large mutants with the toxic gas missiles and the Ubermutant at the end of Eisenmann are good examples of enemies that really mix up the gameplay in significant ways (though I understand the latter is more of a proper boss than a miniboss); more like that please!

* I found the shop system at HQ to be surprisingly irrelevant for most of the game, in stark contrast to the similar system from Stronghold, which was genuinely crucial to long-term success. I think I bought a leather jacket with the money from HQ's hidden chest before going on the first mission, and then a few HP-boosters much later when I found that the amount of treasure you can hold apparently caps out at $999. Other than that I hardly had cause to visit. My experience was that the genuinely useful stuff (most notably the backpack) was all massively overpriced in the early game, yet by the time you've amassed enough loot to able to afford the better items, the missions will be regularly doling them out to you up to carrying capacity anyway, particularly the armor-type items and things like grenades and consumable inventory items. Thus the only really relevant shop item seems to be the HP-boosters, and while I certainly wouldn't argue their usefulness, it seems rather undercooked that there's really only one thing in the shop worth buying. More/better variety of items--perhaps some unique items that can't be gotten in any other way?--and/or different price-scaling in the final game may be in order.

Criticisms aside, I've been around Doom long enough to remember the original WolfenDoom stuff with some nostalgic fondness, and for the most part I enjoyed my time with BoA as well. The different variety of environments here works well as a foil to combat that is, in honesty, largely interchangeable from mission to mission, and I look forward to seeing where the narrative goes. The sort of occult angle the story seems to be taking (versus the sci-fi angle of Astrostein or the like) is certainly up my alley, at any rate.....do I smell a lampshaded crossover?

Edit: Oh yeah, more Wolf3D/Blake Stone tunes in the jukebox, please! If I had to pick just one, it would probably be "Funky Colonel Bill." :)

Yeah, I just dumped all my money into HP boosts. I made it a point to ignore the mine detector, because the NPCs were telling me to buy it and I thought it was pathetically short-lived in the training section. I can see extra grenade spam being useful, but buying armor felt pointless, because there's loads of them in the missions.

Demon of the Well said:

I found all of the secrets and completed all of the optional objectives, save for opening the supply chest in the very first mission, for which I could not for the life of me find the key

There is a switch on the side of the desk in the officer's room of the yellow key building. Activating it opens a safe hidden behind a portrait that contains the key.

I just started operation Eisenmann, and have to say BoA is great, great fun, and very, very immersive. Exquisite all around.

A minor thing I found odd was hearing at HQ that they need the ammo to hold their position, but it turns out they are in the UK, which AFAIK didn't face any homeland threat. I understand this isn't a documentary but that deviated perhaps a tad too much from historical veracity.

A little detail to fix: at HQ, right before Eisenmann, General Miller's aide had placeholder dialogue.

By the way, I'm just fascinated by Miller. With WW2 and stuff, he seems rather paranoid:
"Odd not to hear a thing, I wonder if everything's okay."
"Seems awfully quiet in here, did something perhaps go wrong?"
Those lines are forever stuck in my head now. (I take it he's anxious for me to arrive?)

Oh, and I missed hearing people refer to Blazkowicz as BJ.

That's about it. Keep it up, looking forward to the rest, my friends.

Demon of the Well said:

A few bugs or functionality issues I noticed follow.

First of all thanks kindly for your detailed reply! This is the kind of stuff that helps us improving the whole mod. I took the last two weeks to take a closer look at the things you mentioned and implemented or changed most of the things as all of it seems to be reasonable and improving the mod,

One question concering the shop system: We have some hard times finding items that make sense to be buyable in the shop, especially when it comes to gameplay improvements.

Do you think generic stuff like "double speed weapons" or "double damage", or even "reinforcement soldiers" make sense? Or what ideas do you have?

mattjoes said:

A minor thing I found odd was hearing at HQ that they need the ammo to hold their position, but it turns out they are in the UK, which AFAIK didn't face any homeland threat. I understand this isn't a documentary but that deviated perhaps a tad too much from historical veracity.

Good to see I am not the only one confused by the dialogue.

At first, I thought HQ was supposed to be located in France, but that could not have worked either since Staff of Kings is supposed to be taking place in 1942.

Tormentor667 said:

One question concering the shop system: We have some hard times finding items that make sense to be buyable in the shop, especially when it comes to gameplay improvements.

Do you think generic stuff like "double speed weapons" or "double damage", or even "reinforcement soldiers" make sense? Or what ideas do you have?

Double speed/damage as very short (and fairly pricey) buffs make perfect sense, imo. Dunno what it'd do to balancing, maybe +50% would be enough? Reinforcement soldiers are cringy, imo.

Not only they move around awkwardly and trip enemies you may not want tripped yet, they also make very little sense when you're deep inside the enemy territory doing a sneaky mission in the secret lab of a secret castle.

Another idea could be a permanent damage boost to a single weapon/weapons in one slot. A smallish value like +5% for a hefty price (500 or more?), perhaps limiting the number of times it can be bought, too.

A permanent weapon with a slight permanent damage boost could "personalize" a playthrough. Although the sniper rifle would turn the beginning of the dam mission quite trivial, unless it comes with just a few shots.

17879797_10209064227543403_4797108979575
Escape one of the most terrific Gestapo prisons of the Reich at the beginning of Chapter 2, just where you left off. With this escape, new game mechaniques are introduced - stay out of the light! #boachapter2

The adventure continues - Chapter 2 release date announced
c2news.jpg
After another half-year since the release of the first chapter of WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony Chapter 1: The Staff of Kings, we are proud to announce the date you have all been waiting for.

WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony Chapter 2: Shadows of the Reich will be released on May 20th, which also marks the 17th anniversary of Realm667.

And with this announcement, there will also be a few improvements that come with Shadows of the Reich, including a near-complete overhaul of The Staff of Kings (replaying that is a "must"), new models, new and reworked textures, and improved game mechanics. Shadows of the Reich continues from the point The Staff of Kings left off, with you in a Gestapo prison in eastern Europe. You will encounter new enemies, new weapons and new locations through 8 different missions -- even 2 more as a reward if you are attentive enough.

There is one thing that is new in Shadows of the Reich that we are most proud of - something that has taken an unimaginable amount of effort, dedication and work: High-resolution sprites for all enemies and NPCs throughout the mod -- not only upscaled, but highly detailed artwork similar to the Wolfenstein 3D Mac version - something that hasn't been seen in a comparable project yet. Check out the new screenshots in our media page for a proof of concept, and stay tuned for more information soon.

More information, new screenshots and content can be found at the official webpage at http://boa.realm667.com

23 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

By "throughout the mod", do you include Staff of Kings as well?

Yes.

Operation: Eisenmann was only the beginning: Thor's Hammer is the source of all evil when it comes to the Reich's technical advantage. What has Hitler planned? And what will you expect on your adventure through Europe's secret battlefields? #boachapter2

18033966_10209125999447662_5034749795195

Infiltrate u-boat yards, stay in the shadows and find out where all the clues about Thor's Hammer lead you in the end. #boachapter2 #shadowsofthereich
17880668_1303360026406865_52115681437295

Escaping a Gestapo prison hasn't been more beautiful ever before: Blade of Agon Chapter 2 finally features high-resolution graphics for all the enemies and characters around - which doesn't it makec easier to get out of this place... #boachapter2 #x2 #shadowsofthereich

18076556_10209154251193938_5075546512191

What are the Nazis doing in South America? The most creative answer gets his own Easter Egg in the secret operation of Blade of Agony's Chapter 2 #boachapter2 #shadowsofthereich

18077125_10209168438348608_5862995530749