Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sincity2100

TNT Evilution Vs The Original Memento Mori

Have you played both to the end? I know I haven't and only have partial experience with both.

Yes,and I choose TNT Evilution,by miles.

Memento Mori had some good maps (15,23,24,29,30) but it had some ugly maps (16,20,25,27,28) it's like every good map in this game has to be followed up by Awful maps,I wish that the guys who played these map were tested perfectly before they released it.

and let me talk about City of the Unavenged oh god this map was extremely annoying as hell,it was a city Giant maze,with a lot of switches,and this map was stupid,I got frustrated a lot to the point of IDCLIPing the whole map,if map 29 was as bad as this map I would have lost my sanity after a series of bad maps in this game.

TNT Evilution on the other hand has it's best maps (9,14,31,29,27,13,15) and I have a lot of them,the only two bad maps are (21,22) and it's not even frustrating like those maps from MM ,it has a very good techbases,an amazing Pharaoh map,some good vanilla tricks and good ideas,though I thought that Map 30 from MM is better than the one from TNT,overall TNT left me satisfied with the game unlike MM which dragged me out and left me sour for the most part,despite it had it's good moments.

sincity2100 said:

and let me talk about City of the Unavenged oh god this map was extremely annoying as hell,it was a city Giant maze,with a lot of switches,and this map was stupid,I got frustrated a lot to the point of IDCLIPing the whole map,if map 29 was as bad as this map I would have lost my sanity after a series of bad maps in this game.

Hey now, I'll hear no shit-talking about the best map in Memento Mori, it's a big switch hunt, but its a really fun one IMO. You've got a lot of projectiles to dodge, you have some excellent cyberdemons (two are in really unusual spots but end up making the map more interesting). As for the talk about it being ugly, I'd say it looks good in its simplicity, which is something I do in my maps.

MAP29 is nowhere near as good, it just feels a little bland.

Now for the actual topic of the thread, I like both equally, they both have their share of good, bad, and goddamn excellent maps.

I think MM is way better than TNT, in all aspects. There are maybe 3 or 4 maps that I actually enjoyed in TNT while with MM, I enjoyed almost all of them. And City of the Unavenged is a great map, probably the best in the set.

MM mostly followed the "what Doom is all about" formula, while TNT instead tried to turn the game into something a little more atmospheric, artistic and at times realistic. What I'm saying here is that MM feels like an "expansion pack" while TNT is more like a new chapter in the series I think. So could MM replace TNT in Final Doom? I guess the answer depends on whether you look at Final Doom as an addon or as a sequel, if that makes any sense.

I played MAP01 of Memento Mori, underwhelming and "outdated". Started MAP02 got instanly raised on a elevator, had to check to make sure it wasn't a glitch. Turns out they actually designed it that way, wonky as hell.

I decided there are TONS of awesome wads I haven't played, I don't need this.

VGA said:

Started MAP02 got instanly raised on a elevator, had to check to make sure it wasn't a glitch. Turns out they actually designed it that way, wonky as hell

Do you not understand why they did that?

Memento Mori is an excellent wad, it's 90s as hell but that's not a bad thing.

No, I don't understand, sorry. Is it some coop thing?

EDIT: I don't have a problem with 90s wads, I recently played Doomsday of UAC and found it fucking brilliant.

a) They wanted the player to raise up quickly

b) This was the 90s and they wanted to show off cool little mapping tricks

VGA said:

I played MAP01 of Memento Mori, underwhelming and "outdated". Started MAP02 got instanly raised on a elevator, had to check to make sure it wasn't a glitch. Turns out they actually designed it that way, wonky as hell.

I decided there are TONS of awesome wads I haven't played, I don't need this.

did you seriously judge the quality of a 32-level goddamn megawad based on the first level and the beginning of the second one, and then going "nope that's it that's the whole experience don't need more of this."

No, it's just that the first impression was very bad, so I started 10sectors instead.

I remember when MM was brand new, and it was really amazing, high-quality stuff. I was seriously blown away. I still like it more than TNT, but not as much as Icarus.

AD_79 said:

Hey now, I'll hear no shit-talking about the best map in Memento Mori, it's a big switch hunt, but its a really fun one IMO. You've got a lot of projectiles to dodge, you have some excellent cyberdemons (two are in really unusual spots but end up making the map more interesting). As for the talk about it being ugly, I'd say it looks good in its simplicity, which is something I do in my maps.

MAP29 is nowhere near as good, it just feels a little bland.

Now for the actual topic of the thread, I like both equally, they both have their share of good, bad, and goddamn excellent maps.

The Major problem with this map is,it was following up map27 which it was also a maze,a sort of a Tech Base map,the map was overcomplicating and it dragged on and took a lot of time for me to finish,also there is a secret in this map that was executed horribly,map 28 was the same thing,but in a larger scale,and it frustrated me as hell,if you gonna have this map you should put it in a single wad instead of putting it in a Megawad,besides there were bad maps that I've lost count in MM,all before these two maps,which was the Icing on the cake,I felt that Map29 and Map30 were the saving grace for all the crap that I've been through.

I enjoyed map29 a lot,it's one of my favorite maps in the game

For me, Memento Mori is like the TNT Evilution that was going to be freeware, considering the fact that it has authors who worked on Evilution, specifically Tom Mustaine and the Casalis. It would have been awesome if it was part of Final Doom. Not only would we have a trilogy of megawads, but there would be like a difficulty buildup:

- TNT Evilution (easy)
- Memento Mori (moderate)
- The Plutonia Experiment (hard)

TNT and MM, huh? Interesting comparsion, but honestly the two are probably a tie. Considering that MM is free and TNT costs money, I'd have to say MM wins for that alone. If we're just talking gameplay though - Dead even, far as I'm concerned. Both a lot of fun and feature an interesting variety of maps. To top it all of, neither is ball-busting hard, exactly my speed.