Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

[Cacoward approved] InstaDoom: screw #nofilter - final WOTY edition released

The selfie weapon doesn't function in Zandronum, due to its dehacked-weapon related bugginess. I suppose that it would be possible to fix through a DECORATE patch for ZDoom-based ports only.

EDIT: I've also finally tried those 37 instagram palettes. Literally all of them made me feel sick upon first sight, with the exception of inkwell, which made me feel sick after a minute. I guess that this year's mockaward is confirmed.

Well, the views counter of the thread tells everything. One of the most WTF mods of all time, a historically significant release.

My only problem is that from the palette names, it's not obvious, how they look like, and they also don't seem to vary too much.

A landmark PWAD to keep the mock award alive. I can't ever see myself using this but it's nice it exists.

Hopefully, a few years from now, when we're having another 'why did you register here' thread there will be some worthwhile members stating this mod as a cause.

Cannot stop progress... started a few InstaDucks servers on ZDaemon based on the recommendations here. Selfie.wad included so now you can take photos with your favourite marines too (autographs not promised).

You'll need to get the InstaDoom wads manually though becuase of the little part of the readme that says one may not distribute it.

Enjay said:

Agreed. That mod was also done by a true genius, not the rip-off hack that made this instadoom nonsense.

Can we please get an in-depth scholarly study on the significance of self-shooting as a recurrent theme in Linguica's work?

Pure Hellspawn said:

You do know that wad was by the exact same person as the one who released this one, right?

Yup, that was a stoopid joke.

Getsu: You're not using a weapons mod with InstaDoom, are you?

I'd figure ZDaemon would have problems on a DECORATE version because it's crusty old ass version of ZDoom.

no I'm not using weapon mods and I've tested this in two different GZDoom versions (1.4.8 & 1.8.2) and it still looks like BFG blasts on the walls. same power as regular plasma shots though. I tested it on a cacodemon.

the firing animation seems smoother though.

Glaice said:

I'd figure ZDaemon would have problems on a DECORATE version because it's crusty old ass version of ZDoom.

No DECORATE support in ZDaemon.

Though I'm not aware of a DECORATE version of #Selfie Doom anyway.

Glaice said:

Getsu: You're not using a weapons mod with InstaDoom, are you?

Even with the current DEHACKED version of InstaDoom, ZDaemon actually displays the selfie stick sprite instead of chainsaw but you still pick up a chainsaw. The chainsaw sprite is displayed instead of BFG and you pick up a selfie stick; this probably isn't the intended behaviour either.

As for ZDaemon and DECORATE support, that is a bigger joke than this wad :)

EDIT: Gez was faster.

scifista42 said:

The selfie weapon doesn't function in Zandronum

Yes, I said as much in the text file.

xnv said:

What a ripoff! You could do a selfshot in this wad http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/do-it.zip and it was released more than ten years ago.

*rimshot*

Getsu Fune said:

strange glitch with the plasma gun shots looking like BFG shots on the wall.

The plasma gun shots *are* BFG shots, actually. It was necessary as part of the Dehackery.

I guess I never explicitly stated this but one of the points of the WAD was to be vanilla compatible. If the selfie stick doesn't work properly in a port, I sort of consider that a deficiency of the port, not a deficiency of the WAD.

Heh, I've actually had people, like, real-life people who don't go anywhere near Doom or Doomworld coming up to me and telling me about this mod.

Holy shit. I was looking at news.com.au, and guess what article was there... InstaDoom.

I've gotta ask, Ling - What posessed you to make such a mod? Did you do it thinking it might go viral, or was that just a happy coincedence?

Enjay said:

Heh, I've actually had people, like, real-life people who don't go anywhere near Doom or Doomworld coming up to me and telling me about this mod.

A colleague from work sent me a link to DW in an email this morning, that's how I learned about this. Ok, we make games at work, but far from the theme of Doom, and I think that his only real connection to Doom these days might come from me telling him I still play it. Funny indeed, it was quite a surprise.

Now I'm just waiting for one of the id guys to notice this, lol. Anyway, thanks for the fun, Linguica :)