Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

Windows 8 and drag and drop issue with GZDoom

Since before buying my latest PC only a few months ago I haven't touched GZDoom and any Doom game, however now I finally wanted to play Doom and catch up with a few wads I haven't yet finished but when I try to drag and drop a wad and my usual pk3 mod onto the GZDoom executable nothing happens, it just wont load.

I am completely stumped at what may be preventing it from loading after dragging and dropping onto the executable, I never had this issue with my previous PC which had Windows 7 on it.

Uh oh, poor guy getting stuck with Windows 8. At least you still might be eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10 when that comes out. That one actually looks kind of good, might be sort of the Windows 7 of the Vista that was 8.

No idea. I use Windows 8.1 and no problems with drag&drop.

The bad reputation of Windows 8 is vastly exaggerated - but if you only have 8.0 you really should consider upgrading to 8.1.

Try to Launch GZDoom exe with next command :
-file "...filedir/Filename.pk3"
Or if the files are inside GZDoom folder :
-file "Filename.pk3"
It should work,You can also save them in a Batch file so you can quickly load your Mods later with a double click ...

Graf Zahl said:

No idea. I use Windows 8.1 and no problems with drag&drop.

The bad reputation of Windows 8 is vastly exaggerated - but if you only have 8.0 you really should consider upgrading to 8.1.

Yeah I know about the bs with the reputation, however I can't really upgrade at this current time since I am stuck with limited net right now, I guess I'll just have to settle with shortcuts and batch files.

For the record, 8 doesn't have this issue either. This is exclusive to something you have done.

One thing your post isn't exactly clear on, however, is what exactly wont load. The wad file or GZDoom itself. If it's only the former, it'll be interesting to see what kind of input GZDoom is actually getting. A quick and dirty way of finding that out would be to do the drag'n'drop operation as per normal, running the "crashout" command in the console, and posting a link of the resulting ZIP file.

I found out what was causing it, it was the old mouse I was using which seems to be quite faulty, I only just got a new mouse and tried it again and it worked.

Thanks for the help though.