Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lippeth

[Map] Interrupted

I hope you're not sick of tech base maps. I made this partly to learn the UDMF, but mainly to try and make a cool map and share it. Nothing fancy, just Doom. I'm still tinkering to clean it up and better implement difficulty settings, and I may try to make a few more maps to make a little set with the same theme.

I did use a few textures and flats from Doom 1 for more of a tech vibe, and I have no idea where that sky is from. It's just been collecting dust on my hard drive so if anyone has a keen eye, maybe you can help me give a proper credit.

Interrupted
I called it that because things need names. It has nothing to do with anything.

Edit:I really liked this map, The ammo/hp was spread great. I really liked the monster progression, the fact that most of the time they seemed to progress with weapons.

Great map, make more :D

I will admit to one texture error with zandronum, BIGDOOR1 seems to have the black lines on it, Otherwise, no complaints.

Doom 1 techbases are my fetish... good map though one minor annoyance to me was how I couldn't get in reach of that chaingunner to punch him with the berserk when I thought I could since the sector seemed lowered enough for me to hop over :P

That was fun. I got a little lost after getting the blue key, but thankfully the automap bailed me out. And ammo was a little tight for my (wasteful) tastes, but no biggie. Here's an FDA I recorded in GZDoom 1.8.6, where I beat it in about 20 minutes. Wouldn't mind playing an episode of levels like this.

Wow, thanks Salt-Man Z! That demo was very fun to watch and gives me good insight, like where to fix minor issues and how a player might problem solve. You were so close to figuring out every secret and gave me ideas on how to implement better ones in future maps. I couldn't ask for a better play test, thanks again.

Haven't really played too far yet, but it seems competent enough. Only gripe is that you used the SNES version of "Level 5", with its horrifically off-key bass sample. (I generally assume the Sega CD/Win 95 version of the soundtrack was the authorial intent, see.)

Well, that and I'm not sure what that secret radsuit is really supposed to let me access, since by the time I find it, I'm through with the nukage section.

Ha, I knew someone was going to call me out for that, and rightfully so. Good call.

I wanted to refrain from using actual audio files and had no luck finding a MIDI version, so I was limited to choosing between vgm and spc files (Genesis and SNES formats) and even though I think the Genesis version still sounds better in every way, the SNES version fits better in the map, though using the Sega CD version as an ogg file is only 2 MB, so there wouldn't be too much harm in that. But the music would have to stay consistent if I add more maps which could end up making the entire file more bloated than it needs to be.

Another decent call on the radsuit placement. I thought that would be a good place for a quick secret but didn't know what to put. What would be a better fit? I could add a new secret area that is submerged in slime halfway across the whole map, requiring a radsuit to get there, just a quick afterthought.

Lippeth said:

Wow, thanks Salt-Man Z! That demo was very fun to watch and gives me good insight, like where to fix minor issues and how a player might problem solve. You were so close to figuring out every secret and gave me ideas on how to implement better ones in future maps. I couldn't ask for a better play test, thanks again.

Awesome, glad I could help! This was my first FDA, and only my second demo; I'm just happy it worked. :) I had just gotten into bed last night when I saw this thread, and thought it would be the perfect time to record my first FDA; half an hour later, and here we are.

RE that radsuit secret: I don't think the suit itself is really necessary, as there were enough floor tiles to move around safely. More problematically, the secret wall itself is best seen when coming back through that section (as you saw me do in my demo.) I think I ended up using it to grab a couple of shells and bonuses I missed previously, but that's it. Dunno what else you could hide in there, though; perhaps a chainsaw? (Assuming there wasn't already one that I missed.) Again, though, it's the placement that's the issue. Maybe if the secret area opened from one of the other sides...?

I know this is an old project, but I've added a second map and nearly overhauled the first one.

EDITED: to remove naggy feedback request.