Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cadman

Community Chest 5

This is Cadman, if you don't know me I was the guy that started the idea of the original Community Chest project all those years ago. I had some great help along the way and you the community kept it going, thanks to all involved! I saw an old thread that talked about the possibility of a CC5...the last post was back in 2013, so I was looking at some feedback, good or bad...your thoughts on the possibility of a CC5.

First off, I know there a many projects already going on out there...some will come to fruition and some will be vaporware projects. The original Community Chest I intentionally kept simple so we could finish it in a reasonable amount of time. I'm curious on your comments and to see if the interest is there for this. I don't know if Use3d, Green Herring or ALeaver is still around...let me know what you think, thanks everyone!

Well, hello there, TeamTNT! It's always possible to just start another CC if you feel like it, people will join over time. It will be a long and painful process (like, very long and very painful), no doubt, but I think it's worth it in the end (and I'm not alone I presume), there's hardly anything bad in having more quality megawads.

There are plans to make a CC5 happen, but TheGreenHerring and a lot of people who plan to make maps for CC5 aren't ready to start it yet. Folks around here tend to put way too much stuff on their plate at once.

The idea was tossed around a several months ago. I would be interested in a 'return to form' Community Chest, maybe back to limit removing or plain vanilla, which some feel is overdone lately but in my opinion the Boom-oriented Community Chests were becoming bogged-down with massive, overly complex maps that became a chore just to get through, like each iteration had to one-up the previous.
Though for no real valid reason I do feel possessive of the Community Chest series, I'd be a terrible leader. If someone from the original team were to take on the reigns once again I'd support it.

We cant start CC5 until after joe-ilya is unlosered. He needs a sporting chance.

Memfis said:

Well, we don't get that many massive complex maps. I'm OK with playing some more.

As long as they're able to provide some fun, each one as itself, I'm not against large maps either.

So, Boom compatibility or limit-removing compatibility? I would be up for it, either way of these 2. Even if the goal compatibility turned out to be ZDoom, I'd be up, although everything would be much easier with Boom or LR.

Speaking as a player, I think going to vanilla limits could be seen as a step down given what's been in previous instalments, and that's ignoring map size, since you can have huge vanilla compatible maps anyway. It would be nice to see the series stick to boom.

EDIT: Though of course it's all based on preference. In general I prefer Boom maps to both limit-removing and vanilla, so of course I'd like to see CC stay with Boom.

ClonedPickle said:

There are plans to make a CC5 happen, but TheGreenHerring and a lot of people who plan to make maps for CC5 aren't ready to start it yet. Folks around here tend to put way too much stuff on their plate at once.

This is correct. I intend to start CC5 and I will be its leader; no one else will be, especially as nobody else is the moderator of the Community Chest forum (which historically has been renamed for each iteration, noticeable if you search through the topics in it). However, I want to do so when the majority of people on this forum don't have e.g. school, work, and other projects (Doom-related or not) bogging them down. Plus, I intend to have the levels' size/difficulty progressions be much more reasonable, so that combined with the previous sentence, it doesn't take forever and a half to make CC5. For that matter, I didn't want to start CC5 too early, when CC4 was still recent. Rest assured, a texture pack is in development for it, as are the rules. I just want to start it when there are enough people around and available to make a CC5 in the first place.

I'd be interested in making one or two short-medium length maps, long maps have never been my thing.

Im pretty sure CChest projects are a case of "if you build it, they will come"

Also, another thing about CChest projects is they should have a nonconventional crowd making them. It is supposed to be a grab bag rather than "The usual bag of weirdos do stuff"

Oh, and one thing I should've mentioned in my post but didn't: CC5 will not be a vanilla WAD. Ever. It will be a "Boom+" WAD, as in a modern Boom WAD compatible with PrBoom-plus -complevel 9, meaning that limits are removed and MBF sky transfers are allowed among others. Boom+ levels allow for things that vanilla Doom simply cannot do while retaining the same feel, and with what I plan for CC5 as mentioned in the previous post, there should be no issue with the size/difficulty of levels going out of control.

Hmm. Who decided that Community Chest belongs to you and only you, did I miss some ceremony? Don't get me wrong, I totally respect you but this "everything will be as I decide" attitude seems a little too arrogant to me... Maybe something called "COMMUNITY Chest" should go in the direction the whole community wants it to go.

Sorry if I sound like an asshole again. xd

Memfis said:

Who decided that Community Chest belongs to you and only you

Everyone else who tried to run it and fucked it up/decided to bail halfway through.

Memfis said:

Hmm. Who decided that Community Chest belongs to you and only you, did I miss some ceremony? Don't get me wrong, I totally respect you but this "everything will be as I decide" attitude seems a little too arrogant to me... Maybe something called "COMMUNITY Chest" should go in the direction the whole community wants it to go.

Sorry if I sound like an asshole again. xd

There are lots of community projects run by lots of different people. TGH manages Community Chest. You could always start your own project.

After TGH took it upon himself to clean up the mess left after Death-Destiny decided to start CC4 himself well ahead of schedule without consulting anyone, it's pretty disrespectful to shit on him for wanting to keep the same thing from happening again.

Once it's announced, I'll be happy to submit a candidate map. Boom compatibility is fine with me, even though I'll end-up doing plain limit-removing, because that's how I roll. Looking forward to the texture pack. It would be so cool if those uber-awesome CC4 purple textures by lupinx-kassman were included. I'd love to use them, but I'm guessing that since they're not in the pack, he hasn't released them to the public.

SteveD said:

Once it's announced, I'll be happy to submit a candidate map. Boom compatibility is fine with me, even though I'll end-up doing plain limit-removing, because that's how I roll. Looking forward to the texture pack. It would be so cool if those uber-awesome CC4 purple textures by lupinx-kassman were included. I'd love to use them, but I'm guessing that since they're not in the pack, he hasn't released them to the public.

The distributed version of CC4-tex is just the resource wad as it was originally given to mappers, so it's not an issue of intentional removal: it simply doesn't include any of the extras that were added by authors for their maps. You'd have to ask the respective authors whether they're okay with reuse of their work.

esselfortium said:

TGH manages Community Chest.

Well I think it's interesting because, from what I can tell, TGH wasn't even involved with cchest1/2 and wasn't leader of cchest3. He only lead cc4 while Cadman lead cc1/2. Not being a dick, it just seems a bit confusing.