Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

See through, unshootable window & door

I'd like to do this for my map with the door next to a window using the same trick, is there anything with a good example of the configuration I'd need to do?

Also, this is for ZDoom derived engines.

Glaice said:

See through, unshootable window & door. I'd like to do this for my map with the door next to a window using the same trick,

Please more details, I'm not sure what exactly you have in mind.

Do you see in the background where SKY2 and METAL is? That represents my home's sliding window and door where I will build the exterior section later on. I want to make a transparent (but not shoot through) window and transparent, usable door there.

Window is relatively easy. Use a translucent midtexture with a flag "Block Everything" set. Monsters shouldn't see you through such a window, but they might occasionally try to shoot you, anyway, even if they have no chance to shoot through, they'll sometimes fire like if they saw you. If you want to prevent this, use a trick with raised floor in front of the window and a linedef action to create fake floor/ceiling to look normally.

Transparent doors... Depends how you mean it. Do you mean translucent doors, or doors consisting just of its front/back lines with see-through gaps in them?

You can use a remotely activated translucent 3D floor for the former, and the fake floor/ceiling action for the latter.

This is going to be for deathmatch too.

Also I forgot to mention I am looking for a mirror texture, as I have no room for reflection trick used in ZDoom.

Glaice said:

I am looking for a mirror texture, as I have no room for reflection trick used in ZDoom.

Again, I'm not sure what exactly you're asking for. Try linedef action "Line: Mirror" on a 1-sided wall, and place a translucent 2-sided midtexture in front of it. Or are you seeking some decorative mirror borders?

Try using a self-referencing sector between the opening of the window, and connect it to the sides with only one vertex like so:

That way it'll be a clean break between both sides, rather than having to worry about a HOM line.

EDIT: No wait, that's a dumb solution. If this is Hexen or UDMF format, there should be a flag labelled "block everything". You can just put a single two-sided line on there with that flag on, no faffing about with sector references necessary.

Glaice said:

Also I forgot to mention I am looking for a mirror texture, as I have no room for reflection trick used in ZDoom.

One trick I've used in a Boom WAD once is that I took a screenshot of the area with a high FOV and used that as a sky texture. Of course, you can use as many skies as you'd like in a map. It's not perfect, but as good as you'll get without the actual mirror special.

It's very easy,just change the Front and Back Middle texture for a linedef to a Window,Door texture then change the Position of the Texture to wherever you want it ..

Glaice said:

Some time ago I investigated how to make transparent doors, and it turned out that there are several ways to do it.
This was the result.

As far as the window is concerned, follow the above process as outlined by DMGUYDZ64, with the slight difference to
bisect the window sector and to attach the window texture to the bisecting linedef. Then give this linedef some tranlucency.
and set Block Everything.

To see why to do it that way, construct the window both ways and have a close look at how the window is rendered.

Glaice said:

I'd like to do this for my map with the door next to a window using the same trick, is there anything with a good example of the configuration I'd need to do?

Make the door a 3D floor.

The window can be a simple translucent linedef.

@Scifista42: A nonreflective glass texture, I am using SHAWN2 as a placeholder currently.

Since I switch to GZDoom Builder and using it mostly for this map, the 3D floor thing should work but the window will remain impassable and only see through.

Oh yes, one last thing. I am doing this in Doom in Doom format, not Doom in Hexen format. I should have mentioned this much earlier and am looking at the transfer heights method or Doom/Doom 2 sector trick.

Glaice said:

Oh yes, one last thing. I am doing this in Doom in Doom format, not Doom in Hexen format. I should have mentioned this much earlier and am looking at the transfer heights method or Doom/Doom 2 sector trick.

It wouldn't surprise me if what you're attempting is out of scope for the format. I have my doubts you'll find something you'll be happy with within the limits of Doom in Doom, so you might have to forgo transparent textures and doors or upgrade to UDMF.

If you're using Doom format (why?) instead of UDMF (stop talking about Hexen format, there's even less reason to use Hexen format nowaday than to use Doom format) then you'll have to make your 3D floor and transparent lines with EDGE/Legacy linedef types that are handled by ZDoom's default map translator. Or write your own xlat for your map.

Arctangent said:

, so you might have to forgo transparent textures and doors or upgrade to UDMF.

Ironically both of these are easily doable in Boom. Where do you think Transfer_Heights originates from?

That still doesn't answer the the question why someone actually uses Doom(Doom map format) for ZDoom as it is far too limited and doesn't even make half of ZDoom's features available.
ZDoom's native format has been Hexen since practically forever and most features are geared toward that as a minimum requirement.