Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Making the PSX TC more accurate

I created a little patch to make the PSX TC more accurate. While this patch is by no means complete, it is at least a starting point. There is a bonus patch in there to make the experience more like that of the PAL version of the game.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=06975824567185319797

Features:

1. Game palette taken from PSX Doom (last index is the same as PC Doom)
2. Sprites taken from PSX Doom (adjusted to fit PC-compatible palette)
3. World aspect ratio is 8:7 instead of 5:6
4. Sprite ratio is 0.75 xscale (resulting in 6:7)
5. Player weapon damages use console formula
6. The first few monsters use more accurate timing from Jag source
7. Nightmare Spectre uses subtractive blending

Despite being credited on 1 and 2, that work is not in the distributed TC for whatever reason. 5 was already in there but commented out. There was no reason not to do 7.

As for 6, I was hoping to receive any kind of response to my private message at all. I hope I'm not being ignored. I can't really do much with the timing of Doom 2 actors until I have the PSX version's state table for its durations. If you didn't reverse engineer that section during your past efforts, okay, but I'd like to know if that's the case rather than receive radio silence.

personal request: is there any way we could get a version that runs in zdoom without the colour filters? playing it without those means every second room is pitch black and my computer sucks too much to go for the gzdoom version. I love psx doom, I love having doom2 enemies in ultimate doom but I can't play the fucking thing without either buying a) a new PSX or B) a new PC.

God speed gentlemen.

darknation said:

personal request: is there any way we could get a version that runs in zdoom without the colour filters? playing it without those means every second room is pitch black and my computer sucks too much to go for the gzdoom version. I love psx doom, I love having doom2 enemies in ultimate doom but I can't play the fucking thing without either buying a) a new PSX or B) a new PC.

God speed gentlemen.

The problem you describe is mostly caused by the light levels, not the colour filters. At low light levels, The PSX Doom's renderer is much brighter than the PC Doom's renderer. As a result, any PSX Doom map is going to be virtually pitch black when played in the PC Doom software renderer. The only reason PSX Doom levels are visible in GZDoom, is because GZDoom's "standard" sector light mode behaves vaguely similar to the PSX Doom's renderer.

I'd imagine if one could mass convert the light level of every sector in the PSX Doom levels to 3/4 of it's value +64, the levels would be visible in the software renderer.

Sodaholic said:

As for 6, I was hoping to receive any kind of response to my private message at all. I hope I'm not being ignored. I can't really do much with the timing of Doom 2 actors until I have the PSX version's state table for its durations. If you didn't reverse engineer that section during your past efforts, okay, but I'd like to know if that's the case rather than receive radio silence.

I'm very busy and what you're asking for isn't that easy to get in a format that you'll understand it in. I'll try to grab it at some point this weekend.

darknation said:

God speed gentlemen.

If you want to eradicate the colored lighting, it's just a question of opening PSXDOOM.PK3 in Slade, open the ACS/lightning.acs lump, delete all the lines inside the script 999 brackets, so that it becomes an empty script that does nothing, save the lump, compile, save the archive.

Doom_user said:

The problem you describe is mostly caused by the light levels, not the colour filters. At low light levels, The PSX Doom's renderer is much brighter than the PC Doom's renderer. As a result, any PSX Doom map is going to be virtually pitch black when played in the PC Doom software renderer. The only reason PSX Doom levels are visible in GZDoom, is because GZDoom's "standard" sector light mode behaves vaguely similar to the PSX Doom's renderer.

I'd imagine if one could mass convert the light level of every sector in the PSX Doom levels to 3/4 of it's value +64, the levels would be visible in the software renderer.

One way to make software renderer ZDoom brighter without washing the image out in white gamma is to play with r_visibility. Try setting it to 16 instead of the default 8.

There are two other things that also need to happen:

1. GZDoom needs a lightscale property in mapinfo. In the TC, this would be set to 2.0, meaning that everything would go past full brightness to the point of getting crushed, just like the actual PSX version as well as Quake.

2. Sector movement speeds need to be universally adjusted. The Jaguar version introduced some inconsistencies such as slow moving sectors going down faster than they go up. A scripted utility to recognize and mass-replace them in the UDMF maps would be needed.

Gez said:

If you want to eradicate the colored lighting, it's just a question of opening PSXDOOM.PK3 in Slade, open the ACS/lightning.acs lump, delete all the lines inside the script 999 brackets, so that it becomes an empty script that does nothing, save the lump, compile, save the archive.

Unfortunately, that doesn't quite work in the current version of the TC, as colored lighting is handled via sector property and not script.

The only way to get rid of it (easily) would be to search and replace all instances of lightcolor with //lightcolor. Tedious to do it manually, you'd need a script for it not to be a pain.

Quasar said:

I'm very busy [...] I'll try to grab it at some point this weekend.

Hey, no rush. I figured it was more likely that you were busy than ignoring me, but radio silence drives me a bit crazy. I apologize if I come across as rude to any extent.

Quasar said:

what you're asking for isn't that easy to get in a format that you'll understand it in.

I'll take your word for that. I don't expect tech support, I'll gladly accept it in any form.