Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Snapchat problem on my new phone

So I just bought my first phone ever that isn't your basic cellphone, and thus I decided to try out the popular app called snapchat. However I have a problem, after I clicked sign up and filled the email and password areas, I have no idea what to do. I don't see any buttons called "accept" or "go forward" etc so I am basically stuck. I also don't see any buttons on my phone (it's a samsung galaxy) that would help.

How do I proceed? I am completely new to these phones. Anyone?

scifista42 said:

We can't see what exactly you see on your phone, therefore asking for help on the forum is inefficient. Use Google to find out a guide. Try this one, for example: http://mashable.com/2014/08/04/snapchat-for-beginners/

scifista42 said:
To create a free account, tap "Sign Up." After entering your email address, password and birthday, tap the "Sign Up" button. [/B]

Well I guess shit is just broken then. Because tapping the sign up button the second time does nothing. Even after I have filled by address, password and birthday, I can't tap the sign up button. I have tried a million times. Taping it does nothing.

EDIT: Ok I was finally able to sign in, but I appear to have some bullshit called snapkidz instead of the real thing which I understand comes with limitations. How do I get rid of that shit?

And on a sidenote, I am REALLY not getting what is suppose to be so great about these kinds of phones. Using the virtual keyboard is a fucking nightmare since the buttons are smaller than your fingers you hit the wrong things all the time. What the fuck was wrong with just using directional buttons? I hit the wrong shit all the time.

hardcore_gamer said:

How do I get rid of that shit?

Galaxy Ace here. To uninstall an app, go to Apps>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications

RTFM dude.

And on a sidenote, I am REALLY not getting what is suppose to be so great about these kinds of phones. Using the virtual keyboard is a fucking nightmare since the buttons are smaller than your fingers you hit the wrong things all the time. What the fuck was wrong with just using directional buttons? I hit the wrong shit all the time.

I hated my smartphone at first, but then I got used to it. There's no rule saying that you absolutely can't use an oldschool cellphone if you hate your smartphone that much, though.

hardcore_gamer said:

And on a sidenote, I am REALLY not getting what is suppose to be so great about these kinds of phones.

They are simply better at running apps that don't require being a computer nerd or owning a PhD to use, than older ones.

As for touch screens...for most apps they are more intuitive to the average grunt that scrolling or using arrow keys to select buttons of items from lists. The alternative to VKs on non-touch screen phones was texting with the numerical keypad (at most with T9 prediction, which is still used even with VKs), and compared to that it's perhaps a bit better, but yeah, it's uncomparable to a physical keyboard, hence all those keyboard/holder accessories for smartphones and tablets, if you really are going to do that much typing.

Some older types of smartphones did come with small physical alphanumerical keyboards (e.g. Nokia Communicator, or Sony Ericsson p990i, which also had a touchscreen), but those too are no better than oldschool texting when it comes to ergonomics, and took up too much real estate on the device, which can be better used for a larger screen, battery, processing power or all of the above together.

hardcore_gamer said:

Well I guess shit is just broken then. Because tapping the sign up button the second time does nothing. Even after I have filled by address, password and birthday, I can't tap the sign up button. I have tried a million times. Taping it does nothing.

EDIT: Ok I was finally able to sign in, but I appear to have some bullshit called snapkidz instead of the real thing which I understand comes with limitations. How do I get rid of that shit?

what did you enter in the birthdate field? were you alive in the 90s?

DoomUK said:

Galaxy Ace here. To uninstall an app, go to Apps>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications

RTFM dude.

Fucking stupid Samsung Touchwiz, that's why. Normally you should just drag the app into a trash bin, but Touchwiz requires you to do the dated "Control Panel/Manage Applications/Uninstall" sequence.

I managed to fix that problem by installing the Nova Launcher, which looks a lot like vanilla Android's home screen. Fuck Samsung.

Maes said:

Some older types of smartphones did come with small physical alphanumerical keyboards (e.g. Nokia Communicator, or Sony Ericsson p990i, which also had a touchscreen), but those too are no better than oldschool texting when it comes to ergonomics, and took up too much real estate on the device, which can be better used for a larger screen, battery, processing power or all of the above together.

There were also those phones that had a slide-out keyboard behind the touchscreen. They seemed like they might take off for a while, but I think that was when Samsung was still screwing up their software badly.

Aliotroph? said:

There were also those phones that had a slide-out keyboard behind the touchscreen.

That's exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned dubious ergonomics and use of device real-estate. Whether they slid out, flipped in a clamshell or what have you (the SE p990i actually had both a touchscreen, a fixed mini-keyboard AND a clamshell keypad), in the end it was much better from a UI and performance perspective to use the same space for a bigger screen, a bigger battery, and better hardware.

Those smartphone folding covers with a mini USB keyboard accessory took care of that niche too, IMO. If somebody really needs a usable keyboard for his touchscreen device, he can invest in one of those.

hardcore_gamer said:

Typing on these things is always going to be painful, especially if you're a swaety motherfucker like I am.. But there are benefits. Having the internet + phone combo really comes in handy when you're on the go, I get use out of the Google maps on the daily to find my way around town to new/interesting places - Restaurants, bars, clubs etc etc. It's great having a portable digital map, as long as you can get past the LIVING HELL that is trying to type on these damn things.

They're piss weak though, don't drop it more than 6 inches on anything but the softest of pillows. The screens crack like crazy and getting a case makes them even more bulky. I ended up getting a tiny Huawei smartphone when my iPhone 3G bit the dust after like 4 months of use. I jus't can't handle lugging around a 1 pound phone like most of my friends do, even if it's kinda shitty/slow by comparison. It goes online and gets me my maps, and texts/calls decently enough, so that's good enough for me.

Another tip, ALWAYS keep a backup old phone (Nokia or some such) due to the aforementioned easy-break technology that's all the rage these days.

Ever since I got used to touchscreen keyboards, having to type on tiny physical buttons has become itself painful, since I have to exert more force to make them press. Also physical buttons seem to be a lot less durable than touchscreens.

Why did you not go to an actual phone forum?

In my brief experience with phone forums, it's all jailbreak this, check my app that, and aunts getting rich quick earning $820.19 per hour from their home thanks to go.ogle.cn.