Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

A ten level prequel idea.

Maybe a prequel to doom community project can become a thing in the making. I was thinking these could be allies, and the game would take place at the start of the outbreak.

The end of the episode would be you running through a horde of monsters, watching your comrades get torn to shreds. You go through a door, revealing E1M1.

Piper Maru said:

What would the gameplay for thirty levels consist of?

Manly grunting, some games of cards and furious masturbation.

I wonder some people have dreams of grandeur and they fool themselves into thinking they can manage them. But if for some chance it becomes reality, good for them.

FuzzballFox said:

Manly grunting, some games of cards and furious masturbation.

That sounds Epic as HELL and so full of WIN

Piper Maru said:

What would the gameplay for thirty levels consist of?

A representation of this, culminating in the beginning of tbe invasion as recounted in the story. After all, we all know that Doomguy began his Dooming career after stealing a dying comrade's uniform and sidearm, and entered E1M1 aboard his BFG Scooter, which gives him his unique mobility and carrying capacity.

Furious masturbation is the core concept, naturally.

Gameplay would consist of starting on a large starship. You're given some kind of tedious chore to do, and on your way to doing it, the lights on the ship turn red. What was originally just a shipment of medical supplies, food, water, and munitions has just become a seek and destroy mission. Your ship has taken fire from a base on Phobos. Your ship loses all power, save for the emergency lighting which isn't going to last long. You start dropping health as the oxygen generators are fucked. So you throw on your SCBA (just the HAZMAT suit from the game). You gather as much ammo as you can, and end that opening level by opening up the door of the ship. The levels after that consist of you fighting off the demonic horde on your way to E1M1 to figure out exactly what the hell happened. For the first ten levels or so, you don't see former human monsters. But after level eleven, you gradually start seeing less ally chain gunners, sergeants, and riflemen, and start gradually seeing more former human monsters to show that the bodies of your fallen comrades are becoming possessed.

Maes said:

we all know that Doomguy began his Dooming career after stealing a dying comrade's uniform and sidearm, and entered E1M1 aboard his BFG Scooter, which gives him his unique mobility and carrying capacity.

can we get Segway Doom where you play as Doomguy on a segway

AD_79 said:

can we get Segway Doom where you play as Doomguy on a segway

The way Doomguy moves, we already do.

So this would basically be like the start of Doom 3? Similar to "Mars Underground" only with allies? I like the sound of it - although 30 maps would be far too many. A single "prequel" episode in the way you described would be truly awesome though.

RUSH said:

So this would basically be like the start of Doom 3? Similar to "Mars Underground" only with allies? I like the sound of it - although 30 maps would be far too many. A single "prequel" episode in the way you described would be truly awesome though.

That does sound better.

So ten maps...hmm...anybody know how to do sprite replacement and scripting to alter behavior so these guys could be allies? I'd like to collaborate and make this happen.

I've been thinking about an Episode 0. Tech base theme with occasionally some marines still alive fighting the demon invasion, final thing you do is open the outer door of the facility for a fellow marine to get in before his air runs out.

And the player dies to an ambush and it turns out that he is that first corpse in E1M1 and the friendly marine is Doomguy himself, you hand him the pistol before dying.

EDIT: I can script, but can you map? :-D

Maes said:

A representation of this, culminating in the beginning of tbe invasion as recounted in the story. After all, we all know that Doomguy began his Dooming career after stealing a dying comrade's uniform and sidearm, and entered E1M1 aboard his BFG Scooter, which gives him his unique mobility and carrying capacity.

LMAO. The look on his face...

"Damn it, how many times have I told Sarge not to take part in fajita night? The guy has irritable bowels, and the toilet looks like hell every time he's done."

But will we learn the secret of the imps?

That is my sole prerequisite for a doom sequel.

TheMionicDonut said:

But will we learn the secret of the imps?

Imps are mutated Klesk captured by the Vadrigar. Or something.

Show us! [newprojecttag] TraceOfSpades, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done. [/newprojecttag]

And well, are the sprites you've shown just front angles, or did you make a full set of rotations already? If you didn't, it will take you weeks or whole months before you can even finish sprite work. And then do all the mapping. All with non-guaranteed success - will such a gameplay even be a worthy fun? My recommendation: Start simple and less ambitious.

Don't you think a 9-map prequel would not only be more practical to achieve, but would fit in perfectly with the episode system of Doom 1?

30 maps is quite a lot to bite off. My first (released) megawad was 15 maps with quite a lot of custom sprite work and it still took me about 2 years. I made about 30-40 maps before that, some quite full-fledged, and they were crap looking back - Just testing grounds to understand the do's and dont's of mapping.

If you want to make this a communal thing, don't hesitate to post public betas - In my experience, this is the best way to get things done right.

VGA said:

And the player dies to an ambush and it turns out that he is that first corpse in E1M1 and the friendly marine is Doomguy himself, you hand him the pistol before dying.

Honestly, this is a cool idea for an ending! ...Or "beginning" I guess, you know what I mean. ;)

Speaking more seriously, I think that a single map would be more fitting than 32 ones, after all, there is not much going on before e1m1.

Thirty was a mistake. I would love a communal ten map episode.

The chaingunner is mad because those pants make him look fat.

Simply put, I'd like anybody who is interested in being a part of this to inbox me.

Really if you want to expand the WAD, I suggest it should start on earth where the Doomguy assaults his officer and then be sent to the space ship rather than starting right away on the ship.

Doominator2 said:

Really if you want to expand the WAD, I suggest it should start on earth where the Doomguy assaults his officer and then be sent to the space ship rather than starting right away on the ship.

That's a pretty good idea.

Piper Maru said:

So what will the player be doing for ten levels?

Killing shit, what else?

He starts either on earth, or on a ship headed to mars. Some demons attack, as the game progresses, you see more and more former human monsters showing up, and the game ends at the start of E1M1.

Just like any prequel gangster film, gangsters shooting gangsters before they embark on shooting more gangsters.

Like a romance film, people loving other people before the next part of the story which involves people loving people.

It's a prequel like most, more of the same but set before....so yes.

Piper Maru said:

So it's Doom guy killing demons and zombies prior to the events of him killing demons and zombies?

Pretty much, but at first there aren't any zombies. It's to show that the zombie monsters weren't always evil, but are fallen allies that became possessed by evil spirits.

Gameplay, it's the same as doom. It's just a cool visual to the backstory.

But if it helps increase your interest, I can include a part where doomguy takes a break to violently masturbate to escape from the state of mind war has put him in. It can be in first person view.