Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

GZDoom uses the wrong monitor.

I might have asked this before but I can't eitehr recall or find where I asked that then.

Buit I started GZDoom today and I got three displays on my computer. #1 is a monitor that got portrait mode applied. While #3 is the main display in Windows and are at landscape.

Anyway, GZDoom insist on displaying on #1 regardless of what I tried. No other game I have does this. How can I change it and would it be possible to add a function to the "set resolution" menu that allows you do define what screen GZDoom would default to? Or even use if you would say want to use all three.

I've had the same problem, as stated vid_adapter needs to be changed to the correct value for your setup. GZDoom is also the only fullscreen Windows program I have ever seen disregard what Windows has set as the primary display.. very annoying.

I don't think that's actually true, because otherwise GZDoom would startup on my VGA monitor (which my system considers to be the default primary).

Don't you mean would NOT?!
The issue is that it does NOT choose the primary display. It instead defaults to the monitor identified as #1. Which is not the same thing.

Sorry, to clarify: I have two monitors, VGA and HDMI. The HDMI is set to the primary in Windows, but by system defaults the VGA comes first (and thus is the main display used by the BIOS).

Edit: Okay, fascinating. ZDoom identifies this correctly, which is what I used to test initially. GZDoom seems to somehow muck this up, even though it too reports the right primary display. According to vid_adapters, it somehow isn't building the adapter list primary first. Strange, as there should be no reason why they would report this differently, unless it's the hardware API building the list, and OpenGL somehow gets it wrong (ZDoom uses Direct3D, for comparison).

The GL renderer uses a different API to retrieve that info.
The code comes with the following comment:

// This assumes the monitors are returned by EnumDisplayMonitors in the
// order they're found in the Direct3D9 adapters list. Fingers crossed...

Apparently this isn't true.

Would it be possible for GZDoom on Windows to retrieve that information through Direct3D like ZDoom, without having to set up anything useless?

Edward850 said:

Edit: Okay, fascinating. ZDoom identifies this correctly, which is what I used to test initially. GZDoom seems to somehow muck this up, even though it too reports the right primary display.

Correct, which is why we found it a bit weird, even old OpenGL games or other non DirectX/3D Doom engines like GLBoom-Plus correctly uses the monitor selected as primary in Windows, which in my case is monitor #2.

I actually had to ask this same question as Kristus when I started using multiple monitors heh.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/68109-gzdoom-and-multiple-monitors-issue/

Maybe look into how GLBoom-Plus handles it? Though it uses SDL which might make whatever it does not applicable.

These other engines probably have no means to switch monitors at all. So they obviously pick the correct one.

Please keep in mind that the vid_adapter code was an external code submission so I cannot say much about it.

Graf Zahl said:

These other engines probably have no means to switch monitors at all. So they obviously pick the correct one.

Exactly my thoughts - as long as GZDoom is consistent, you're lucky to be able to specify the monitor you want, and have it stick. No bug here.

And you know what.. to add to that..

I just remembered that the only big games I know of, RAGE and Wolfenstein: The New Order, both idtech5 games are exactly like this.

It defaults to whatever is display number 1, but has a menu option to select which display to use.

The only difference here GZDoom could perhaps use is a menu option to change the vid_adapter variable so less people ask about this.