Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breeder

Perfected DOOM 3

http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

Do any of you play this? What are your thoughts on it? I'm trying it out for the first time with all the recommended ad-ons, and thus far I'm pretty impressed, it feels more like what DOOM III should have been, well that an my trust Locker Code Cheat sheet, because really, who want's to follow a story in DOOM, who want to read e-mails, listen to voice mails, or even punch in locker codes at that. Give me some good old fashioned switch puzzles any day! :)

Personally I think that the graphic enhancements look awful and the "classic doom" implementations are half-assed and hacky.

In my opinion, game mods that attempt to steer the gameplay towards something the game wasn't designed for end up turning out less fun than the original unless they basically rebuild the entire game from the ground up, and because of how much of a pain in the ass Doom 3 is to mod, most of these uber HD br00tal mods for Doom 3 can't do much more than add a shitload of bloom and overdone bumpmapping and then try to add classic doom amounts of monsters to linear corridor maps as if that's actually going to work.

Indeed, some of those visual effects go over board, and the bump mapping does look crappy at times.

Have you tried Shambler's Castle, or Doom Reborn?

I wish I could play that Quake II: Lost Marine mod for Doom 3, but unfortunately it wasn't updated to work on the final version of Doom 3.

It's a Ok mod, I kinda like It alot. Gives DOOM 3 that modern feel If some people wanna take their DOOM 3 experience to the next level. But I'll always prefer DOOM 3 with the Nitro mod (ragdolls don't dissapear In the small mod).

For a mod that calls itself "Perfected" Doom 3 it's surprisingly not all that great. It's much better to just modify the weapon definitions in notepad or download my personal weapon modification here:

http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Viktors_Upgraded_Weapons;119282#Rate (Shamelss self advertising)

From there you can download Sikkmod and other various mods to tweak the game to your liking.

Breeder said:

who want's to follow a story in DOOM, who want to read e-mails, listen to voice mails, or even punch in locker codes at that.

Me. I always like when a bit of adventure style exploring and investigating is mixed in my FPS experience. I loved games like System Shock 2.

Tetzlaff said:

Me. I always like when a bit of adventure style exploring and investigating is mixed in my FPS experience. I loved games like System Shock 2.

That was my first impressione with "DOOM" III, is that is played more like System Shock 2 (lite), but with better graphics...

...in short, it didn't feel like DOOM, and I felt like I just needed to play System Shock 2 instead. :)