Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Jim Beam Vs Jack Daniels

If you had to choose between a bottle of the basic Jim Beam white or the basic Jack Daniels old nr.7, which would you pick?

And which do you think wins over the other once you get to their more "high-end" products like Black label and Gentlemen Jack?

Well, depends what your style is, really. Do you want to be like the "cool'n shit" guy in Jim Beam and say "This ain't Jim Beam" in a steady, macho, studly voice?

Or do you see yourself more like an old codger/fart snaking on his porch and playing with the barrels' corks, waiting for the whiskey to mature?

For what regards taste, things are simple, at least personally: I don't like the taste of bourbon so that leaves Jack. Though given ampler choice I'd stay away from that rotgut and get me some decent single malt instead. Even Black Ram (Bulgarian whiskey) is much better than both.

Maes said:
I don't like the taste of bourbon so that leaves Jack.

I am pretty sure Jack is a bourbon. I think I heard somewhere that because of regulations Jack can't call itself bourbon but that it is made in basically 90% the same way as bourbon is.

I like single malts as well but bourbon just tastes rougher somehow which appeals to me more.

Drinking either of them straight is fucking vile. Dilute them with coke if you must, but then it becomes a battle between Coke v.s Pepsi for the predominant taste.

Bunnahabhain whisky is best whisky.

darknation said:

Drinking either of them straight is fucking vile. Dilute them with coke if you must, but then it becomes a battle between Coke v.s Pepsi for the predominant taste.

Bunnahabhain whisky is best whisky.

Mixing coke with whiskey is fucking gross. I will admit I have only tried it once with old coke which had gone flat and was beyond it's expiration date, but I can't imagine it tasting way better with normal coke. I like my whiskey straight with a splash of water. In some cases even completely straight if it's very good.

Out of curiosity, have those of you who have claim they are both terrible actually tasted more than just the basic generic version of each brand. I think Gentlemen Jack for example, is actually pretty solid.

Black velvet or johnny black are my whiskey poisons of choice. Better sipping whiskey rather than being forced to mix it with cola.

Having actually tasted what you mentioned, unlike most of the other responses so far, I'd say that Beam Black is well worth the extra coinage. American whiskey does not fair well at 40% abv, pretty much anything at this level is considered mixing whiskey with good reason. Now given a choice between only No.7 and Beam White, I'd go with No.7 because I have had a few that weren't too terrible, can't say the same for White label.

Now if your wallet if feeling somewhat heavier, Jack Single Barrel is actually really good, but often ignored due to the name. Then again anything labelled single barrel has always been a winner to me.

DoomUK said:

I'll have a Scotch.

Indeed.

Who are Jim Daniels and Jack Beam anyway? ;)

Mixing whiskey with coke... ugh, that's something low class yobs do in Greece, and night clubs are all too happy to "oblige" by serving them overpriced synthetic moonshine -what's the difference, since they are going to mix it with coke anyway?

I don't drink much if not at all (not very tolerant of alcoholic drinks), but Jim Beam is the only one I had (whiskey/bourbon is the only drink I can tolerate) and it taste pretty good. I drink it straight, screw the whole rum and coke situation.
Haven't had Jack only because it's usually out, so Beam or similar are gotten.
But if time comes, I'd like to try the "good stuff". I put it in quotes as it may or may not to be my liking.

Out of those two? Wild Turkey. Coke and bourbon mixed tastes like paint stripper so if you have to mix it with cola I'd suggest Pepsi.

Southern Comfort all the way. Goes down smooth, even shots.

I prefer Beam to Daniel's, but they're both good enough with some Coke. Screw Pepsi, that shit is vile.

I'll take a few shots of the honey infused stuff or the fancy stuff like Gentleman Jack, but I'd only buy it on really special occasions - that shit costs an arm and a leg.

I prefer a cold beer on a hot day to anything else. There's nothing quite so refreshing..

Doomkid said:

Now if you record this quote with a smooth Southern drawl, I'm sold.

Scet said:

Now if your wallet if feeling somewhat heavier, Jack Single Barrel is actually really good, but often ignored due to the name. Then again anything labelled single barrel has always been a winner to me.

I am curious about Jack single barrel. I have already tried Gentlemen Jack which I hear is basically just the normal Jack Daniels except it is filtered twice, meaning it tastes basically the same but has a stronger and a better taste. What makes the single barrel version different from the original?

Doomkid said:

I have a bottle of Southern Comfort I bought I don't know how long ago, still almost completely full. I don't get it's appeal. It has more sugar in it than a candy bar factory and makes my stomach upset after just a couple of drinks.

Maes said:

Mixing whiskey with coke... ugh, that's something low class yobs do in Greece, and night clubs are all too happy to "oblige" by serving them overpriced synthetic moonshine -what's the difference, since they are going to mix it with coke anyway?

I have never understood the appeal of using whiskey as a mixer. If you want to hide the taste why not just use a cheaper alcohol like vodka?

hardcore_gamer said:

I have never understood the appeal of using whiskey as a mixer. If you want to hide the taste why not just use a cheaper alcohol like vodka?

That's what more working-class (and less refined) hooligan yobs do: they drink a mixture of retsina (the cheapest, nastiest, synthetic white wine you can find in Greece) and coke, called "Tuba Libre".

The result is a lot of buzzed up hooligans with cramping stomachs. That's literally a street drink.

If you want to try it, the "deluxe" recipe is one part Johnnie Red Label (assuming ofc a broke hooligan can afford even this shitty whiskey), one part coke and two parts retsina wine.

The real deal "poverty" version however is just two parts retsina and one part coke. The nasty sharp, varnishy, sulfur-laden taste of retsina wine blends "nicely" with the acidic, corrosive action of the coke.

If you can't find retsina, just use the shittiest white wine you can get hold of, it's about the same.

Bloodshedder said:

That article just says what a single barrel version of a whiskey is. I already knew this. I was asking him how it was different taste wise. Merely telling somebody how something is made doesn't tell them much about what it is like to drink it. You don't know what ice cream tastes like by reading about it's creation process. Not to mention that it's also more fun hearing somebody describe their personal experience instead of reading some generic description on wikipedia.

The version sold here is 47%, so obviously it has more kick than the 40% No.7. Plus I think it's aged a bit younger, 5-6 years versus 3-4.

The single barrel is less sweet with a much more rustic and complex flavour. No.7 tastes like diluted sweet corn water with a touch of charcoal. That bit of charcoal is why I put it over Beam White.

If you're not used to higher proofs though, I don't know if you should spend the cash on Jack single barrel. Maybe get George Dickel No.12, which is another good Tennessee whiskey at a lower price.

Don't forget that Jack Daniels is used in the official Finnish Trucker Fitness Test:

If you can drink this crap, then you're fit like a true Finnish Rekkamies (or at least you can drink like one, I guess).