Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Wrack currently available on Steam at -60% discount

Doom Legacy also had it implemented, and you could toggle it on and off. In that port it made Cyberdemon fights rather lulzy as anything could be effected by the jumping.

dew said:

I'm sorry, but are you perhaps unaware of dedicated rocket jumping wads for advanced ports? I mean, Carn made Skulltag and they used to be pretty big there too. Zdoom has Defrag literally as ridiculous as the Quake one.

A lot of us don't think "thing that only really exists in advanced ports" when we think of classic Doom.

As far as I know, there's exactly one spot in the official wads where hitting yourself with rocket splash to propel yourself somewhere else was an intentional feature, and that was a horizontal "boost", not a jump. That's a far cry from a level that features tons of rocket jumping up tall shafts and out of deep pits.

And you assumed Carnevil, author of Skulltag, falls into the same category as you?

It doesn't matter a whole lot what Carn associates with typical Doom action; it matters a lot more what the average player associates with typical Doom action, and most of them are going to associate a lot of the details about how Wrack plays, including rocket jumping, more with Quake than Doom.

Wait wait, it doesn't matter what the game developer considers to be "Doomlike" when he tries to distance himself from it during the development? That's nonsense, he comes from the environment, it's imprinted on him. Sure, your average Steam user won't even know such things as advanced Zdoom mods exist, but I doubt they associate Quake with arcadey gameplay Carn was aiming for either. That's reserved for skilled players who consider circle/rocket/nade jumping their second nature. Not to mention almost everyone on this site thinks Wrack map design still needs to be more vertical and arcadey to even begin to properly exploit its engine.

Anyway, back to the original topic, the sale is nearly over, so be sure to grab it while you have the chance. Is Wrack merely a Doom ripoff in the art style of Borderlands?!?! You decide.

Carnevil said:

Anyway, back to the original topic, the sale is nearly over, so be sure to grab it while you have the chance. Is Wrack merely a Doom ripoff in the art style of Borderlands?!?! You decide.

I would say yes.

Well, I'm still enjoying this game. It's not the game of my dreams or anything (which is probably just a Doom loveletter, complete with sprite enemies and an automap), but it is fun.

There's a pretty interesting podcast here that talks about perceptions. It's really interesting in general, but the way it's relevant to all of this specifically is that they talk about how when you're more familiar with some category, you can better perceive all of the nuanced differences, whereas when you're less familiar with a category, everything within it seems to same to you. One of the examples they give in it is that if you work at a paint shop, you might look at 5 different shades of white and call them light cream, eggshell, bone, pale, and powder. If you don't work at a paint shop, you'd look at those 5 different shades and call them white, white white, white, and "Why are you wasting my time? These are all the same!"

I think that's going on to some degree here. I'm more familiar with the game, so I'm more familiar with all the nuances of it and ways it's differentiated from other titles in the genre. It's frustrating to me obviously that others don't, but I understand it. It's something I'll have to, and will do a much better job on next time.

Carnevil said:

I wouldn't call it a rip off, by any means. Plus, "Doom clone" kinda died out a while back anyways. Has more similarities to Quake or Rise of the Triad, if anything. It even has that hammer that never made it into Quake, sort of.

You can make the seeking missiles stop by getting above/below them (other seeking missiles follow the same rules). Find a place where you can crouch and have them go over you and you should be good.