Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moustachio

Civitatula - Beta #1.5 Released

It doesn't mean anything. It's just something I coined just now to describe a really long/huge map (i.e. Eternal Doom, etc.).

I like how some parts are non-orthogonal, but there could be even more of this, as long as you pay close attention to texture alignment at the end of the day and clean things up upon finishing the map. Don't get stuck figuring out the details and precise measurements in the middle of your process. The whole map has to come out of you before calibrations can be made on your overall technique.

Thanks for the tips! I usually just detail when I've lost inspiration and need to get the creative juices flowing, and I do map the basic flow and shape before I detail/tweak.

EDIT: Also, I just want to make a note that I'm totally down to do a Skype mapping session with anyone who's interested. I feel like it'd be a good experience to have someone to bounce ideas off of and get instant feedback. Skype name is Matt534Dog.

I like it. Merely brown scene is going to give bad impressions, though. If you want a visually consistent texturing, then place some non-brown decorations at the very least (burning barrels?), but preferably complement the brown with a more radiant colour, such as green.

A lot of the reason it's mostly one texture is because I had to play around with simplifying the geometry to get it under the visplane limit. Some aspects of that area still go over the drawsegs limit, which is a huge pain.

Why make it so long?

You could just attach an exit room to the start area, make it require a key, or multiple keys, then place the skullkeys in places in the map.

Save your energy for additional maps.

Because I like the flow of the map area. It's honestly still not that large or time-consuming compared to some other maps out there.

EDIT: Also, ahhhhhhh, didn't expect to be moved to WADs & Mods. I thought confining myself to blogs would keep the amount of people who viewed my highly WIP map to a minimum.

P.S.S. I have other maps nearing completion as well.

Matt534Dog said:

A lot of the reason it's mostly one texture is because I had to play around with simplifying the geometry to get it under the visplane limit. Some aspects of that area still go over the drawsegs limit, which is a huge pain.

Keep going, I like what I see, but why make it 'nilla?

Nice screenshots. I've always been a fan of the brown brick + support3/metal combination.

Matt534Dog said:

Could it not simply be declared limit-removing only?

SteveD said:

Keep going, I like what I see, but why make it 'nilla?

Sui Generis said:

Nice screenshots. I've always been a fan of the brown brick + support3/metal combination.

Could it not simply be declared limit-removing only?

I like working in vanilla because I feel that there's something fun about pushing DOOM2.exe to it's absolute limit. It's a fun mapping challenge for me. Also, because I'm some kind of weird purist and I like playing in vanilla when I can. Plus, being able to have it run in any engine/source port is a nice bonus too. :)

yukib1t said:

I might just be out of touch with the mapping community, but... what's a "supermap"?

Seems to be a reinvention of, or at least related to, cph's "monster level" concept.

The reason I brought it up because there's a a bit of satisfaction when reaching the exits of levels. My preferred amount of time is no more than 12 minutes per map. Maps much longer than that can be a real chore to play and record demos for.

I find the short and sweet ones to be much more memorable.

I find the short and sweet ones to be much more memorable.

I find the long and epic ones to be more memorable. It's just a matter of taste, no?

Matt534Dog said:

I like working in vanilla because I feel that there's something fun about pushing DOOM2.exe to it's absolute limit. It's a fun mapping challenge for me. Also, because I'm some kind of weird purist and I like playing in vanilla when I can.

Wow, actually play in Doom2.exe? That is seriously hardcore and not something I'd do short of having a gun put to my head. ;) I can understand wanting to push the engine. The BTSX team has done very well at that. And of course, when I started mapping in '96, 'nilla was the only option. But now, using chocorenderlimits to test maps -- on a 20-inch monitor, which is small these days -- is too much eye-rape. I remember hearing about Crispy Doom or something else that would be 'nilla except for hi-rez. Since I refuse to play Doom at less than 1280x1024, that would be the way to go for me. And yet, I'm still doing 2 maps for UDINO, but after those are done, I think I'll pass on all future 'nilla projects.

Just the same, I'll be happy to play/test your map when it's ready. But I'll do it with GZDoom. ;)

Matt534Dog said:

It doesn't mean anything. It's just something I coined just now to describe a really long/huge map (i.e. Eternal Doom, etc.).

That is called a megawad.

Superluigieth1 said:

That is called a megawad.

No.

Anyway, here is my FDA (given up after 2 failures). It was interesting. Ammo and weaponry was limited, and I felt that my strength was up to par with the monsters. I've actually enjoyed that kind of gameplay! Architecture was OK and I liked the nonlinearity and consistent style, even if rough and without "in-your-face fancy" detailing which some mappers feel a need to put everywhere. Varied enemy cast was also nice to see. Very good map! :)

Well that was for the most part a very enjoyable map. As with any map that size there is a danger of getting lost, so I was running around for a while trying to work out what to do. (I played on UV) General comments:

- There really needs to be an Armor nearer the start. You are fighting a lot of hitscan from distance for the first portion of the map and they can just chunk down your health like there's no tomorrow.
- There needs to be more than one PG on the map, maybe one near each key location. The yellow key was the last thing I found, so I did most of the map without it and I was running around with 500+ Cells I couldn't use for well over 75% of the map which was the reason for:
- Ammo balance felt on the low side, but it depends on what weapons you have. I was low on Shells and Bullets at many points (and ran out of Shells 3 times) and if you don't pick up the RL or PG until much later, you are likely to run out of ammo taking down the numerous mid-tier enemies.
- Due to the size of the map, a Computer Map somewhere may be a nice idea.
- The end fight was cool.

Overall a great map.

scifista42 said:

...even if rough and without "in-your-face fancy" detailing which some mappers feel a need to put everywhere.

I will admit, a lot of the reason for this was to prevent various visplane/seglimit overflows. The outdoor passage to the blue key area and the lava room were especially difficult to get down.

Overall, great feedback so far! I can only play through my own maps so much before my brain loses direction and collapses, so thank you all very much!

I forgot to mention that here there was a small HOM effect near the red key. (It also shows my 600 Cell and no PG situation, where the PG would have been very useful at this fight)

I think nobody mentioned these things yet:

-There is no way out of sector 837. Also, shouldn't it be damaging?

-I never figured how to grab berserk behind train (thing 246) without jumping.

-The final monster holding area is poorly designed. In my Zdoom playthrough, some mosters "plugged" the way to the teleport linedefs and blocked the way for others (see the screenshot). About 40 monsters did't teleport into playable areas. In the end, I had to noclip and run south, so the monsters would "unplug" the teleports. After I returned to the playabe areas, they poured in pretty quickly, though.

Apart from that, I agree with things Degree wrote.

Beta #1.5 Released: http://www.mediafire.com/download/a5bdccgzuuqb0nb/makinbank%283%29.wad

Contains bugfixes and slight gameplay adjustments including:

-Sector 837 now damaging and escapable.

-Berserk behind train (thing 246) is now reachable (as well as the medikit on the other side).

-Final battle fixed. Monsters no longer plug the teleporter and all of them spawn in (thus, the final battle is now more challenging).

-Two more Plasma Guns are now placed in the red and blue key areas.

-Green Armor placed near the starting area.

-A computer map was added.