Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dolman

DTWiD - My version of Episode One of DOOM

Dolman said:

Do you know which wad of mine you are running? (What time of day was it last modified?)

I can play some of your demos fine, others get out of sync bad.

It's called "Jareds Doom.wad", and I've downloaded it 3 minutes before I wrote this post (this particular time became both the creation time and last change time of the file on my computer)

For those playing this (or about to), I have uploaded the newest WAD in my original post.

Fixes:
Nuke damage corrected through levels 1-9
Ammo on level 3, 5, 9
Small fixes on level 3, 9

scifista42: I think I've been able to watch all your demos with the exception of 5 which I can't seem to play.

Holy cow - I see why you were talking of low ammo on level 9! There was a large section of weapons, ammo, and powerups in the main room that you missed.
I'm surprised you lived through all that without those.

I've added a few "hints" to that room to hopefully help new players not miss the goodies.

Just finished playing it. Had a blast with it! Very enjoyable mapset, and I honestly hope you'll make more of them. Layouts were fun, monster placement was good, secrets were fun and progression was fine in general.

The only comments I can think of to make even better maps are:
-- There were a few too many 64 unit wide mazes. Perfectly fine to have some, but it felt like they popped up too regularly.
-- Bit too much nukage? Didn't always feel appropriate (e.g., I think E1M7 blue key room).
-- The computer rooms with flashing lights were a bit too big and frequent. Could probably scale it down a bit and add a different type of room in instead.

Anyway, I'd love to see you have a go at E2 and E3!

Thanks Adam!

I'm not very familiar with E2/E3... never gave them much playtime when growing up I guess.
But I know E4 has some awesome levels!

I'll take it into consideration ;)

Had a lot of fun with this one Dolman, I get Adam's complaint about the nukage but it kind of makes it unique in its own respects. Similar to Innocence though I feel the final room with the barons is a bit of a letdown.

I think back to petersen's or dtwid's baron encounter and the environment is just far more interesting than a small square room with a few torches.

It's possible to get stuck in the small lifts with monsters:

http://i.imgur.com/PtDisQo.png

When I played E1M8 in PrBoom+ with the default complevel, I witnessed the most curious thing: after the teleporter was revealed, the green torches moved towards it and teleported out. I thought it was a deliberate trick until I saw that you tested the wad in GZDoom, and it doesn't work there (it also doesn't work with Ultimate Doom compatibility). Probably some sort of weird Boom physics oddity. Nevertheless, it looked really cool, and I certainly didn't expect that.

By the way, testing this oddity allowed me to notice that the chaingun trick at the beginning of the level doesn't work in Ultimate Doom compatibility mode. The chaingun will be revealed even if you only press the main switch that lowers the walls.

Oh, and I just noticed that the teleporter lines are W1. Which means that the "possessed" torches will deactivate 4 of them and partially break the teleporter. The player won't get stuck, because there are 8 lines overall, so it's a minor issue, but it won't hurt to change the actions to WR.

Da Werecat said:

It's possible to get stuck in the small lifts with monsters:

http://i.imgur.com/PtDisQo.png

When I played E1M8 in PrBoom+ with the default complevel, I witnessed the most curious thing: after the teleporter was revealed, the green torches moved towards it and teleported out. I thought it was a deliberate trick until I saw that you tested the wad in GZDoom, and it doesn't work there (it also doesn't work with Ultimate Doom compatibility). Probably some sort of weird Boom physics oddity. Nevertheless, it looked really cool, and I certainly didn't expect that.

By the way, testing this oddity allowed me to notice that the chaingun trick at the beginning of the level doesn't work in Ultimate Doom compatibility mode. The chaingun will be revealed even if you only press the main switch that lowers the walls.

Oh, and I just noticed that the teleporter lines are W1. Which means that the "possessed" torches will deactivate 4 of them and partially break the teleporter. The player won't get stuck, because there are 8 lines overall, so it's a minor issue, but it won't hurt to change the actions to WR.

What a weird problem :)

Thanks for playing my wad, and for the error tips!