Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
molten_

Prototype -- 4 level E4 replacement for Boom! (-complevel 9) Now on idgames!

Episode 4 is my favorite episode of Ultimate Doom, so I decided to start making my own mapset for it. I originally planned to make all 9 maps but unfortunately work got in the way and it looks like I won't have much free time for quite a while, so I'm going to call this finished before I run out of steam.

Download (v2)

Download (v2)

Who knows, I may return to this someday.

Awesome maps! Here are my FDAs for all 4 of them. I've got stuck in E4M3, the map should be fixed to prevent that from happening. But anyway: I really liked the mapset. The levels manage to give a menacing impression and encourage cheerful and very fun action at the same time. They have superb soundtrack, good atmosphere, and they look very stylish in a beautiful yet vanilla-esque way, varied enough to be interesting and unified enough to be appealing. You did great things with the limited D1 bestiary and vanilla textures only, it makes me believe again that their potential is limit-less. Again, I've enjoyed these maps a lot. Good job, and thanks for the experience!

Oh man, I can't believe I missed that issue in E4M3. I'll try to get that fixed shortly.

Anyway thanks for the demos scifista, they're always fun to watch and useful for improving :) I'm glad you enjoyed the maps.

Ok, new version has been uploaded.

Fixes:
-Improved the secret in e4m3 so that it's (hopefully) impossible to get stuck
-Added a missing graphic lump for the intermission screen

I'm gonna let this sit a week in case any major bugs are found then upload to idgames. Cheers!

Played e4m1. I thought the music choice was strange, deifinitely not what I'm used to hearing in somewhat depressing-looking E4 style levels. Then I saw all these crates and realized that maybe you weren't going for serious dark atmosphere here, which is fine.

This corpse didn't feel right to me: you walk right through it, that's not good. I would hang it higher.

I played through the levels and they do have that E4 feeling and difficulty level to it, E4M3 gave me the most trouble out of the 4 maps included.

thanks for playing! yea I imagine e4m3 will give people the most trouble. I'm a huge fan of platforming in doom (yes really) and e4m2 from ultimate doom is my favorite level ever, so that map was kinda a throwback to that style.

I think I need to play this over the weekend. Need a short "minisode" to break up the megawads I'm working on, and this looks like it'll hit the spot.

So I just played through this on UV (GZDoom/continuous/keyboard-only) and it was a blast! Managed 100% everything except for the final map. The only part that gave me any real trouble was the first third or so of E4M1, mostly just on account of me not finding the shotgun until I had already cleared everything else out. Other than that, I don't think I died, though I was given a run for my money on numerous occasions (holy cacoswarms, Batman!) E4M4 was just a thrill; I haven't had that much fun running for my life in a panic for a while. :) Thanks for the maps!

molten_ said:

thanks for playing! yea I imagine e4m3 will give people the most trouble. I'm a huge fan of platforming in doom (yes really) and e4m2 from ultimate doom is my favorite level ever, so that map was kinda a throwback to that style.

My recording on video had me fall off a few times throughout the video as I progressed, the video will eventually be uploaded to my channel.