Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Thousands of people storm prison and kill accused rapist

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/03/06/accused-rapist-dragged-from-prison-and-killed-by-indian-mob/21150533/?icid=maing-grid7

In what is a brief article, a New Dehli prison was invaded by a mob of thousands of people to kill just one man who was only suspected of rape. Suspected, not guilty. While I'm all for thousands killing a rapist... he hasn't had a trial yet. What if it turned out to be his twin brother or someone else?

The article is pretty brief where I didn't get a sense of why the mob felt he was guilty enough to die, just that he did die. In a way its amazing that so many people in India can work together like this to settle what they think is a problem.

Perhaps the real problem is temporary zombie-ism.

How do thousands of people just storm a prison anyway? Were they let in? Did they climb over the walls?

One "protester" was killed in the process. According to the video the accused was dragged for miles and pelted with stones. Wow dragging a person for miles. Walking for miles while carrying a body. You can walk a mile in 20 minutes. So this went on for like an hour them dragging a man?

So there's a twist here too. He's a migrant worker from Bangladesh. Migrant workers have some sort of anger toward them for taking land and jobs. I had to look up Bangladesh, because I thought it was a city in India. No its the smaller country directly east of India.

With any luck the mob will hop on a boat and pay Michigan a visit: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/06/stevie-foehl-michael-emory-baby-rape_n_6815722.html

I wouldn't be surprised if both the rape charge and killing are racially motivated.

geo said:

I had to look up Bangladesh, because I thought it was a city in India. No its the smaller country directly east of India.

Previously known as East Pakistan.

GreyGhost said:

I wouldn't be surprised if both the rape charge and killing are racially motivated.

Previously known as East Pakistan.

The newscaster was implying that way. Just imagine thousands of blacks killing a white rapist. Now imagine if both races were the same color like in this case.

I'd call that an all-around positive development if it happened that the suspicion of rape was the only reason for the lynching -- and not that compounded with racial, religious, or nationalist issue.

Lynching is bad of course and the guy had not been actually tried; but in India the public sentiment wrt. rape is to cheer for the rapists and throw figurative and literal vitriol at the victims.

Since the guy they lynched is from Bangladesh, it seems more likely to me that they don't really care about the rape victim at all, they're just using a convenient pretext to kill a foreigner. And similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy was innocent and wrongfully accused because of his origin.

Gez said:

And similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy was innocent and wrongfully accused because of his origin.

Eh. Probably guilty, but lynched because he was a Muslim immigrant. Protests following "homemade" rape cases usually look like treehugging librul feminist pickets rather than pitchforks&torches mobs.

Those dirty, dumb brown-skinned racists, either they cheer rapists or lynch innocents. Good thing us white folks know better, thanks to third-hand knowledge of the case and people involved.

do you people even read your posts
i can't even

Phml said:

you people

Oh no you did not go there! Do you have no shame?

dew said:

Oh no you did not go there! Do you have no shame?

Oh no he didn't just have the nerve to call us you people. We're the Doomunity. We should be united like those thousands of people and not like #GamerGate.

hex11 said:

What would Gandhi do?

He had the pipe dream that Muslims and anyone else Hindus could co-exist, so nothing.

hex11 said:

What would Gandhi do?

what would Hitler do?

Phml said:

do you people even read your posts

Yep. Before posting, to keep spelling errors to a minimum.

hex11 said:

What would Gandhi do?

Hunger strike?

That was so much more hilarious than my unused reply for this thread: lol Gandhi would drop a nuke on your cities in Civilization 3.

I'm amazed this hasn't been post helled yet like my Catvasion thread.

While I'm all for thousands killing a rapist...

I'm sorry, but even if he was guilty, I don't think he deserved death for raping someone. He might have needed life in the slammer, but not to die. Most people don't deserve death regardless of how much bad they've done in the world, because at the end of the day, they are human beings just like the rest of us and we need to respect that, regardless of how much we may hate them. This is the kind of mentality that causes police brutality to be a such a rampant problem in the world.

I don't think anyone deserves capital punishment unless A. they've gone out of their way to kill so many people (note that I said many, and not a single person or few.), cannot be stopped through other means, are basically broken beyond repair, and they are so dangerous to the point where even putting them in prison would endanger other people in that prison. or B. they are an awful dictator of a country who has commited genocide or worse (like Hitler or Stalin). Even then, it should be carried out with grace, and not be barbaric like beheading or by firing squads.

Otherwise, criminals generally deserve to go to prison for what they do, and should deserve the former if they commit a bad crime, but not such an abysmal crime that warrants capital punishment.

In any case though, I agree that it's likely that this murder wasn't even done out of vengence for the rape victim.