Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

License to Ilya (On IDgames)

Voltcom9 said:

When exactly is the deadline for this project?

Next month deadline for map entry, I don't believe they have to be 100% finished.

I've seen some

Spoiler

penis shaped

layouts before, but this one seems to have both
Spoiler

a penis and a placenta.

Dobu, that map looks amazing. I downloaded it and played through it on -nomonsters, just for the visuals.

One of the most visually interesting maps I have ever seen. Some of the areas were super epic and really interesting.

@Dobu: Wow this was certainly one of the most interesting maps i've played so far this year. Wasn't able to beat it without saves due to the high trial and error ratio but nonetheless this was a absolutely enjoyable journey.
Some fantastic,highly twisted visuals i'm especially diggin those upper/mid/lower texture collages, awesomeness everywhere.
Gameplay is also a very interesting aspect mainly focussing on RL/SG though sometimes it was quite tricky to not rocket yourself to death in some of the tighter areas.
I think my favorite encounter was actually the YK fight, smart and well crafted SM usage here.
Alltogether truly fantastic, hope this map won't end up as pearls before the swine, would be a shame.

Thanks; I agree that this is probably my best map so far. I specifically set out to make it have a strong dynamic between the SG and RL, and in order to make sure the RL wouldn't dominated there had to be a lot of chances to blow yourself up. Also real glad you enjoyed the YK battle as that's the only fight in the map I felt iffy on—it can go really well with the caco infighting, or end up very poorly as the MM cuts through the 200/200 like butter.

@dobu
Your map's layout is fantastic, but sadly, the gameplay isn't. It was really tight and forced. And all these cybers really sucked in their positions and I had no fun killing them, I had to shotgunnyfie one of them so he won't blast me on the lift.
I ended up killing only 1/3 of the monsters before giving up and starting to play without any monsters, and it was a super-varied map, just like the original. Had some interesting mechanics(those steps that sink once you go up them) and all this detailing and putting lots of pathes in the map for a non-linear experience, so yep, this map would be perfect if it had good gameplay that isn't too tight. Make the map less monster heavy, don't use so many cybers.

This machine is annoying, make it silent.

How am I supposed to know that I'm supposed to step on this? Put an item on it.

I pushed a baron face, it lowered 2 platform with troops above 'em, one of the playforms lowers for a HOM.

When the marble blocks lower, it looks like garbage.

I played through CdPg. Others have already said, it's indeed superb, so instead of an indepth review, I have a relatively silly question:

- What does "TSEAIGAMAITICIMA" stand for? :D

[EDIT]Never mind, it's a Brony quote spelled backwards.[/EDIT]

joe-ilya said:

When the marble blocks lower, it looks like garbage.

Lol, isn't it enough to just say he forgot to texture the backsides?

Cell said:

I played through CdPg. Others have already said, it's indeed superb, so instead of an indepth review, I have a relatively silly question:

- What does "TSEAIGAMAITICIMA" stand for? :D

To speak earnestly about Ilya's grandest attributes, mapping advisors indicate that idiosyncrasies come in many arrangements.

It's pretty tight but I think it works.

Also, the HOMs are valid things to bring up, but the machinery and the "un-itemed" step are just you nitpicking :P

esselfortium said:

To speak earnestly about Ilya's grandest attributes, mapping advisors indicate that idiosyncrasies come in many arrangements.

Hm. Even this could do the trick despite seconds later I found out that I (accidentally? or just on a wrong sense?) put the letters in reverse order.

MLP. MLP references everywhere. o.O

^ Just trying to pay my respects to the author.

joe-ilya said:

stuff

Thanks for trying to play through it joe. I fixed the lift bug and put an armor bonus on the platform. The dance party crushers were supposed to be loud in order to work as a beat, but I removed the backup ones so that it's not nearly as noisy (I still like there being some beat). And the MARB structures that lower are purposely left untextured to fool the player into thinking they're not hollow when you're up on the ledge. It's just a one-time thing that lowers and the player is usually busy with the cyber while that's going on, so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Regarding the difficulty, I doubt I'm going change it. I spent a while tightly tuning it, and it's in line with the rest of my other levels in terms of harshness. The community project is ragtag enough that I don't think many people would mind a difficult map popping up (it'd probably be best to place it at the end of the set just in case). It's ultimately your call whether or not you'd like to keep it in the set; as I've said about my stuff before, the other difficulties should suffice if people find UV too annoying/punishing.

fucking awesome map dobu. most fun I've had with doom in awhile :D

here's a fda (with saves, and yup, lots of deaths): https://www.mediafire.com/?222bynvzx4nn0b1

love the super tight gameplay, the beginning few areas are super exacting, very fun, very much my style. Everything seems balanced really well for UV. re cyb complaints: I think it's perfectly obvious given the allotted ammo and cyb positioning that they're not meant to be killed, so no nitpicks from me. In fact I'd say the cybs were used exceptionally well. I loved that you got to revisit one of the earlier ones and finish him off with some baron infighting and SSG. Perched cybs are also an awesome way to maintain a constant directional threat. My only question is: is the map actually maxable? I missed a lot of secrets but from wandering about it definitely didn't seem like there was enough ammo if you wanted to go back and kill previous enemies. (not that every map has to be maxable, it's more of a curiosity question)

the only area that felt like it dragged for me was after the YK door. it was kind of annoyingly cramped, felt like it really punished any attempt to play risky. Also that dark fleshy area was kinda eh, but at least it was pretty short.

ending area was fantastique. felt like something out of a D-D map, can't get much higher of a compliment from me :D

Also I'm glad you stuck with the humerously garish visuals throughout. my first thoughts about how this project would materialize were not positive: I would've wagered "tune up" would be interpreted as "modernize visuals". so I'm glad to see it retain some ilya-wackiness.

Great to hear, thanks! I'll have to watch the FDA later. And yeah it's maxable, though knowing a few things, like picking up the berserk and using the BFG on the MM, can certainly provide plenty more breathing room. I'll tone down the area past the YK door—it was the last "room" I designed so I didn't playtest it all that much. And kudos on noticing how uninteresting the blinking flesh area was—I really struggled with designing it and at least it shows :P

Well I re-did Nova Map21 (Beta Base)
Unfortunately I didn't check the OP until halfway through making this. But I thought I would shove this map here anyway :P

original area

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cl05rfkd32l7gbo/Finalbas.wad

It is called "Final release base"

I kind of feel guilty for eliminating the wacky visuals but heh I just like shitting metal 2 everywhere, maybe I could address this later. The layout is pretty much identical to the original though there is more inter-connectivity and the areas beyond the yellow key has an element of non-linearity to it now.

Good to see some progress since that picture in the picture thread.

@dobu The sky doesn't tile.

Neato, I was hoping you'd do MAP21. Good stuff! There's definitely a lot more cannonball here than joe-ilya, not that I mind. I think there needs to be a smidge more health in the RL quadrant beyond the YK as running through the lava & the PE battle there saw me at 1% for a while. Also the final battle is pretty brutal; I don't mind hard fights but it felt like the best tactic was to run back into the base, fight the archvile there, and then hopefully slip past the cyb and revs to hit the switch and exit the level... I think the open windows are the biggest culprit since no matter what you're trying to do, a rev rocket will veer its way into you outside. Perhaps providing a little more cover or a soulsphere on the ground would help. I had the BFG so it wasn't too bad, but I can't imagine trying to survive that encounter without it. Oh and lastly, I think you need to separate the two AVs guarding the YK, as it's waaay too easy to just camp the top right corner and get them stuck in the box chokepoint... perhaps warping in the second over near the green armor after you grab the YK would be more entertaining. Other than those, it was a good ol' romp through hell—now the people that complained about joe's maps in NOVA have a semi-official replacement for them :P

joe-ilya said:

dobu The sky doesn't tile.

Yeah, it'd be better to use the sky cannonball has.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxtzfbc3v862gxe/ihateyou.wad?dl=0

First version of my map which I'm calling "I Hate You" for obvious reasons (if you don't know, check out the original). It has changed a lot from the original, and I hope this is okay with the project rules. I am looking for feedback mainly in the following areas:

• The square arena area at the north end of the map.
  • The 'library' area in the east.
  • The final mountain ascent.
Of course, any feedback is welcome! This is the biggest map I've ever created, and I hope that it will be an enjoyable experience at the end. I'm still not fantastic with gameplay, so any improvements suggested will be considered.

Cannonball's map was messy, monsters all over the place and not enough health, heck, I even think a megasphere would fit more.

About surreily's map, it wasn't messy, there was enough of everything to get you moving. The library area is cool, twin AVs would be more effective there.

Joey, what did you find 'messy' about cannonball's map, and why wasn't my map 'messy'? I played cannonball's map and, although it was a bit too difficult for my tastes, it had an awesome TNT feel to it. It felt fine to me, and is not what I'd call messy. Monsters were placed in locations such that they provided a great challenge (although more ammo would have been nice, I don't like punching mancubi).

Would anyone be interested in doing a bit of a tune up for a joe ilya map that was submitted for the Revilution project.

I think the layout and design could be really interesting, but the map needs some tuning to make it closer to a classic-yet-modernized vanilla-tnt styled map.

Any takers

cheers guys, and thanks joe for the original map. :)

@cannonball, I actually like the look of ur map. Coolness.