Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

Another mastermind concept

Probably too cluttered to make a good monster sprite, but I thought it was a funny idea.

that is really well done!!! not sure if it would make a good boss thoug, maybe if the dude with the chaingun was in a trhone or something, either way really cool

Nice concept and it bears a familial relationship to the arach replacement (especially raymoohawks improvement of the sprite). I agree that it is a bit busy and that the chaingunner part doesn't stand out enough - in fact, I hadn't really noticed him until raymoohawk pointed him out. I do like the concept though and with tweaking it could definitely work IMO.

Sodaholic said:

It's really cool in concept, but too cluttered to work in practice.

I agree. But if the amount of detail was reduced twice (twice less legs, twice less teeth, twice less people, and all of them made bigger), maybe it would work!

As a monster, Interesting. It would work in an individual PWAD.
The SpiderDemon is a huge sprite and there is room for all that detail.
The torsos need to stay the size of men.
Making them bigger would distort the appearance of the relative size.
For the whole to appear huge, such parts must appear small.

But as a generic Spider Demon replacement, it lacks indications of being a "Master Mind" of the demon invasion.

It also appears that the chaingun is going to fire from the wrong point on the sprite (too high).

If it was a walking platform of alien leaders (A General and staff) it might solve some issues. Make them aliens and give one of them some
General-like decorations.
Then you could mount a chaingun lower, with a private firing it (like it was a warship).

What about replacing the dudes with a pulsating jellyfish brain type thing? Maybe even have faintly glowing faces flying around with horrified expressions, like some kinda slave hivemind intelligence of tortured souls.

If anyone's seen that episode of Super Jail! where the scientist creates a flesh monster from the cafeteria's "mystery meat", that's kinda what I had pictured (only faces though).

I like the corpse that's hanging off the side. A bit cluttered, but I'd say it's workable with some, uh, work. It gives off a good vibe, though.

What happened to that spiderboss replacement that was designed like a litter carried by minions? Don't remember if it was posted here or another site. Or maybe I just dreamed it...

hex11 said:

What happened to that spiderboss replacement that was designed like a litter carried by minions? Don't remember if it was posted here or another site. Or maybe I just dreamed it...

i had started it, but now that wesley fredrick and others have shown interest in creating a new boss from scratch i wont be finishing it (at least not for freedoom i may still finish it as a standalone monster)

This looks great. Although I think it would look better if the one holding the minigun was larger and more alien-like. Imo this is the best mastermind so far, although I'm also looking forward to Wesley's redesign.

Strangely enough this reminds me of a similar conundrum the artist on The Binding of Isaac had: one of the bosses was meant to be an animate stack of corpses, but the sprite was too cluttered and distracting and to compensate they went with guts instead of corpses to keep the detail to a minimum. Maybe something like that? Here's the boss in question if anyone's interested.