Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dreamphaser

Monster tags and decorate in doombuilder.

Hi there.

i've got two questions or problems.

first issue: i cannot seem to create monster tags. i found a tutorial that shows exactly how to do it. but it's also showing a tab 'action' next to properties when editing monsters but that tab doesn't show up for me. i'm using doombuilder version 2.1.2.1553.

so i can't make scripts to work when monsters die.

second issue: i have followed many steps to have custom monsters in my wads, and everything is going well, except that i cant pick my custom monsters from any list. the decorate doesnt show up in the list. i can however place the monsters using their typenumber. so this is not a real problem, rather a convenience if it would be fixed.

Dreamphaser said:

first issue: i cannot seem to create monster tags. i found a tutorial that shows exactly how to do it. but it's also showing a tab 'action' next to properties when editing monsters but that tab doesn't show up for me. i'm using doombuilder version 2.1.2.1553.

Use "ZDoom : UDMF" map format, not "Doom in Doom format" or anything like that - monster tags and scripts are advanced ZDoom-specific features, not present in standard formats.

second issue: i have followed many steps to have custom monsters in my wads, and everything is going well, except that i cant pick my custom monsters from any list. the decorate doesnt show up in the list. i can however place the monsters using their typenumber. so this is not a real problem, rather a convenience if it would be fixed.

They should be in thing category "Decorate" at the very bottom of the thing list. But you can override this by putting this line somewhere into their DECORATE code:

//$Category Monsters
This will put them in category Monsters in DoomBuilder. Any category name will work, of course, even a random new one that you make up.

thank u so much. i've never experimented with the formats.
i just picked doom 2 because thats all i ever knew.

yay :) this opens up a world of possibilities once again.

i noticed i'd have to specify the format before starting a map.
would it give any problems when i'd copy paste a complete map
with sectors and things from lets say the doom2 format into
an empty map in the Zdoom UDMF format ?

The geometry should be OK, but you will probably need to reassign all linedef actions.

Dreamphaser said:

i noticed i'd have to specify the format before starting a map.
would it give any problems when i'd copy paste a complete map
with sectors and things from lets say the doom2 format into
an empty map in the Zdoom UDMF format ?

How to convert map formats

Since then, though, GZDoom Builder allows bi-directional conversion

Doom in Hexen => UDMF
UDMF => Doom in Hexen