Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LarBob

Another "first wad"

Hi, I know you guys probably hate seeing noobs' wads all of the time. Whatever. You can handle one more, right? This is my first wad and it replaces MAP01 of Doom 2. The only reason I'm posting is to see if I'm doing everything right. If you want screenshots, I can post some. It should run on vanilla doom 2, but I tested it on Zandronum.

There is 1 secret. You can try to find it if you want, shouldn't be too hard. Thank you so much for trying my first wad :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uflzbcne6lrs9xf/anoobmap.zip?dl=0
virustotal: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/464d2c9b263b4a71f5d57cc949a21a3aa9ec78d64744012dd336889a00cf54ad/analysis/1425828136/

Hello! If you want compatibility with vanilla and classic ports, never use S1\SR actions with a zero tag. Vanilla interprets that as "apply the action to all sectors that don't have a tag". So, as you can imagine, stuff gets crazy when the whole level begins to act as a door. Apart from that the level seems fine, keep going.

Virustotal link made me laugh. If you managed to screw up my computer via .wad somehow that would be truly impressive.
But anyway, onto THE wad. It's 99% irredeemable trash. You're welcomed by some classic STARTAN sectors with a Commander Keen hanging from the ceiling in front of you. In fact you will meet 14 monsters in this map and six of them are Keens. The first weapon you immediately get is a SSG. You kill Keen (or don't, there is no reason to do this), open the door which doortrak is 64px wide if I had to guess and shotgun Imp in a small STARTAN room except now it's less detailed because Keen was hanging from a ceiling light. Also, there's a pretty obvious secret room which contains chainsaw, plasmagun and some energy packs for the latter. Also you can't reopen this door so be sure not to stuck there although that area is as fun as the rest of the map. Next door reveals 5 Keens and another door. Behind that door you will a sharp turn leading to a room where a few chaingunners are positioned behind some small columns. Also there is a green armor there if you want that for some reason. You can run past them to the next door, open it and press a switch the ends THE level.
I really don't see a point why would someone post it there. It should be pretty obvious to the author that it's gameplay value is, well, nonexistent and there is not much of technical skills to be rated.
Pros: it is not wow.wad
Cons: it is not wow.wad

Well, I'm going to take the map as "my first map ever" which it is. For that, it is OK. For enjoyable gameplay, you're at the beginning of a long way to achieve it right. Also, pay attention to compatibility and always test your maps with the lowest compatible port you claim it to be - and generally, allowing your maps to be compatible with vanilla / low ports means getting yourself a wider audience and possibly interest of demo recorders. That's all - keep up the good work.