Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kermode

Which Compet-n records will probably never be beaten?

I was sort of thinking of some of Wayne Gretzky's records that will probably never be beaten, like scoring 50 goals in 39 games & whatever. So I wondered out of the Compet-n records, which ones do people think are least likely to be broken?

Kind of risky to post something and be wrong after years :)
E3M6 secret exit UV Speed/Pacifist and NM Speed in 6 seconds
Evilution MAP22 UV Speed/Pacifist and NM Speed in 17 seconds
Plutonia MAP12 UV Speed in 6 seconds
For PWADs
MM2 MAP27 UV Speed/Pacifist and NM Speed in 24 seconds

Yeah, short UV-Speeds are the safest choice... Except what if the rules change and start differentiating between e.g. 6.87 and 6.81? Most such records will be in serious danger then. Now go and come up with something less obvious. :P

From memory: e3m8 Tyson is beautifully lucky, I can't imagine anyone having the patience to play the Doom roulette long enough to beat it.

Don't think that will change Memfis, but that's what CNDoom database is for :p CNDoom database has been open for about 2 years now, and there are barly any submittions

I don't think there are any max/tyson that won't be ever beaten because of it being too good, unless the map is kind of uv-speed style where you have to wait some lift for 4min (I'm not saying uv-max hr2 map09 is easy to optimize :D). But how about runs, that are human made, but cannot be outrun even by TAS? I know E3M6 secret exit in 6s is really strong.

Optimal UV-Speeds are too easy in such a poll, you gotta bring out the max-like categories!

lv11-205 will always be my sweetheart. Even if someone manages to beat its time, there's no way anyone can be more graceful than vile throughout what can only be described as a total luckfest.

The other demo that melts my icy heart is e1m7-219. Chewy is almost certainly the best Doom player of all times (remember me if oce has me assassinated) and this one is a demo in which he showed the singleplayer plebs what monstrous feats he's capable of.

Roughly around 99% of them won't be beaten, because people rarely record for them. Well, at least in c-n rules anyway.

well what about with -complevel 2 then? & maybe not necessarily Compet-n wads. I was just thinking of the Compet-n maps because they're not too obsure & they've been played enough to have a record progression.

How about: Which UV-Max/Speed demos (popular categories) from megawads (EDIT: for single maps, at least, let's say, five different demos) where there are already at least 100 existing demos (to filter out obscure/unpopular ones) and where Compet-N rules need not apply, will probably never be broken?

This gave me an idea. How about writing a little script and applying it to the DSDA? There should probably be entries somewhere in the backend stating when each demo was uploaded, and perhaps when they were superseded by a better time? The script then generates a list of demos where the above applies, sorting on date where the record was last broken, or never (from the latter downwards), and is automatically re-applied every day/week and posted online somewhere. This will have the side effect of providing a quick point of reference and may even inspire speed runners to try and crack some of those long-lasting nuts.