Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

Things to do in Doom when you're bored

One thing I like to do in Doom when I'm bored of playing the game as it's intended is this: I create a warzone. I should also mention I play exclusively with ZDoom, just so you know. I have Notarget bound to O and Freeze bound to P. So if, for example, I'm playing map 2 of Slaughterfest 2011 and I want to create a warzone, I simply hit O for Notarget, P to freeze the game, and then go to a spot in the map where there's enough room for spawned enemies and then I bring down the console and type, say, summon Cyberdemon. Hit up and Enter (hitting up in the console shows the last thing you typed in) a few times. I then put in the following cheats in the console if I haven't already: noclip, god, give weapons, fly, and sometimes a turbo cheat, like turbo 125 for example. Then I hit P to unfreeze the game and O to turn off Notarget. I like to hide inside the level's geometry (like pillars or walls) where I can view the action and not get assaulted. Once everyone gets riled up and begins attacking each other I'll pop in and out of the map to ramp up the bloodshed. It's always great fun to see hordes of demons slaughtering each other. If I feel like prolonging the mayhem I freeze the game and bring down the console and type summon archvile and hit up and Enter over and over until I'm sure there's an army of archviles. Then I unfreeze and turn off Notarget just long enough for the Archies to notice my presence, then immediately hit P. Then I go back to my hiding spot and unfreeze and watch the archies do their thing. When I feel like enough enemies have resurrected I'll pop in and out of my hiding spot to rile the gang up again :)
I know it sounds silly but it's actually entertaining. I've seen pretty titanic struggles where it was Cybers vs Mancubi, Hellknights vs Revenants, Arachnotrons vs Cacodemons and Pain Elementals.
Try it some time :)

I'll warp to a map, say Map 10 of Plutonia and go to the console and kill all monsters, than spawn a bunch of Cyberdemons and play hide and seek so to speak. It's quite exhilarating!

I'm more likely to play around with console commands in Doom 3/Quake 4 or Jedi Academy rather than any of the original Doom's whilst playing them if I was bored

Watch 2 Lost Souls do battle and place bets on which one will win. Also supply running commentary.

Instigate a large scale monster infighting even at the cost of dying yourself, and then watch the monsters infight as you lie dead on the ground.

Start killing low-tier enemies with high-tier weapons.

Try to kill tough and low-pain-chance monsters, or a horde of ranged-attack monsters, using only the chainsaw.

Warp a random map from a random wad, try to run and gun through it without caution, die, ragequit, repeat with another map.

Jump, jump, jump, jump and jump all the way through a map.

Intentionally try to trigger buggy behaviour, such as sliding corpses, breaking multi-sector lifts (stopping movement of one of the sectors by your head hitting the edge of a low ceiling), or jumping/crouching into inaccessible places in wads not designed for jumping/crouching.

Cheat around, specially using IDKFA, IDCLIP, IDDT and "resurrect" console command in ZDoom.

Obsidian said:

Watch 2 Lost Souls do battle and place bets on which one will win.

I do this often! :)

I'll set infinite ammo in the options menu and then proceed to BFG the living shit out of everything I see. Watching rooms of zombiemen gib and explode as their blood covers the walls is truly a beautiful sight to behold.

In Zandro, summon springpadzones in huge areas, like in Gotcha!, then bind a key to summon enemies/items/etc and make lots of cool patterns of bouncing objects. When I'm done, I give myself the spreadrune and fire grenades everywhere to clean up the mess. It's really fun to do from time to time!

You're just making doom more boring, except for doomkid.

When you're bored in doom, play hell revealed.

joe-ilya said:

You're just making doom more boring, except for doomkid.

When you're bored in doom, play hell revealed.

I don't think you're grasping the concept of this thread somehow.

Watch the Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind duke it out in MAP20.

One thing I used to do since my childhood to get rid of boredom was warping to Doom 2 MAP30, putting IDDQD + IDFA + IDCLIP cheats on, running onto the Icon of Sin's pedestal with radsuits and megasphere, watch hundreds of monsters spawning in (I was incredibly patient back then) and kill them randomly or whenever they overpopulated. I was also trying to dodge their projectiles while standing on the pedestal, of course without a risk, as I was invincible with IDDQD. This could entertain me for an entire hour.

Spoiler

On a side note (off-topic, but I've just remembered this), I didn't know that Archvile could resurrect monsters back then (I only knew that he could incinerate me unless I'd hidden behind a wall). I was shocked when a dead Cacodemon, lying on the edge of my pedestal, seemingly randomly resurrected itself and attacked me. I considered it a glitch, but the experience clearly stayed in my memory. Many years later, I realized that an Archvile must have resurrected the Cacodemon from below - apparently he can resurrect monster corpses he walks into, regardless on their Z position.

scifista42 said:

apparently he can resurrect monster corpses he walks into, regardless on their Z position.

true - this becomes rather evident with 3d floors.

Back on topic - I used to spawn a friendly monster spawner and some monster targets at nuts.wad and watch things burn, specially if I was editing sprites, so I could see all angles in action. I also used this friendly spawn to test bosses there.

in Doom 2 i try to shoot monsters in a row whenever possible, two examples ;

- Doom 2, map 02 - underhalls ;

The zombiemen standing at the start while facing the wall in front of you will not see you or respond to you if go ahead to their right side
while facing the same wall, then you turn to the left and shoot the shotgun. this will mow down two of them in one shot, and at times depending how the third one wakes up he might get damaged (i think.)

- doom 3, map 03 - the gauntlet ;

The first elevator you need to use will lift you up towards a row of imps looking towards the other side of the weird structure with water inbewteen the stairs. If you walk to the right of the imps you can stand next to and somewhat behind the last imp on the right, they wil not see you. When you turn to the left so they form a crooked row you can shoot a bunch of them, or at least damage a major portion of that group.

people do odd things when bored but playing one of their favourite games.

Looper said:

I try to reach places you aren't supposed to go without cheats.

http://i.imgur.com/K1xpbxy.jpg

Did you mean it like: "I try to reach places you aren't supposed to go, and do it without cheats."?
Or: "I use cheats to reach places, places that you aren't supposed to go without cheats."?
I don't believe you got there without cheats.

If i'm bored of Playing DOOM I invite some people to play on a FFA Server or i Load a mod and play it, and if i'm bored of a mod i load Another one ...

I do this:

1) Set infinite ammo in the options
2) Go to map 30
3) Activate IDFA
4) Open console
5) Type Addbot and press enter
6) Type Removebot and press enter
7) Close console
8) See how many monsters I can kill without dying even once.

I usually like to play a wad (preferrably a slaughter-style one) with the following cheats and other stuff put into ZDoom's console:

iddqd
give all
sv_infiniteammo 1
sv_fastweapons 999
Even more preferrably I play on Nightmare for that little bit of extra fun.

"sv_fastweapons 2" and "sv_infiniteammo 1". If I'm on Skulltag or Zandronum, also "give spreadrune", then switch to rocket launcher, turn on IDDQD and start fanning obscene amounts of death everywhere.

Occasionally I'll put on a DECORATE mod I made to force monsters to die the instant they make eye contact with me, for a laugh. Doesn't usually last long, although it can be helpful for examining maps with fights I'm having issues with.

scifista42 said:

I don't believe you got there without cheats.

Without cheats of course, a bit indefinite sentence. It wouldn't be trying with cheats D:

summonfriend archvile
Rampage through the map, slowly building up your own personal army like some kind of a zombie apocalypse.

I haven't been bored in years, the world has too many interesting things to do or think about. If boredom overtook me and I was left only with Doom, though, I'd watch and record a hell of a lot more demos than I do now.