Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Things you cant wait for to become obsolete

I get the feeling that they have to plan out the DLC depending on the kind of content it is before the game has been developed and released so it really wouldn't matter if it was day one or not, they probably have to make the game compatible with the kinds of DLC in mind because they can't just add it to a game the same way as someone makes a mod for a game and easily loads it in.

DoomUK said:

-Cables
-Shaving
-Haircuts
-Day-one DLC

Man shaving! Great one. Haircuts too I guess. Day one DLC... just makes me think it'll be a subscription fee to not shave. I'm not sure if Day one DLC would be so common if it didn't take so much money, time and resources to develop even the simplest game.

SYS said:

The desire for modern inventions to achieve obsolescence in hopes of reverting back to an age that no longer exists.

If this was supposed to be a satirical post, I think you (and perhaps others) are misinterpreting what I meant with this thread. When I say things I can't wait to become obsolete, such as touch screens on mobile devices, I don't mean that I want to revert back to phones with buttons, but for someone to brainstorm something that is even more intuitive than touch screens. Touch screens are better for web browsing, but touch screen keyboards are garbage for writing text. So I'm hoping that in the future there will be phones that can do both with greater efficiency than ever before.

Captain Red said:

Really? I'd say it done more good then ill

Explain yourself!

It has done a lot of good and there are horror stories, especially the one about the dev "Can't Stop a Thief" that made $700,000 who got the money and just left the country with it. I like to think of Double Fine's success stories. Like how they spent thousands to make an ad for Hack n Slash.

No what I mean are other upstart companies that do what Kickstarter does, but without the 5% to them on top of 5% to the credit card companies.

Jaxxoon R said:

Internet that has an upload speed that is not even close to half of the download speed.

Man, my previous internet's download speed has never exceeded 500 kb/s, but upload speed could easily go over 5mb/s.

Prosthetic limbs. I hope that in the future, they could simply grow you a new arm, or leg.

Glasses. I hope they make lasik surgery even more effective and affordable, to the point that you would only see eye-glasses in the history books.

Dentures, hair pieces. You get the idea.

Basically, I hope we invest a lot more into genetic research. But before we do that, I'd like to see more ethical standards being put into place. No cloned meat; super-armies of apex killer automatons; etc. The extent of human cloning should be limited to helping to sustain the lives of existing people.

Kontra Kommando said:

Prosthetic limbs. I hope that in the future, they could simply grow you a new arm, or leg.

Glasses. I hope they make lasik surgery even more effective and affordable, to the point that you would only see eye-glasses in the history books.

Dentures, hair pieces. You get the idea.

Basically, I hope we invest a lot more into genetic research. But before we do that, I'd like to see more ethical standards being put into place. No cloned meat; super-armies of apex killer automatons; etc. The extent of human cloning should be limited to helping to sustain the lives of existing people.

One of my clients is testing that sort of thing. They already have it working I think with a finger. They've regrown an ear on a forearm to transplant and it made the news quite some time ago.

But yes hopefully medical science will improve everyone's life.

We forgot about disease.

Jeff Foxworthy has a joke about discount lasik eye surgery. I've had a few friends that did it and uh I've heard horror stories.

Political correctness, or even positive discrimination to fat people. Maybe some people are genuinely helpless against eating, but they're not good social examples either. Stop showing them as beautiful. They're ugly. That doesn't mean they're dumb or useless. But don't yell at me if I notice they're fat, unless of course you're their friends.

40oz said:

The internet: Pretty big blanket statement here, but many peoples real lives and internet lives are becoming one in the same. People are openly talking about imgur and reddit and tumblr, websites where pretty much everyone is a moderate leftist non-religious nothing that mostly agrees unanimously about views on the same topics. Also google searching is the worst. I hope something far more intuitive will replace the internet just so it can become this sort of post apocalyptic wasteland with a bunch of outdated information and be cool again. I don't know what will, but a man can dream.

Unlike Ling, I agree with you on this.

I have no desire for what I do on the internet to feature in my "real life". It's way too nerdy for anyone to care about anyway. Finding out that some other people are almost as nerdy as me in real life always comes as a bit of a shock, frankly.

It's also true that internet interaction is no substitute for real life interaction, so why pretend they are the same when they're not? And who the fuck wants to talk about reddit or imgur in real life? Seriously? If that's really happening, seek new friends.

And yes, the internet has become awash with those sorts of sheep people. I do think the internet has become worse in the last ten years because that many more people are using it, with all the vagaries of added advertising, crapware etc. that come with that too...

I wasn't saying that it is good and cool to talk about le internet memes all the time or anything like that. If you love model trains, you (hopefully) don't talk about model trains all the time with anybody you meet; you talk about it when it's appropriate, with other people who would have an interest in the topic. Nor was I trying to suggest that chatting with people on IRC is an acceptable replacement for doing things with real friends in real life, or whatever.

My point was more that treating "the internet" as a separate, partitioned-off universe is wrong, because fundamentally when you do stuff online you are communicating with other people, and communication with other people is one of the most basic, fundamental "IRL" things that there is. Even if you never meet a person face to face, or never want to meet them, they're still a person. The vast majority of terrible things people say or do to others online is because they aren't really thinking of the other person as being "real." And I think it's good and proper that steps are slowly being taken to try and generally remind people of that basic fact.

pritch said:

I do think the internet has become worse in the last ten years because that many more people are using it, with all the vagaries of added advertising, crapware etc. that come with that too...

The internet has become a piece of garbage during the last six to ten years, I absolutely feel the same. In reality nothing truly changed on a technical standpoint. More CPU power increased the resolution of images and videos and games you stream, and thats it. In 2009 ; movie streams, youtube, video games, browser games, flash, java, mp3 live radio streams, etc. just at a slightly lower image quality.

But from a people standpoint, it became a trash-pile example of everything wrong with many of the human race. And those politicians messing with everything, censoring, fighting it, or literraly waging war over it are making it all even worse than it ever was.

40oz said:

If this was supposed to be a satirical post

Yes.

Jaxxoon R said:

Internet that has an upload speed that is not even close to half of the download speed.

It sucks.

Asynchronous transfer rates are intentional to optimize downloading for the end user. Also a great way of making you pay more money for better upload speeds.

FireFish said:

The internet has become a piece of garbage during the last six to ten years, I absolutely feel the same. In reality nothing truly changed on a technical standpoint. More CPU power increased the resolution of images and videos and games you stream, and thats it. In 2009 ; movie streams, youtube, video games, browser games, flash, java, mp3 live radio streams, etc. just at a slightly lower image quality.

But from a people standpoint, it became a trash-pile example of everything wrong with many of the human race. And those politicians messing with everything, censoring, fighting it, or literraly waging war over it are making it all even worse than it ever was.

This is the same stupid whine that's been going around since the mid-90s. The net didn't get worse; it just got bigger. Parts got worse and other parts got better.

Pop, repetitive dubstep and autotune. And games where you just show off on how much stuff you own, not your skills.

Space travel when we can just use teleporters. Nothing bad will ever happen.

joe-ilya said:

Pop, repetitive dubstep and autotune. And games where you just show off on how much stuff you own, not your skills.

Second, Almost every thing on the radio consists of people being autotuned to block out their mediocre/bad voice or dubstep that sound like Chewbaca taking a shit. Most F2P games like TF2 are also filled with people trading and not actually playing the game.

If there wasn't dubstep, what would sell movies and video games?

Trading is what keeps people in game.

iTunes
gasoline/petroleum stations
ragecomics
tobacco smoking
methadone
political censorship of the internet
digital rights management
war on terror and war on drugs
also Kontra Kommando said it: prosthetic limbs

Smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol. I want to eat hashish.

Current school system. You go to a school for 3 years, study some one thing, half of it totally useless/uninteresting, and when you've completed it, maybe there's no jobs available of that thing, or got so bored of it, that you want to do something else anyway. Or go to school, after a month notice it's not what you wanted, have to wait a year before it's possible to get to another school.

Would make more sense to apply for courses that start more often than once a year, when completed, it's possible to apply for the next one about the same subject. And possibility to study multiple things. Like someone could want to study gardening, electronics and cooking. And if some of them became uninteresting, then just don't continue more about them, focus on the others.