Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maz Hades

Chex Quest/Freedoom

Chex Quest is kind of a freebie already, though, both original episodes were released for free as part of a trilogy with the third one built specifically for ZDoom. =S

I think it'd be better to make a Freedoom equivalent, even if it's not as different as what I drew, seeing as Chex is a copyrighted brand of cereal, and Chex Quest is therefore not really free as such.

Maz Hades said:

I think it'd be better to make a Freedoom equivalent, even if it's not as different as what I drew, seeing as Chex is a copyrighted brand of cereal, and Chex Quest is therefore not really free as such.

I doubt that matters unless you plan on charging people to play it, Chex certainly doesn't seem to care that one of the main developers they hired to make the first two made a third one.

MetroidJunkie said:

I doubt that matters unless you plan on charging people to play it, Chex certainly doesn't seem to care that one of the main developers they hired to make the first two made a third one.

And he released them for free, should be added. Chex Quest 3 actually got a Cacoward in 2008 and the page links to the previously-mentioned site for a download.

Seems kind of strange since the main character doesn't appear to be wearing anything cereal related. This is pretty good artwork though.

Avoozl said:

Seems kind of strange since the main character doesn't appear to be wearing anything cereal related. This is pretty good artwork though.

have you tried googling for "chex cereal?" it's obvious that Chexter is wearing a suit of armor resembling the form of said cereal.

http://www.chex.com/~/media/Images/Chex/Products/Product%20Detail/Generic_Chex_Rice_474.ashx?w=211&h=310&bc=ffffff

@Doomhuntress: I'm pretty sure that Avoozl referred to the picture in the OP, where the main character doesn't wear a cereal as opposed to the original Chex Warrior.

scifista42 said:

@Doomhuntress: I'm pretty sure that Avoozl referred to the picture in the OP, where the main character doesn't wear a cereal as opposed to the original Chex Warrior.

oh, my bad. i thought he was referring to the original brand. at any rate, my point still stands in that i think Chex Quest could do with a lot more custom content. is there even any custom maps made for Chex 3, let alone episodes?

Doomhuntress said:

is there even any custom maps made for Chex 3, let alone episodes?

I've briefly looked for custom Chex Quest maps on /idgames (searching for word "chex" in whole textfile) and found these:

Newmaps: A Chex Quest Mod (megawad)
Chex Quest Advanced (remastered Chex maps)
The Oozing Affair (episode replacement)
Sunder Quest (Sunder maps ported to Chex Quest 3)
Nitro's Chex Quest (episode replacement)
a level for Chex Quest (a single map)

scifista42 said:

I've briefly looked for custom Chex Quest maps on /idgames (searching for word "chex" in whole textfile) and found these:

Newmaps: A Chex Quest Mod (megawad)
Chex Quest Advanced (remastered Chex maps)
The Oozing Affair (episode replacement)
Sunder Quest (Sunder maps ported to Chex Quest 3)
Nitro's Chex Quest (episode replacement)
a level for Chex Quest (a single map)

thanks for looking it up. i tried playing Newmaps, but the first episode has me trapped in a tiny box with seemingly no way to get out of it... (i played in GZDoom, which should work as it has Doom Legacy features.) i'll take a look at the other ones at some point, though.

MetroidJunkie said:

Exactly my point, Chex isn't likely to care unless you try to make money off of it since, if anything, it's free advertisement for their cereal.

Heh, never thought of it like that :D

cereal quest.

cereal killer.

cereal adventure.

cereal the quest for milk. :)

so many things you can do without a brand name, and a big enough deviation in the designs and maps.

i'd still like to see more custom content for Chex Quest than some nameless rip-off of it. i mean, the concept art in this thread isn't bad, but i think that energy could be better spent designing new, original baddies than pirate knock-offs of existing ones that are already good enough. i tried out some of those Chex Quest episodes, but most of them seem to be designed for the original Chex Quest, and not the Zdoom version: the megawad has some serious issues, and Nitro's Chex Quest has a really rough start, which i am not sure is because of Chex Quest 3 or not.

The thing I always found strange about chex quest is that they kept the original doom episodes names stayed, What would a parent think of their toddler playing a game they got in a kids cereal box with names like "Thy flesh consumed" and "Knee deep in the Dead".

Doominator2 said:

The thing I always found strange about chex quest is that they kept the original doom episodes names stayed, What would a parent think of their toddler playing a game they got in a kids cereal box with names like "Thy flesh consumed" and "Knee deep in the Dead".

i'm pretty sure that'd only happen if you loaded the original Chex wad with Doom. the original CD-ROM coming with the cereal box probably has its unique executable for this. although i could be wrong on this.

Doomhuntress said:

i'm pretty sure that'd only happen if you loaded the original Chex wad with Doom. the original CD-ROM coming with the cereal box probably has its unique executable for this. although i could be wrong on this.

Yes there was an executable file.

For a copy cat one, you could always have the Chex suit be a Belgian Waffle suit, instead, since Belgian Waffles aren't exactly a brand. You wouldn't have to change it that much since a Chex piece already looks a lot like a waffle and it even keeps the breakfast theme.