Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archi

Descent: Underground

Aaaaaaaaaand here comes the cease and desist.

TheOrganGrinder said:

I'd be all over a new Descent game, but as a multiplayer arena shooter I suspect this is going to do nothing for me.

It did nothing for Wickland.

Game looks good. Its tough for a game to not look good in Unreal Engine 4. I wish them luck. $600,000 in Unreal 4 seems like not enough. They can probably get a grant from Epic now that they're doing grants.

The problem with Kickstarter is getting the money all up front before you do it instead of getting like a book or publishing deal where if you hit those deadlines THEN you get money to keep going. Usually the "advance."

geo said:
It did nothing for Wickland.

It does seem like there's a strain of "take a good idea and try to wrap it around a role-centric team arena shooter" circulating at the moment; people want to ride the train that the TF2 locomotive is pulling. Kudos to the developers if they can pull this off, though.

TheOrganGrinder said:

It does seem like there's a strain of "take a good idea and try to wrap it around a role-centric team arena shooter" circulating at the moment; people want to ride the train that the TF2 locomotive is pulling. Kudos to the developers if they can pull this off, though.

Class based games offer a lot of variety to play how a player wants to play. There are plenty of people that would never play TF2 if it wasn't for sniper, spy and pyro. I think for a multiplayer only shooter to be successful is letting people make a job of it. Trade systems as well as personalization.

Wickland had none of that, it didn't even have classes, making it much more of a skill game than rock paper scissors like a class based game. It needed customization to some degree to be cooler than everyone else.

Descent is easily one of my favorite games. But this looks more like a Descent-inspired game, which has already been tried (Miner Wars, I think was the name). The orchestral music didn't help either, as I associate Descent much more with industrial and electronic music.

MFG38 said:

Surely they must have the rights to the game? Otherwise...

This looks good, but not really descent-ish, and i had to quote yukib1t here:

yukib1t said:

But this looks more like a Descent-inspired game, which has already been tried (Miner Wars, I think was the name). The orchestral music didn't help either, as I associate Descent much more with industrial and electronic music.

Uhm, if over that Hans Zimmer clone orchestral theme from the trailer they will mix some EDM music like techno or at least dubstep or similar it could be better...

MFG38 said:

and why? Did someone have the Descent and Interplay rights?

Nevermind, i don't knew that Interplay Software is still around... Just the society and people who made it, the physical offices and projects they working was closed back in the 2004...

Thanks wikipedia!

Anyway, in their official site they're talking about this project: http://www.interplay.com/about/article.php?id=81

I first witnessed Descent 1 on a school PC back in the 90s, I eventually got it a few years ago and played it with the only source port available.

However I do not think I would enjoy a multiplayer only Descent-inspired game at all.

I wonder how many people watched long enough to see its a multiplayer only thing. I know I didn't.

geo said:

multiplayer only

Oh, then fuck them.

FUCK THEM!

That idea about first creating the multiplayer to get some funding and then creating some "HUGE" single-player doesn't convince me. That has never worked.

What you can do is to at least create a level editor so the community generates the content. But that will not happen, we will instead have a simplistic 6dof shooter for dumb multiplayer without any atmosphere.

pablogener said:

this is screaming out "occulus rift" like a mutha!! and I would love it either SP or MP

Oculus Rift support is in Unreal 4 by default.

As for the level editor, they can just release the resources and players can create their own levels in Unreal. That's what Epic is doing for Unreal Tournament.

I guess multi player is the quick way to make a game now. Why work on computer AI and tweaking things to perfection.