Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
19Wraith

Help with some tricks

Hello guys.

I want to improve a bit my skills and i wonder if you guys know to help me.

Look at this:

As you see on the image, there is a column with shorter height than the other parts of the map. What i want to avoid is that horrible HOM that appears above the column because both ceillings don't have the same height. But i also want to have different heights on differents parts of the wad without this ugly bug. Do you know any trick or something i can do so i can have different areas with different height with sky texture on both without that HOM?

Hope my message is clear

But... why do the ceilings have different heights? The height of this column should be adjusted by adjusting the height of the floor.

----------------------------------- ceil height/other buildings height

-------                    column floor height
----------------------------------  ground level = floor height of the rest

It's not a real HOM, it's a cut-off, a logical and natural thing that occurs above the sky right above a 1-sided linedef (or above an upper linedef texture if the back sector is non-sky) if there are higher objects behind it. Your possibilities are very limited:

1. Make the pillar (and similar middle-room structures) out of a sector with raised floor, not going up to the ceiling. Ceiling should not interrupt any solid objects behind.

2. If you're mapping for ZDoom, you can use 3D Floors or Portals.

Doom is not a "true" 3D game, so "empty space" will always block the view like that. You can still use different sky heights in classic port maps, but you have to be careful and not let the player access the areas where such glitches are visible. It is a very useful technique that can make your levels look a lot more interesting, check out Gusta's Plutonia 2 maps for some great examples.

Heretic takes extra consideration when it comes to skies, too. At least if you want to be compatible with its original sky rendering:

In Heretic, the sky tiles and this causes a tutti-frutti effect on the lower half. The height of a sector with a sky ceiling must be at least 56 units taller than the highest floor the player can stand on to prevent the tiled section from becoming visible to a grounded player.

Additional care must be taken if the Wings of Wrath are available in the map, since the player will be able to fly up to 56 units below the tallest sky. As an example, if a section of a map with the sky visible contains two sky sectors, one with its height set to 72 and a taller one set to 128, the player will easily be able to see the tutti-fruiti sky by looking into the shorter sector while flying in the taller sector.

From testing, 15 units is the maximum additional height one sector can have without the tiling becoming visible.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Vanilla_Doom_engine_mapping_reference#Tutti-frutti

If you're mapping only for ZDoom, I know this isn't an issue. No idea about other ports.

If i get errors like this i just create another sector on it's back then i texture it with the right texture ..

Do you think guys there is any possibility building an invisible wall in front of the lower sky ceiling textures or something aplied to that?

19Wraith said:

building an invisible wall in front of the lower sky ceiling textures

How would an invisible wall help? No. Simply put, you should make the ceiling heights equal - if you want organic outdoor architecture, achieve it through steep floor height differences that go above the player but not up to the ceiling. Only put a lower sky ceiling at the borders of the room, because there's no higher structure (actually nothing at all) to be seen behind them. Doom engine is this restrictive, but it's actually not hard to accustomize. A beautiful ourdoor architecture can be created anyway.