Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeroMaster010

Doom 2 in 20:32

Unbelievable, I was aiming for any time below 21:00, I had no idea I would get a time of 20:32,
which is a really big difference compared to say 20:59.

This is a 1:23 (83 second) improvement over 30uv2155 by Looper.

Big thanks to Looper for his previous 30uv runs, sometime after I got my 30uv2303 I figured that sub 22 minutes would be possible, it didn't take too long before he actually did it.

Since then I have spent several hours trying to find improvements that are viable in 30uv. Some things that I have included are a couple of rocket jumps to save a few seconds, a wallrun on map 24 because I am terrible at walking across the ledges, and as well as some other tricks.

There are a lot of smaller improvements as well, especially the places where I use my plasma ammo. I have included picking up the BFG9000 on map 10 instead of map 15.

Many hours have also been spent on practicing, but no matter how much time I seem to spend checking every outcome some things I didn't know about just seem to appear when I least expect it:

Just over an hour before this run I also had an amazing run, but on the platform of map 30 I managed to mess it completely up by firing a rocket a fraction of a second before I was supposed to. I only managed to hit 2 rockets, but I felt like I had time to get sub 21 anyways if I managed to hit the next rocket, which I did at a weird angle. However, it turns out that you might need 4 rockets if you hit 1 of the rockets at an angle, which in 100's of times of practicing I never really realized was possible.

I was really disappointed that I made an enormous mistake on the very last map to bring the final time to 21:09, so I figured I just had to go again, because I felt I was playing very well compared usual. Then I managed to get this run, unbelievable luck in some cases.

Very quick glide on map 22, barrels stayed up on map 23, lost souls didn't block and I managed to successfully wallrun across to exit area on map 24... and I was terrified when I saw the direction the arch vile had when I bumped into him on map 27. I try to avoid him since you can change his direction and make him run straight into the teleporter! Luckly he stopped to attack me instead and opened the door so I managed to exit with a decent time.

Of course I almost completely messed up for the second time in a row on map 30, I guess I should be happy it wasn't an arch vile spawn, but a pain elemental is still horrible. I was so surprised and happy that I managed to get a 1 cycle on the IoS after getting hit by the lost souls :)

So very close to 20 minutes, but to save another 33 seconds on top of a run like this in far beyond my capabilities.

Link to youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghCPOd_V-JE

30uv2032.zip

wtf are all those huge improvements :D Amazing run. Seems like we'll definitely be seeing 19:xx eventually if you guys keep at this pace.

The catacombs and living end improvements would stand on their but all of the other routing changes and tricks added make this a fantastic watch.

You're a freak!
That was so much fun to watch. That catacombs glide was sooo fast.
I hope this makes Looper start streaming again.

Congratulations dude, this'll be a tough one to beat!

Wow, congrats! That's my Friday evening's entertainment sorted (well, twenty minutes of it, at any rate).

GrumpyCat said:

OMFG!
Chasm wallrun?!
Map29 rocketjump?!
More than a minute under Looper's time?!
I doubt you are human =)

I'll add also a funny note at lvl30: you got a pain elemental spawning first... rofl
thinking about the other thread "whats most frustrating while demorecording" i'd now say failing a long attempt due to insane shitz happening near the ending :p
im glad you kept calm and made it tho.
ball passes to mr Paska I hope

Coming soon a new speedrun record by looper & then one from zeromaster & then one from looper again. :D I'm loving this competition between you guys to have the fastest time. It seems that in order to keep improving the speed things will have to get a bit more reckless & lucky. The map22 improvement was great.

The whole of the third episode was amazing. Well, even more amazing than the earlier amazing stuff.

There must be at least a dozen tricks in here that not so long ago would have been considered infeasible to implement in an unassisted movie run. The precision and hard work that has gone into making them a question of technique (rather than a luckfest) is most impressive.

Yeah, these parts where you position yourself while preparing for a hard trick are very cool. Do you, like, remember exact pixels on the screen that you need to see in order to be in the correct spot? o,o It looks almost like that.

And doom2 uv-speed looked amazing being 5 mins slower, how much, a year ago?

Memfis said:

Do you, like, remember exact pixels on the screen that you need to see in order to be in the correct spot?

That's how I prepared the only glide I've done in a demo!

Amazing run. Congratulations. Doom Done Quick was 21:16 so it's getting pretty fast :P You must have worked hard with this one because I can see your movement is a lot better than before. Very good times all around, especially map22 and map23.

At this moment I don't have time to fight with you, but maybe when my holidays begin, somewhere in the end of May. You will find me streaming then if it's going to happen, can't promise.

Again, congratulations.

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

@jongo, I wouldn't count on seeing a 19:xx ever :)

@Grazza, yes exactly, I've spent a lot of time on removing any luck factor from this run. One of my very recent discoveries was that the mancubus on map 23 is less likely to shoot if you keep him trying to move towards you. So I zigzag between the barrels kind off, at least it feels much less likely for him to attack. I had almost given up on map 29 rocket jump, even though I was able to find many positions\angles where it was possible, none really gave me a good enough time window for the rocket. Then all of the sudden I found a spot that seemed to give me more time and I was able to do it somewhat consistent, so I figured I just had to include it.

@Memfis, some tricks don't require more than just getting in the corner like map 13 key grab and getting the right angle. But yes, for most tricks I try to use the most optimal spot that will for example give me the best time window to hit the rocket. Map 29 rocket jump is very sensitive to position, I line up the right side of my screen right between 2 pixels that are in the middle of the stairs. Map 22 rocket jump on the other hand is not so I can do it a lot quicker.

@Looper, thanks again :)

@Linguica, hehe yes, I use a bit different method that makes it a bit hard to do :) It's possible to do a trigger skip there on the elevator to prevent cacodemons getting in the way later.

Nice zeromaster!! Can't wait to watch this one on the big screen in the living room!! Great work. I hope looper beats yours so you have incentive to record yet another killer demo. I'm loving the fierce competition between you two guys. You are real doom heros :)

degree23 said:

Absolutely insane. One of the most incredible speedruns I've ever seen of any game.

I agree.