Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Favorite MAP01

The first level is debatably the most important level of any wad. When John Romero designed the levels in Knee Deep in the Dead, he saved the first level to make last because by then he was "really good at making levels." It's a very important part of introducing your wad.

Out of your favorite wads, what MAP01 has best set the stage for the rest of the wad?

Is it okay to say that my favorite MAP01 is Staging Area from DOOM 64. It gives the player the introduction of what the game has to offer in regards to atmosphere and lighting effects.

I've always been fond of Entryway Pass from Deus Vult II. It's friggin stylish as hell, with the setting+dualies+shades, plus it has eight zillion barrels, which is great. It'll be a bit weird to me that DV2-Full will have a different MAP01. Maybe. :P

BTSX E1 and E2 have good MAP01s too, but I've got a non-insignificant amount of bias on that one, heh. xD

TNT map01 will always be my personal favorite. The combination of compact layout, great midi track and zerk gameplay wins it for me everytime I play it. A great way to start a megawad IMO.

UV-Max demo fans might know that I'm a big MAP01 enthusiast and it is often my first choice when recording on a megawad. My favorites include:

Alien Vendetta - very memorable, excellent mood and design.
Icarus - notable for its storytelling done by transforming the level.
Plutonia 2 - ingenious idea with the sign, strong layout overall.
Epic 2 - it has that starting view. The rest I could do without...
Marswar - hard to explain. I find it lovely, with a beautiful midi.
Scythe 2 - used to be my all-time favorite, now I don't feel the magic?

I don't have a "favourite", so I'm just gonna list some I really like:

-BTSX E1 MAP01
-Plutonia MAP01
-Valiant MAP01
-Lunatic MAP01
-Scythe 2 MAP01

I like Doom 64's staging Area, E2M1 and E4M1 are great, I also somewhat like TNT's MAP01.

The first level of zen dynamics, its short but it introduces the main features of the wad, such as alt fires, reloading and new monsters.

BTSX 1 and 2 (hopefully also 3 once it's out) and Stardate 20X6 get honorable mentions from me, but my absolute favorite would have to be Temple of the Lizard Men 2.

40oz said:

The first level is debatably the most important level of any wad. [...]

I can agree on the debatable part.

40oz said:

Out of your favorite wads, what MAP01 has best set the stage for the rest of the wad?

E2M1 of Aliens-TC.
First maps of Armadosia and Hellcore 2.0 deserve honorable mentions, too.

TVR!'s first level might not be a heap of fun but it certainly does a good job of showing you what to expect from the WAD.

From the IWADs my favourite is Evilution's.

I would be hesitating between TNT MAP01 , Alien Vendetta MAP01 and Hell Revealed 2 MAP01 even though this one made me ragequit more than once on UV haha.

Hum...on my actual mood I would say TNT MAP01 wins slightly over the two other ones for having a really specific and memorable everything. (maybe also my daughter imitating the doom guy punching while watching me playing it today does make me biased about this too).

IWAD: Evilution's MAP01 because it let's me practice berserk punching.
PWAD: Hell Ground MAP01

My favorite intro levels are the ones that set a strong sense of place and immediately assert what makes the wad unique. Here are the first four that come to mind for me.

Doom E1M1. It's simple and to the point, just a few areas but every one of them is completely essential. Tells you everything you need to know about Doom in a few seconds.

Deus Vult 2 MAP01. A stylish, bombastic opener that makes you feel like you're in an action movie. Perfect for a wad that's all about huge scale, architecture, and excess.

UAC Ultra MAP01. The bright red radiated outdoors right at the beginning and the bleakly monochrome military base past the airlock doors instantly pull you into its distinct and memorable setting.

Lunatic MAP01. An epic but kitschy moonbase scene that doesn't take itself at all seriously, setting the stage for a wad full of arcadey gameplay and ridiculous tongue-in-cheek humor. The music helps, too!

MAP01 (Python) of Sunder still stands out to me. Aside from just really liking it, I think it sets the tone of the wad (in terms of architecture and gameplay, more than theme) really well.

Also, related non-doom example: the first mission in Perfect Dark was reportedly built late in development, and showcases this trope to a T.

Edit: I second essel's mention of UAC Ultra MAP01. When someone new to the game asks me IRL for a Doom mod to try, UAC Ultra is usually among my recommendations, in no small part due to how engaging it is right from the start.

E1M1 still remains a excellent piece of design. Every area is a visual composition with well defined background, middle and foreground elements, that introduces objectives and obstacles in a very readable manner. There's a lot going on under the hood in that map that makes it a seamless experience.

Hell Revealed 2 has possibly my favorite PWAD opening map, but I couldn't tell you exactly why. (I should probably go play it again.)

This is going to sound weird coming from me of all people, but, Devilution's Map 1, provided it isnt totally different by now. Set up the whole wad very nicely, and was amazingly atmospheric.

IWADs? Staging Area, if it counts, and TNT's Map 1

Mithran Denizen said:

MAP01 (Python) of Sunder still stands out to me. Aside from just really liking it, I think it sets the tone of the wad (in terms of architecture and gameplay, more than theme) really well.

+1. oppressive, other-wordly. perfect opener for the set.

e4m1 of ultimate doom purely cause it's a great map, shame the rest of the episode doesn't follow up from it (aside from m2)

lunatic map01 sets the scene very well, along with being a cool map with great music.

plutonia map01 puts the challenge bar high from the start, too, and is very indicative of the types of challenge you are likely to see in the wad.

uac ultra 2 e1m1 definitely lets the player know we aren't in uac ultra 1 anymore, excellent introduction to the new playstyle of the wad.

going down map01 while doesn't play great overall because of the pistol gameplay (though by those standards is pretty good), is a great opener purely because of the wad's plot.

I've been playing Doom since it first came out so long ago, it's hard for me to choose a favorite map 01 because theres so many good ones out there. But if I can only choose one, it has to be Map 01: Staging Area from Doom 64, it pulled me right in.