Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Proktor87

Ghosts of Pingfang in progress

DeathevokatioN said:

I was being sarcastic, sorry it doesn't come across as well on the net. :>

Oh. my bad man. sorry

Dave The Daring said:

But the content is amateurish at best. If you want to carry on making this, then nobody is going to stop you, but I do think you're wasting your time.

Proktor87 said:

@ Dave the daring- I disagree

This is something that you should listen to feedback about. You cannot objectively judge quality of your own work, nobody can, but listening to views of various people can help you to get a more realistic view how things really are, instead of how you see them. Whether you like it or not, it matters when everybody thinks that a thing looks ugly / is bad, and you won't change this fact by simply claiming that you consider it good.

scifista42 said:

This is something that you should listen to feedback about. You cannot objectively judge quality of your own work, nobody can, but listening to views of various people can help you to get a more realistic view how things really are, instead of how you see them. Whether you like it or not, it matters when everybody thinks that a thing looks ugly / is bad, and you won't change this fact by simply claiming that you consider it good.

when did I say that I would? also a handful of people hating something doesnt make it ugly either. however, some people's points are similar so some changes need to be applied.

DeathevokatioN said:

Honestly, all I see here is a beginner wad, nothing that I don't see every other day, and the best advice I can give is to try and spend time to design a single level that you can be proud of before you make an ambitious multi level project.

This. Practice your map design before moving on to bigger, more ambitious things.

Dave The Daring said:

But the content is amateurish at best. If you want to carry on making this, then nobody is going to stop you, but I do think you're wasting your time.

Everyone starts somewhere. Maybe he'll get better with practice.

Seeing some of the vile filth people spew at newbie mappers is kind of disheartening. (But I have to admit, some of it was hilarious..)

I hope you continue making Doom maps and getting better despite the negative shit being slung at you. Take the worthwhile criticism in, though - Improving your map's textures, height variation, and all that stuff. The more time you spend making maps, the better they'll get :)

I look forward to your future works.

I agree. It's a learning experience. And I'm not giving up. I've got the drive, just have to apply more creativity into the maps and objects. Be back soon with more progress...

I saw Suitepee's playthrough of this, and I must be honest.

It was really bad.

Now, Proktor, I'm not saying you should give up mapping. In fact, I encourage you to continue with this project and to be a part of the community.

HOWEVER, a few pointers:
Get rid of the actual WWII photographs, as they make a lot of people (including myself) uncomfortable playing the wad. If you want to show the atrocities of war, including those based on real life examples, there are plenty of ways to do so without using actual atrocities. I don't believe you meant wrong putting the pictures in, but for a lot of people it seems exploitative.

The level design must be improved, immensely. I see you use a lot of colored light variations and so forth, which is good. But as many great Doomworlders have taught me, basic design comes first. Most of the levels consists of hallways filled with enemies and not much else. Had there been monster closets that opened up, or unexpected traps when you grab a key, gameplay would become much more exciting.

The props need working on, too. Trust me, as an ongoing sprite artists myself, I know how hard it is to make great looking monsters and weapons, and scenery, etc. I have no doubt that with time, your stuff's look will improve immensely.

Some of the desing aspects were really strange, too. All (or most) of the monsters, it seemed, drop minor health powerups when killed. I would have only ONE type of monster drop a health powerup, as having all of them giving health looks to astronomically decrease the difficulty, and only clutters the ground with more pickups.

The ending fight is simply set in a square room with ammo. Much needs to be added to improve this. You can still keep the layout simple, but there certainly needs to be more to it. A great example of a simple yet effective boss encounter is Doom II's "Grosse". Think about how with that map, they don't just place the player in front of a Cyberdemon. They build up the tension by having the player traverse a long hallway filled with nazis, towards a single door, and just before the player reaches it, it opens to reveal the boss. That's atmosphere!

There are other things to address, too. But remember, just because you're receiving harsh criticism doesn't mean you're being hated on. It can mean that we see potential in you that has not yet been reached. I believe with some more work and improvements, this wad may become something extraordinary! :)

I tried to open the Freaking game and somehow an error comes out written that the error is due to the language,how to fix it!?

obake said:

I saw Suitepee's playthrough of this, and I must be honest.

It was really bad.

Now, Proktor, I'm not saying you should give up mapping. In fact, I encourage you to continue with this project and to be a part of the community.

HOWEVER, a few pointers:
Get rid of the actual WWII photographs, as they make a lot of people (including myself) uncomfortable playing the wad. If you want to show the atrocities of war, including those based on real life examples, there are plenty of ways to do so without using actual atrocities. I don't believe you meant wrong putting the pictures in, but for a lot of people it seems exploitative.

The level design must be improved, immensely. I see you use a lot of colored light variations and so forth, which is good. But as many great Doomworlders have taught me, basic design comes first. Most of the levels consists of hallways filled with enemies and not much else. Had there been monster closets that opened up, or unexpected traps when you grab a key, gameplay would become much more exciting.

The props need working on, too. Trust me, as an ongoing sprite artists myself, I know how hard it is to make great looking monsters and weapons, and scenery, etc. I have no doubt that with time, your stuff's look will improve immensely.

Some of the desing aspects were really strange, too. All (or most) of the monsters, it seemed, drop minor health powerups when killed. I would have only ONE type of monster drop a health powerup, as having all of them giving health looks to astronomically decrease the difficulty, and only clutters the ground with more pickups.

The ending fight is simply set in a square room with ammo. Much needs to be added to improve this. You can still keep the layout simple, but there certainly needs to be more to it. A great example of a simple yet effective boss encounter is Doom II's "Grosse". Think about how with that map, they don't just place the player in front of a Cyberdemon. They build up the tension by having the player traverse a long hallway filled with nazis, towards a single door, and just before the player reaches it, it opens to reveal the boss. That's atmosphere!

There are other things to address, too. But remember, just because you're receiving harsh criticism doesn't mean you're being hated on. It can mean that we see potential in you that has not yet been reached. I believe with some more work and improvements, this wad may become something extraordinary! :)

Good pointers... however, I'm informing you that I will be using real photos for the enemies and props / corpses... it is the best way to display this even if it seems tasteless, which I am not purposely doing or mean disrespect. It's not an exploit.. it's no different than watching a segment on history channel or a research clip. Only difference is it's in a game.The victims can not be harmed they just appear and disappear at times when you move through the maps. Like a scare. I am being careful at what I use in this, I'm not going to use extremely grotesque photos or anything like that. If you do not want to end up playing it for that reason I understand. The enemies will have a few animations like with weapon attacks but not an extensive amount of animation that is not necessary and would look awkward. The story is changed. Now it just simply about a man traversing through the catacombs in China where the murders took place... seeking an artifact guarded by the spirits of the unit 731. once he collects it is when the shit happens.. Each and every map is being redone from scratch... with standard doom maps used for inspirations and recreations. standard doom II weapon skins will be used too. most of the useless functions like human shield and suicides will be removed too... more ideas along the way. Will post a couple pics soon

sincity2100 said:

I tried to open the Freaking game and somehow an error comes out written that the error is due to the language,how to fix it!?

I'm not sure what error you mean... but this game is going to change so just wait for the update