Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Slow movement

I must confess that I had mixed feelings about the Doomguy moving at a "crawling" pace - I recently tried MOH:AA and was thoroughly annoyed about particularly the slow movement speed.

But since Doom 3's levels is said to be designed with the slow pace in mind, I think it might end up being a good thing in the end.
I've given up hoping for an old Doom-style gameplay long ago - as long as the new game seems realistic (and realistic it seems judging from the impressions around the net) and has lots of action, I'm confident that in a sense it will capture the old feel.

Anybody disappointed/happy about this?

Fredrik said:

Let's hope there is a run function and it wasn't used in the demo :)

Sorry to break your hope - according to an article I read somewhere on the net (the DW front page has a link to it among other links), the player runs occasionally and it feels like when you hold down the 'walk' button in other FPSs.

dsm? The ingame video features the original lost soul. It's transparant and has fire in its ass.

Shaviro said:

dsm? The ingame video features the original lost soul. It's transparant and has fire in its ass.

Wow =P

in the doom iii environment, do u think it would be a good idea to run? i think it might have the side effect of rushing and that would be a deffinate killer here.

I hate slow movement in shooter games :/ It should be at least as fast as Quake2!
If you can move in different speeds, run, walk, crawl, you have a more varied gameplay also in singleplayer. Sometimes it should be usefull to run away from a monster and hide!

running away -> girlish behavior...stand your man - weapons blazing! (hit F5 for reloading last save game)

hmmm...when the new doom marine only runs at walk pace the from-all-loved discipline speed-doom3 will be boring as hell to watch...

Remember that the main charchter may start out differentyhl than he ends up by the end of the game. If youre going to hell and back you may aquire some angelic qualities. Dont assume that Doom will be like every other game

Shaviro said:

Seen it, but I didn't see any fire in its "ass" - to me it looked just like transparent skulls - no more no less.
Check my impression of the video in the "leaked footage" thread.

uniQ said:

running away -> girlish behavior...stand your man - weapons blazing! (hit F5 for reloading last save game)

:D I want to have continous action, not reload after reload :p

And I donĀ“t use running only for girlish running away. One of the most entertaining things in Doom, Quake and Quake2 is: getting the monsters upset against each other. And you have to be quick and agile to do that!

dsm said:

Seen it, but I didn't see any fire in its "ass" - to me it looked just like transparent skulls - no more no less.
Check my impression of the video in the "leaked footage" thread.

check my reply in that thread.

Psyonisis said:

I want to run at 60+ mph... just like the originals

1. That is impossible to make it look good with the models.
2. It wouldn't be as scary.
3. This is a joke, right?

:)

I don't care much about running speed in Doom 3
(the old Doom seemed slow as Hell compared to Wolf3d so this only seems fitting), what I care about is that the enemies' hitpoints should be as similar to the old Doom game as possible imo.
I don't mind that they made the zombs a little tougher (when I consider it, it's actually rather cool), but that imp seems waay too tough imo. Dammit, it seems like the imp is even more dangerous than the pinky ('cause I'm 99% sure that the pinky is as tough as in the old game - in the video the doomguy shot it a couple times with the pistol and finished it off with one sb shotgun blast, that could've been the old pinky as well) as it's faster and seemingly almost as tough!
id needs to make it a little weaker - it's the weakest non-human monster in Doom dammit!
(sorry if I seem a little aggressive, because I'm not that aggressive).

What for?

LET THEM MAKE THE FUCKING ENEMIES AS HARD AS POSSIBLE.

I want to come out after every confrontation wishing it was over already. I'm SO going to enjoy this game without saving.

Zaldron said:

What for?

I want to come out after every confrontation wishing it was over already. I'm SO going to enjoy this game without saving.

I agree! I still remember the joy and terror of playing shareware DOOM the first time without saving :)

Zaldron said:

What for?

This is DOOM, not Quake. Doom had imps that you could blow away in one shotgun blast and seeing how the new imp is fast as Hell, it wouldn't be too much to ask for that they at least made it as weak as the old one. And Zaldron, there will be LOTS of tough monsters for you to be satisfied with (BoH, "afterglow's mum", the Archvile) - the old Doom had lots of tough monsters (at least Doom 2), so I can't see your reason to complain if they keep the weakest critters like they SHOULD be: Weak!

On another note: It seems that the new imp IS about as weak as the old one after all - just watched the video again and I noticed a second encounter with an imp (there are a few imp encounters), where the player fired two shots - the first shot didn't seem to really hit, but the second blast brought it to its knee.

I hope to see some monsters the size of three Cyberdemons when in hell. That would be so damn awesome.